Topics

Fiji Pearl rendezvous

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Colin, we are departing NZ for Fiji this week, planning Wednesday so perhaps the two Pearls may meet. Later we are considering a summer cruise of the Australian east coast, Brisbane and south. Might be able to pick your brains.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 12 August 2019 at 17:23 islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

Hi Bill

You are spot-on as usual. Especially when it comes to power consumption, we all use these boat very differently, and hence my rather practical detailed examples to illustrate this down to cooking preferences. Even on our boat, the different patterns of usage and issues are totally different between a husband and wife situation now, and for the one year when I had crew join me.

Yes, the lucky new owner of this boat is going to get a huge amount of detailed information about precisely every change we made. Also, since we are only the 2nd owners, and the first owner had Amel deliver the new boat to him, and then fell ill and never used it, but employed an Amel technician to care for it for 10 years, I am the only person who has ever changed anything at all, so it will all be there.

By the way, thank you for your kind assistance with the total set of new sails we ordered. These are almost ready for delivery to us now, and waiting for when we arrive in Fiji.

Best regards
Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, 2001 SM #332
Niue, Pacific
Where is Island Pearl now, and where has she been? ... click here...  https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra.../display/IslandPearl2

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 1:54 AM CW Bill Rouse < brouse@...> wrote:
Colin,

Very understandable with lots of actual and current information. Thanks for that.

There are many ways to cruise and many more methods to power your requirements aboard an Amel. When we account for personal needs and wishes, it is easy for anyone to clearly see that no one solution will fit everyone. In fact, it is likely that no single solution fits anyone else's.

When you turnover your Amel to new owners, be sure that what you've added and modified is completely documented and understood.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019, 6:22 AM islandpearl2_sm2k332 < colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:
Hi Scott

In answer to your questions, here is a pic of the boat from the drone we took recently in Marquesas showing you where the solar and wind gens are located. (We have 540W on the davits plus 500w above the cockpit. Unlike Delos who placed the wind gens at the rear, we placed another small handy arch in front of the Emerek arch to brace it even further for a much heavier dinghy (if ever required), and this is also where I now also have handy space for anything I wish to mount in the future such as security cameras, lights, the IridiumGo Cruiser package dome aerial etc..etc. By locating the wind gens here, I feel it is more away from shading the panels,(but no doubt does shade bits of them at times?). Although we have Victron equipment (eg Victron 3000w inverter / 70amp 24v charger) and remote controls, I did not bother to add the fancy Victron monitoring tools, but have not really noticed any reduction in solar output since adding the 2nd arch and 2 x wind gens.

We have covered a lot of distance in the past two years so I find we are often full of power, and simply dumping excess solar/wind power generated. For that reason, and without having Lithium (where due to lower weight and space requirements, I would be very tempted to add much more battery storage capacity to capture that all excess power for rainy weeks)  I am far less interested in the cumulative solar or wind power generated than I am in  when it is generated eg at night or on cloudy/rainy days .

In terms of the Duo 100 watermaker, we have at times run it in good sunny periods just on the batteries, but that has only been for incremental water after poor planning on our part. After cruising the boat permanently for just over two years, we have become far smarter at forward planning our water and energy requirements, and picking the best times to run the watermaker. Possibly this has been easier for us than for most as we have done over 30,000 nm in this time, (see our live tracker page link here:   https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra.../display/IslandPearl2 )  so have sailed and motor sailed a lot, and thus had far more opportunity than most to not run the genset. Also, these days it is just Lauren and me on the boat, and with a 1000L water tank, it is has been very rare indeed that we have ever put the genset on to make water, in fact, I cannot even remember a recent time we had to do this. Previously when we had 3 crew on board, with everyone using the showers, electric kettle, etc in a much less coordinated way, we simply could not plan our energy usage to the same level, and the genset was on daily.

On passages there are very often times when you will need to motor sail, (for example last week on the 1200nm passage from Bora Bora to Niue we had just 4kts - 9kts of wind for 4 long days! ouch!) and that's a prime example of when we like to make most our water, as I am then looking for ways to dump all that excess power, especially when the sun is also shining and when the batteries are already 100%. What I prefer to do on these occasions is to use the inverter and then run the Duo on 230v ac (rather than on 24v dc), as I find it slightly faster than on DC.

Regarding the Induction Stove, we purchased a "home-style" above kitchen benchtop "Phillips brand" plugin induction stove. These are pretty inexpensive nowadays and are awesome little units if you get a good quality brand name.  Our one has power options of 1800w, 1200w, 800w, 400w and is amazingly fast! So, for example, knowing we have a 3000w inverter, and we tend not to load it more than 2500w at any one time (eg computer, 1200w stove fast boiling, 750w microwave & plenty reserve) if possible, and so we have learned to adjust both the microwave power watts, and the stovetop watts as needed, for example, the rice pot on the induction comes onto the boil,(then down to 400w) and the veggies in the microwave need 900w instead of 750w to cook faster.

The Phillips induction stove is one hotplate only glass top unit, and it fits perfectly on top of the standard Amel gas stove, and clips in under the existing pot holder steel rails. The great thing about this is it is perfectly gimballed and we have often had, for example, a huge pot of curry cooking there in 3m+ waves and it stays perfectly on the stovetop, but we still need to think about designing a decent stainless set of pot clamps for the little induction unit, just in case! Of course, being a benchtop model, we then also have the option of moving it onto the side benchtop too, and then using both gas cookers and induction, but this has never yet been necessary for us. Our gas usage is so seldom that we last filled our propane gas up in Mauritius 1 year ago and it is still full!

The last point I should mention is your hot water system (as this is normally the only time when we sometimes need to run the genset now, unplanned .for 15 - 20mins at night. (for the Admiral's shower). We decided to replace our hot water boiler with a new 1200w model (previously 600 or 700w?) unit in 2017 just before cruising. This is amazingly fast and cuts down the heating time (and hence ad hoc unplanned genset use time too!) from 50mins to less than 20mins approx for 40L. We can, and sometimes do, simply heat it via the inverter from the batteries if the wind is blowing hard at night etc.., but when I sell the boat later this year, I would probably advise the new owner to think carefully about this in term of his/her needs and crew plans, and potentially remove this option (ie. to run it off batteries) as one could easily have a new crew member turn it on and forget, and then run down the house batteries far faster than one might like!

Best regards
Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II  , SM #332. (for sale in November in Australia when we complete our circumnavigation - contact me or the broker)
Niue (& Tonga next week)

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 4:43 AM Scott SV Tengah < sv.tengah@...> wrote:
Colin,

Good to hear from you! It's amazing we're now so far apart given we were nearly next to each other just a few months ago.

That's great that you have so much generation capacity. So you can run the water maker (25amps) and induction (80+ amps) from your non-lithium batteries? I never tried that on my previous gel batteries because of lack of a capable inverter, but I didn't think it would have worked. One "weakness" of my current system is that I can't replenish, via renewable sources, all the power we use. With our current usage level, it doesn't make sense to have more than 450AH capacity because we don't generate enough renewable power daily so it's a question of how often we have to run the genset. Where do you have all that solar? Just on the arch or elsewhere too?

Do you have longer term data on the output of the Rutlands? I have heard so many conflicting stories on what people "think" their wind generators output on a daily basis. It would be interesting to see what they produce on average, over the course of months, in the normal trade wind circumnavigation route. Also, what about noise/hum/resonance?

Also where do you have them mounted? If I were to add them, I would put one on the mizzen mast and that's it. I have tested minor shading on the panels and even with my parallel wired 3 panel setup, solar output drops considerably with shading. I'm concerned that the solar reduction attributed to shading via a setup like Delos with the windgens located nearly directly above the panels would cancel out any output from the windgen. Lithium will not make windgens, if they produce considerable power, unnecessary. I would love to have more renewable generation capacity.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Danny

Awesome, let's take this off-line to svislandpearl@... email address, but it would be really nice to meet, and also have Amel "Island Pearl" meet "Ocean Pearl" as previously planned had we sailed to New Zealand!. We very much look forward to that.

Our rough plan is to be in Tonga (Vavua Group only) from late this week (if we get some wind) for a couple of weeks, then over to Fiji by 27th August. We will clear in at Savusavu and, since this will be our first time in Fiji, we are looking for advice regarding the very best anchorages and places to visit for an approx. 3-week stay.

Our new sails arrive from QSails at Port Devaru in the first week of September, but other than that commitment, our time is pretty open. We will clear out of Fiji on approx 21 Sept and head over to the Loyalty Islands for a special rally clearance, and then spend October cruising New Caledonia. Around 23rd October we sail for Brisbane (or possibly Bundaberg) and for this last leg of our circumnavigation to Australia we have joined the "Down Under Rally" as this enables the special Loyalty Islands clearance, in addition to providing many other valuable to us benefits and discounts back in Australia, including at our favourite Gold Coast "Boat Works" yard where we will haul out in Nov/Dec.

Kind regards
Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, sm#332
Niue
Sat phone (brief texts only) +8816 2348 5491

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 6:10 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Leslie

Hello
Danny,
I see Ocean Pearl on F pier Opua (we're on G), I wondered what you were up to.... haven't seen anyone on the boat...mind you I've had my head down tail up for the last week with generator problems and other issues...going home tomorrow in the am.

Colin,
Been following your exploits with interest, you've done really well.

Pity I will miss both of you, Elyse isn't going anywhere until next year.

Fair winds

Alan
Elyse SM437

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hey Alan

Nice to hear from you. I think my "Colin.Streeter14" Facebook "LIKES" went down by 50% when you shut down your FB account and I lost half my friends:)!

I had been wondering what you have been up to, and which of your latest upgrades to the lovely SV Elyse I could copy next and implement too. Sorry to hear about the generator, and hope that gets quickly resolved. How many hours on it now?

Sorry to miss you but will try to ensure I meet you in Australia some time. You probably noticed that we are going to sell Island Pearl at the end of this circumnavigation, and this is surely going to break my heart. Anyhow all good things must come to an end and so I am already turning my mind to what to do next, probably an RV trip around Australia for a few years for a start...?

Best regards
Colin

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 9:27 PM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hello
Danny,
I see Ocean Pearl on F pier Opua (we're on G), I wondered what you were up to.... haven't seen anyone on the boat...mind you I've had my head down tail up for the last week with generator problems and other issues...going home tomorrow in the am.

Colin,
Been following your exploits with interest, you've done really well.

Pity I will miss both of you, Elyse isn't going anywhere until next year.

Fair winds

Alan
Elyse SM437

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Alin, we will be there today doing final prep for tomorrow.

Regards

Danny

On 12 August 2019 at 21:27 Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

Hello
Danny,
I see Ocean Pearl on F pier Opua (we're on G), I wondered what you were up to.... haven't seen anyone on the boat...mind you I've had my head down tail up for the last week with generator problems and other issues...going home tomorrow in the am.

Colin,
Been following your exploits with interest, you've done really well.

Pity I will miss both of you, Elyse isn't going anywhere until next year.

Fair winds

Alan
Elyse SM437

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Colin,

We’ve been in Fiji since May 6th and have done much exploration.

1st thought: good choice to clear in Savusavu.  Other Customs/Immigration stations are quite bureaucratic.  Expect the BioSecurity to be Green Nazis but quite harmless.
2nd: go to sailsouthpacific.com and buy their Sail Fiji package.
3rd:  if you don’t have it, get the Navionics Boating App for iPad.  Their sonar charts are great.
4th: plan a slog to Vanua Balavu (Lau group) and spend a few days in the Bay of Islands.  Thus far in our travels, this is one of the best.  Then after winds go East, dash over to Fulanga.  Stop where you wish on the way back North.  Pick up a mooring ball for a few days at Paradise Resort in Taveuni for days of landlubbing.  Then go to Viani Bay and dive with Marina on the White Wall etc (Less expensive than Paradise and nice anchorage… set up an anchor trip line in case you get stuck on a bommie.)  The Rainbow Reef lies N & S of the mouth of Viani Bay not in Taveuni as many guide books suggest.  (Ex diving instructor but these were some of the best dives anywhere..) The Kadavu group.  Stop at Yaukavelevu for a swim with Mantas... loads of them. Also a nice 6 Star resort.  Then back to Suva for provisions (no other interest in our opinion) and sail to Beqa for some time. Lastly to Musket Cove/Vuda/Denarau before doing the Yasawas.

You have loads of options.  :-)

Feel free to ask questions.

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, Fiji.

On 12 Aug 2019, at 19:11, islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

[...]

WARNING
Be VERY careful with Navionics in the Yasawa's. In many places they are dead wrong...eg they don't show the commonly used, and marked, channel into the Blue Lagoon from the E, just a big reef, and the reefs they show don't often correlate with reality
ADVICE
Get hold of paper chart F5 and make good use of the Mk1 eyeball.
Cheers
Alan

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Jean-Pierre

Thank you very much for this excellent info (and Alan for the addition). This is exactly what I was hoping to get as we only have 3 weeks there and don't want to waste that time in the wrong places.

Very best regards
Colin & Lauren Streeter
Niue (&Tonga later this week?)

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:02 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
[...]

There are no wrong places in Fiji. enjoy

Danny

On 13 August 2019 at 11:34 islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

[...]

Just wrong charts!

Sorry I missed you Danny....left for Oz at sparrows this am

Fair winds

Alan

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Same in Fiji, same in Indonesia, same in Vanuatu.

You should have Google Map Overlays for all your anchorages. OpenCPN
with the google map overlays is a good solution. Also, I would
suggest forward looking sonar for anyone doing a circumnavigation.

Ken

On 8/12/19, Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
WARNING
Be VERY careful with Navionics in the Yasawa's. In many places they are dead
wrong...eg they don't show the commonly used, and marked, channel into the
Blue Lagoon from the E, just a big reef, and the reefs they show don't often
correlate with reality
ADVICE
Get hold of paper chart F5 and make good use of the Mk1 eyeball.
Cheers
Alan

Paul Osterberg

Ken
I'm thinking of installing a forward looking sonar. Is there any one you recommend?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

I like the one that JP (the previous owner) installed on Aquarius.
Easy to use and easy to install.

Echo Sounder 2D Professional.

Two places to buy in the USA.

GEMECO MARINE ACCESSO
Tel.: +1 803 693 0777
Email: info@...
Website: http://www.gemeco.com

TECHNILAB LLC
Tel.: +1 614 795 8347
Email: sales@...
Website: http://store.technilabco.com

On 8/15/19, Paul Osterberg <@Kerpa> wrote:
Ken
I'm thinking of installing a forward looking sonar. Is there any one you
recommend?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Alan Leslie

Hi Colin,

Sorry about the FB !! ....much happier without it, life is simple.

Look fwd to catching up in Oz sometime.

Sure the generator issue will be solved...hours?...don;t remember bit I think <2000

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

NICOLAS KLENE <n.klene@...>

Hi Ken
Do you use Open CPN on a Mac ?

Nick
Still without a boat 🚣‍♀️

Paul Brown

Hi Paul, last year I had the latest B&G installed and despite a software upgrade introduced later last year it works really well, in the boat speed needs to be less than 5kns to maintain accuracy and clarity, I’m happy

Regards Paul - Fortuna II 55#17

On 15 Aug 2019, at 9:41 am, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Ken
I'm thinking of installing a forward looking sonar. Is there any one you recommend?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Not sure if this is to Ken on Aquarius... But....

Yes, I have OpenCPN running on my Mac and my PC on board Aquarius.
And we use it most of the time. I love OpenCPN. Most of the
experienced sailers out here are using it as well.

Ken

On 8/15/19, via Groups.Io <n.klene=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Ken
Do you use Open CPN on a Mac ?

Nick
Still without a boat 🚣‍♀️

Paul Osterberg

You mean the EchoPilot 2d professional? It has a realistic price also
Paul

Paul Brown

My model is the B&G ForwardScan with a Vulcan 7 inch screen

Regards Paul

On 15 Aug 2019, at 5:46 pm, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

You mean the EchoPilot 2d professional? It has a realistic price also
Paul

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Yes, this has worked for me and if the depth is 10 meters I can see
out about 30 to 40 meters in front of me, if the depth is 70 meters I
can see usually see out about 80 meters. This gives me enough time to
slow down if there is something in front, and EchoPilot has saved us a
few times!

One of the most valuable pieces of equipment on Aquarius!

Ken