Topics

Failure of the Raymarine autopilot linear drive M81134 24v

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Hello!

Has your autopilot's electric motor failed?

If you have heard of people's motors failing, I'll buy a new one on the spot, but I've only ever heard of clutch, belt, and bearing failures.

My autopilot works perfectly well but, seeing, as it is, that the drive is now 18 years old, Pochon in La Rochelle is suggesting the electric motor carbons be replaced, except that Raymarine does not sell them, so Pochon says to buy a new motor for €400.

Thanks in advance for your input,

s/v Peregrinus

La Rochelle, France

I experienced a Raymarine clutch failure, but that failure was because the autopilot voltage to the clutch was set at 24-volts. Raymarine Type 2 drives have a 12-volt clutch and a 24-volt motor. They are very reliable, but I think 18 years may be near the end of life for the motor and clutch.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar