FA 50 GPS Rollover Update - Password for Memory Clear

Dean Gillies

Hi all,
When I return to Stella in a few weeks I will need to update my FA-50 firmware for the recent GPS rollover issue as well as install the hard-wired switch to mute AIS transmission.  I am now thinking about what I will need, and wondered if I need password/credentials to clear the memory of the FA-50 before updating. I have the user "service" login/password which allows programming the MMSI for example, but is there another "dealer service" password that I need to effect this upgrade?
Many thanks
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Ralph Heilig

Hi Dean,

you need no special Keyword. Just follow the Furuno Instruction. I did the FA-50 update 2 weeks ago and it was easy and worked fine on my 54. The Furuno GP-150 I did send to Furuno Germany and got it back last week. This week I reinstalled it and all is working functioning now. Also my Furuno Navtex is working good now again...

Ralph
SV SAnta Isabella
A54-144

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Dean and Ralph,
You are right there are two different passwords. I found one for  service on the internet and it worked ( 6 ? numbers) fine. I have it on the boat in La Rochelle, but I am now in Florida. If it is not too late for you I will be on the  boat back the first days of April and will send it to the group.
Wolfgang  SY Elise Amel 54#162

Ralph Heilig

Hi All,
you need no User and Password. The Softwareupdate is storing all your stettings at the beginning and then restoring it after the update. I had nothing to manualy set after the update. All parameters as before.

Here the procedure:

FA50 Update Procedures via PC
1. Preparation
(1) Connect a PC to the FA50 via ethernet connection
(2) Download the FA50 update program archive to your PC, and unzip it.
(3) Open “View Network Connections” from the start menu on PC, and select the “Local area
connection” and open the properties.
(4) Select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” in [Networking] tab and open “Properties”.
(5) Select the radio button “Use the following IP address:” and enter the following IP address and
the subnet mask information. Setting of Default Gateway or DNS is not required.
a. PC IP Address: 172.31.1.1
b. Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

2. Update Procedure
(1) Open the program folder and run the batch file “nUPFA50”. A Command Prompt window will
open.
(2) Turn on the FA50. Within approximately 10 seconds the message appears saying
My IPaddress=172.31.1.1
P0>connection IPaddress=172.31.24.3 000%
P0>Now Writing
(3) A boot program for applications automatically starts updating. When finished, a message saying
P0>connection IPaddress=172.31.24.3 100%
P0>finish upload program. (size=204048)
The upload should take approximately 20 seconds to complete.
(4) When the message “Press any key to continue” appears, press any key for the Command
Prompt to exit.
(5) Disconnect the unit and it should be up to date.

More Infos:
fa50_update_procedures_via_pc.pdf (furunousa.com)

Here you can download the software:
FA50 (furunousa.com)

Ralph
SY Santa Isabella
A54-144

Billy Newport

Can confirm this experience on my 55. No password.

Billy

Dean Gillies

Ralph, Wolfgang and Billy,
Ok I understand, thank you for your support.
Best regards,
Dean
SV Stella
A540154

Wolfgang Weber

Hello to the group,
back in La Rochelle I have the passwords for Furuno FA-50
for ship static edit (MMSI etc)  LoginName :furunoservice
                                             Password :  fa50

for service                               LoginName : service
                                              Password : 652111

this worked for my FA-50 new in 12/2015.

Greetings from La Rochelle. I just saw at the ponton a new Amel 50 number 66 !

My Furuno GP-150 was updated by Furuno Germany in Rellingen and the report says, they could only update after opening the item and cool it because the board had a heat damage..I know that all ports were broken  since 3/2015 when I switched to a digitalyacht 150 device and multiplex. They informed me about the broken part - I googled it and only the part is 1.100 €.  So with the next problem I will put in this hole a B&G Vulcan 9 which will fit.

Wolfgang Weber SY ELISE Amel 54#162 La Rochelle