FA50 Silent mode on A54?

Chris Likins

Hello All,

Can someone explain to me how to go into “Silent Mode” on the Furuno FA50 so the AIS only receives and doesn’t transmit (Amel54 #133)? With the standard network setup I thought there should be a function on the Navnet3d menus but it doesn’t seem to exist.

Any help or advise appreciated!

Chris

Bartłomiej Czarciński

Hello, for Furuno FA-50 you need install additional switch which is Extra accessory.

Bartek Czarciński

Porter McRoberts

Chris. I can call you and walk you through.
Porter McRoberts
A54-152
What’s app 754 265 2206

On Oct 28, 2021, at 8:31 PM, Chris Likins <likinsca@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Can someone explain to me how to go into “Silent Mode” on the Furuno FA50 so the AIS only receives and doesn’t transmit (Amel54 #133)? With the standard network setup I thought there should be a function on the Navnet3d menus but it doesn’t seem to exist.

Any help or advise appreciated!

Chris

Chris Likins

So I went to install the physical switch as mentioned above, however the purple and gray wires simply don’t exist on my FA50. Also, in the menu screen on the chart plotter, the “silent” option is also non existent.

It appears there might be a few different versions? The US manual specifies you can add a switch between the purple and gray wires, and it also specifies how to access silent mode through the menu screens.

The French manual however, omits the purple and gray wires on the wiring diagram and it makes no mention of a silent mode in the menu descriptions... it appears mine matches the French version??

Or is it possible I need to update firmware to access the silent menu? I have my doubts though since the physical wires for a silent switch don’t exist on mine...

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Chris,

I am pretty sure my silent switch if fitted would be on the white wire on our FA50.

Would need to check this however.

Regards
Ross and Donna
SM2K #356

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

Nicole e Nilson Noronha

We don’t have the silent option on ours either and yet we seem to be in a just receiving option (I don’t find my boat in marine traffic, but I see the boats around me).
Next week a Furuno guy is coming to check it out and we’ll see about these wires and mode options.
Any news I’ll let you know
Regards

Nicole and Nilson
A54 #075
SV Marfim Madri
Santa Cruz de Tenerife

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 at 11:08 Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Chris,

I am pretty sure my silent switch if fitted would be on the white wire on our FA50.

Would need to check this however.

Regards
Ross and Donna
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Nicolas Klene

Hi everybody
I have just done that on my boat , because I couldn’t see the correct name of the boat on marine traffic .
Go to trueheading.se , download the free software proAIS2 ,choose window of Mac, install and you will see a button with the silent option ….No need for the switch, at least with my equipment on board DarNico!
Safe Nav , hiding info away from pirates !!
Nicolas
Sv DarNico
Amel53#471

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

Sv Garulfo

Chris,

Found on

« Your power cable, of the FA-50unit, has other wires including the ones you are looking for. If you don't find the wires, then you might have an older FA-50 unit prior to this option being added. »

Best,
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahiti

On 28 Oct 2021, at 16:05, Nicolas Klene via groups.io <laixoi@...> wrote:

Hi everybody
I have just done that on my boat , because I couldn’t see the correct name of the boat on marine traffic .
Go to trueheading.se , download the free software proAIS2 ,choose window of Mac, install and you will see a button with the silent option ….No need for the switch, at least with my equipment on board DarNico!
Safe Nav , hiding info away from pirates !!
Nicolas
Sv DarNico
Amel53#471

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

Chris Likins

Hi all,

Furuno tells me I have an older FA50 which is not capable of silent mode. Their solution? Buy a new one... 😅

Of course! 🙁

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 9:06 AM Chris Likins <likinsca@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Furuno tells me I have an older FA50 which is not capable of silent mode. Their solution? Buy a new one... 😅

Porter McRoberts

Oh well!

Off to Australia this am.
Trying to get to Coffs Harbour where we may or may not have to do quarantine.
Brisbane is a certainty.

Ahh the joys of dealing with bureaucracy in Covid times!

Hope your well Bill!

Cheers

Porter and crew