Feruno GPS GP 90

ngtnewington Newington

Data ports on GPS
I have discovered that the main Feruno GPS that supplies position data to the VHF and the nav system as well as SSB is only working from one port not three.
Initially the navnet stopped getting position but the VHF did, so I swapped the ports and now the navnet gets position data but not the VHF.
This has happed all of a sudden. I conclude that the GPS had a problem.
Has anyone been down this route?
Any advice?
I am thinking it should either be sent for service or replaced…but maybe there is another solution?
Nick
Amelia
AML 54-019 sailing back towards Patmos

In my opinion, your GP 90 is at about its end of life. That said, I believe there are 3 separate boards in the GP90 and it is probably only one board failing. I had this happen to a GP80 and luckily "I found the Furno guy" in Darwin, Australia who had a non-working GP80. He swapped the failing board in mine.

If you can "find the guy" in Greece, you may be able to repair the GP90. The GP90 was replaced by the GP150 and both of those are out of production. I think you may have an issue with newer GPS receivers because unlike the GP 80 - 150, I do not believe you will find multiple ports, rather they will rely on the NEMA2k backbone.

Find the guy.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 6:20 AM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Data ports on GPS
I have discovered that the main Feruno GPS that supplies position data to the VHF and the nav system as well as SSB is only working from one port not three.
Initially the navnet stopped getting position but the VHF did, so I swapped the ports and now the navnet gets position data but not the VHF.
This has happed all of a sudden. I conclude that the GPS  had a problem.
Has anyone been down this route?
Any advice?
I am thinking it should either be sent for service or replaced…but maybe there is another solution?
Nick
Amelia
AML 54-019 sailing back towards Patmos

Arno Luijten

Or you can this one. Not too expensive and no additional work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133846707783?epid=655828916&hash=item1f29e2ae47:g:hxwAAOSwqYdhFTpN

Dean Gillies

Nick,
My GP150 suffered a similar fate, it works except for data output.  I installed a couple of cheap stand-alone "mushroom" type 0183 GPS receivers behind the panel in the chart table. One is a hot-spare, the other feeds the radios and the Furuno chartplotter.  I then re-transmit the data from the Furuno chartplotter to the B&G subsystem.  I left the GP-150 in place as it provides an independent GPS readout at the table.  

You'll find those things at various price points on eBay/Amazon etc.
Cheers
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154