Topics

Fibreglass cowling enclosure around C Drive


seagasm
 

Does anyone have any information/sketch about the fibreglass enclosure around the C drive forward of the propeller. How is it secured and how can it be removed for maintenance.

Thank you
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM #171


eric freedman
 

Barry,
Why do you want to remove it?
Fair Winds
Eric
SM 376 Kimberlite

On October 4, 2020 at 7:03 PM seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:

Does anyone have any information/sketch about the fibreglass enclosure around the C drive forward of the propeller. How is it secured and how can it be removed for maintenance.

Thank you
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM #171

 


seagasm
 

Hi Eric, I don't want to remove it. The guy who did the survey noticed some movement to which I replied it was mounted on some rubber mounts somehow (I think).

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171


eric freedman
 

Hi Barry,
At the base of the assembly where it joins the ballast there is an area which is round and probably covered with
a black silicone type material. It is probably domed , indicating that the mounting bolt below it is loose. Remove the
black stuff and see if tightening the bolt does the trick. There is also a (i think) a rubber sleeve around the bolt. If tightening the bolt is not possible then replace the sleeve. Then fill with a polysulfide or silicone.
Fair Winds,
Eric

On October 4, 2020 at 9:12 PM seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:

Hi Eric, I don't want to remove it. The guy who did the survey noticed some movement to which I replied it was mounted on some rubber mounts somehow (I think).

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

 


seagasm
 

Thanks Eric, I don't think it is of any concern, the surveyor picked it up and this was his first Amel so he had no understanding of the construction.

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171


eric freedman
 

It Doesn't hurt to check it,
The assembly should not be loose.
It probably 30 minutes of work, mostly digging out the sealant.
Eric

On October 4, 2020 at 9:22 PM seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:

Thanks Eric, I don't think it is of any concern, the surveyor picked it up and this was his first Amel so he had no understanding of the construction.

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

 


Jose Venegas
 

Barry,

The only time you will need to do something about it is when you start feeling vibration on the prop while motoring or motor sailing in waves. I recently had to replace the rubber sleeve since the bolt was all the way in. Not a big deal but it required to take the boat out of the water and a lot of torque to unscrew the bolt.

Jose
Ipanema SM 278


 

Barry, if you like, have the surveyor call me. The rubber bushing that Eric describes is held in place by a bolt that is tapped into the iron ballast. The process of changing the rubber bushing is fairly simple. If you can move the C-Drive side to side 5mm, or more, the bushing needs replacing. I have the instructions in my Amel Book. I also have drawings, etc.

I hope this helps you.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 8:22 PM seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:
Thanks Eric, I don't think it is of any concern, the surveyor picked it up and this was his first Amel so he had no understanding of the construction.

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171


Craig Briggs
 
Edited

Barry, Not only will the rubber bushing on the bottom allow some minor wiggle, but there are also "O" rings and a neoprene sleeve at the top around the "trumpet", allowing some wiggle there, plus the upper "C" drive-to-engine frame "engine" mounts. Point being the whole assembly is engineered to have vibration dampening and will move some when forcibly "wiggled" - it is not a rigid structure as your surveyor may have presumed.
--
Craig, SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL
PS. I have pulled mine off for a bent shaft and it was great to be able to thoroughly get all the crud out from behind it and slather bottom paint in there - not sure I'd put it on a regular PM list, thought.