Topics

File /CockpitEnclosure.pdf uploaded #file-notice

main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@...>

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io group.

By: Gerhard Mueller

Cockpit Enclosure for Sharki

Marco Baldan

Dear Gerhard,

Nice cockpit enclosure and excellent details for Sharki owners! I am contemplating purchasing a Sharki but I could not find much information around apart from the fact that she's a nice, sturdy, seaworthy sailboat. Could I bother you asking for your point of view on the boat: pros and cons, what to look at when surveying one? Easy to conduct single-handed? Do you know any professional surveyor that could survey a Sharki in Greece?

Thanks for any information you could provide me.
Marco Baldan (africanmarco@...)

Gerhard Mueller

Marco
Sorry I don't know a professional surveyor in Greece for Amel boats.
One importand pro of the Sharki: It is below 12 meters in length (11.95 m) and so you only pay the lower boat tax in Greece.
And yes, the Sharki is intended for single handing. Although my Sharki is 38 years old it is still in a very good condition, even with the still original engine.
I guess all Sharki might have a problem with the construction of the mizzen footing. A crack in the polyester construction may allow to enter water into the gap between the polyester of the cockpit and the wood of the front wall of the after cabin and so the wood get damaged. Easy to check when inspecting the wood of the front wall of the after cabin. The former owner of my Sharki has had repaired this already. However other issues are not known.
Let me know if you have any special questions.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

marklesparkle59

Hi Marco, I agree with everything Gerhard says about the Sharki, single handing, aft cabin bulkhead and being strong despite 37 years of use. The gel coat on the deck of Sea Hobo, Sharki 96 will need attention in the next few years.
Mark Porter
Sea Hobo, Sharki 96
Cargreen, UK.

Sent from my Samsung device

Gerhard Mueller

Hi Mark
Indeed after 38 years the deck likes to have a repaint.
I have had done it 2 years ago in Monastir, Tunisia for a low price but obviously good quality. The deck is still quite new after the 2 years.
However I have not repainted the black lines of the false teak deck but only in the cockpit. The Beugler tool is useful for this task.

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Ralf Schroeder

Hi,
my problem is not the false teak deck. On the other deckparts as on the after cabin and the salon deck has my gel coat some hair cracks.
I think, this is from the sun over the years.

@Gerhard: It is possible, that you send us the details/mass from enclosure?

Best
Ralf
SV Baghira, Sharki 42

Gerhard Mueller

Hi Ralf
Before repainting I have seen at the after cabin deck and salon deck some areas where the glass fiber could be seen. It was successfully repaired with a 2-component primer.
The sailmaker fabricating the enclosure has had no further instructions, details or demensioned drawings. I have made only some photos.
He has worked step by step: installing one piece, taking some measures, installing next piece and so on. Often there was a week between the steps and so it takes more than 2 months for the complete work.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Ralf Schroeder

Hi Gerhard,

many thanks for the information with the primer on the defekt areas. My first idea was a complete removal from the old painting to the glass fiber. But so, I think, it´s a good alternative.
With the sailmaker job - this is the different from a german to a greece sailmaker :-).

When it is possible, I'm in september in the kalamata for a charter week. So, when you are there, too, it´s possible, that I meet you?

Best wishes
Ralf
SV Baghira, Sharki 42

Gerhard Mueller

Ralf
You are welcome. I am at place A14 in the Marina Kalamata.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60