Faux deck stain

Richard Dallett

I have some spots where the color is gone from the faux deck, almost like drops of bleach hit it. Is there any stain that can be applied to restore the look?
RichardDallett
Mamba
A54/68

Richard,

I have seen acid or products with acid like On-OFF cause this to the colored Gelcoat faux teak. I think if that is the cause there is no reversing unless you can remove just the top surface of the Gelcoat. If while trying the following you see white, you have gone too deep.

Gelcoat can be compounded. My European friends refer to it as polishing. Some people in Texas refer to it as polishing with rubbing compound. Specifically, the process I am talking about is actually removing the top layer of the Gelcoat.

I like 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound. You might also try 2000 Grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper

image.png
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 1:24 PM Richard Dallett <dallettrichard@...> wrote:
I have some spots where the color is gone from the faux deck, almost like drops of bleach hit it. Is there any stain that can be applied to restore the look?
RichardDallett
Mamba
A54/68

Richard Dallett

Thanks, I will try it.

[...]

Bill Kinney

I fear you will usually be disappointed with trying to “rub out” the faded spots on an Amel deck.

The way these were made was the “brown” gel coat was brushed into the mold by hand, and then white gelcoat sprayed behind that, and then the fiberglass laminate laid down.  Because the brown layer was applied by hand, the thickness control was poor.  The brown pigment slowly fades in the UV sunlight. Places where it was applied thinly, it fades completely and the white shows through.  In many places you will actually see the original brush strokes.  In places where the gel coat was applied thickly, it does not visibly fade, but does become brittle and tends to chip easily.

The brown pigment contains a good deal of iron, which makes also makes it vulnerable to cleaners that contain oxalic acid.  If these are left on for longer than recommended, they will pull more color out of the plastic.  They can be great for removing rust stains and such, but be sure to rinse well as soon as done.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada