Excessive usage of water maker membranes

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Mark;

Some potential causes that maybe worth looking at and a couple of questions;

  1. How many hours do you put on your membranes before they need replacing?
  2. Any potential source of chlorine in your main tank that is used for back flushing?
  3. Any potential for freshwater presence in the membranes when you start increasing the pressure in the membranes? Think about the process that you go through to make water and see if there is a possibility that some of the fresh water that was used to flush the system, could still be remaining.
  4. Do you have a low pressure pump feeding the high pressure pump, or is it just the water pressure from the thru hull?
  5. Are you cruising fulltime or do you store the boat certain periods of the year? If you leave the boat for more than a couple of weeks, how do you treat the membranes for that period?

We have a 150l/hr AC water maker, so our experience may be very different than yours. I would suggest a call to Martin. He is responsive and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He has been able to walk us through several issues with our water maker and his solutions and suggestions have usually been spot on. Let me know if you need his contact info.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099