File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice


main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <noreply@...>
 

The following files and folders have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io group.

By: Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>

Description:
A detailed file on how to replace membranes from Dessalator


Jose Venegas
 

Nicely done Mark.  Thanks a lot

Jose Gabriel Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278
Currently in Club de Pesca
Cartagena Colombia


David Vogel
 

Thanks Mark - a nice update.

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification" <noreply@groups.io>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, 18 April 2022 at 3:10 pm
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

The following files and folders have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io group.
https://AmelYachtOwners.groups.io/g/main/files/Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf
By: Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>
Description:
A detailed file on how to replace membranes from Dessalator


Alan Leslie
 

Having just replaced the membranes in our Dessalator 60 Duo, I would say the advice to use pliers / pipe wrench to remove the end caps is rather brutal and unnecessary.
Some years ago it was posted by (Ian?) to use webbing and a large hoseclamp :

Take one jubilee clip (worm clamp) and a short length of webbing and trap the two ends of the webbing between the jubilee clip and the endcap to make a loop.  Sitting in the cockpit, .....  put the loop over one of the cleats on

the mizzen mast , hold the black tube with two hands and gently pull
 I did exactly that and it works a treat - easy, you don't even have to pull very hard if you twist it slightly, the end caps just pop out.

I did the whole job in about an hour, from removal to refitting.

AND I got some of those JIC seals mentioned in another post for the high pressure fittings, cleaned and reassembled the fittings with the seals, tightened as per Bill Rouse spec (1/4 turn), and magic, no leaks at all.

Easy!

Thanks to all who post on this forum...it's the additive detail that makes for good results!

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437...alive and well in Opua!

.


 

A photo of what Alan describes might help:
image.png


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   


On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 3:58 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Having just replaced the membranes in our Dessalator 60 Duo, I would say the advice to use pliers / pipe wrench to remove the end caps is rather brutal and unnecessary.
Some years ago it was posted by (Ian?) to use webbing and a large hoseclamp :

Take one jubilee clip (worm clamp) and a short length of webbing and trap the two ends of the webbing between the jubilee clip and the endcap to make a loop.  Sitting in the cockpit, .....  put the loop over one of the cleats on

the mizzen mast , hold the black tube with two hands and gently pull
 I did exactly that and it works a treat - easy, you don't even have to pull very hard if you twist it slightly, the end caps just pop out.

I did the whole job in about an hour, from removal to refitting.

AND I got some of those JIC seals mentioned in another post for the high pressure fittings, cleaned and reassembled the fittings with the seals, tightened as per Bill Rouse spec (1/4 turn), and magic, no leaks at all.

Easy!

Thanks to all who post on this forum...it's the additive detail that makes for good results!

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437...alive and well in Opua!


rossirossix4
 

This seems like a good place to post this.  I was impressed with one of  Riza's Emek Marine techs who did our membrane replacement while instructing us on the steps.  At one point he actually crawled in and around and behind the board that the battery chargers are mounted on to easily access the membrane frame from the rear.  Might be helpful to someone. Wish I'd snapped a pic. 

Bob and Suzanne     KAIMI SM 429


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

I agree completely with Alan on this. Very simple, very effective
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 20/04/2022 01:06 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


A photo of what Alan describes might help:
image.png



CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 3:58 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Having just replaced the membranes in our Dessalator 60 Duo, I would say the advice to use pliers / pipe wrench to remove the end caps is rather brutal and unnecessary.
Some years ago it was posted by (Ian?) to use webbing and a large hoseclamp :

Take one jubilee clip (worm clamp) and a short length of webbing and trap the two ends of the webbing between the jubilee clip and the endcap to make a loop.  Sitting in the cockpit, .....  put the loop over one of the cleats on

the mizzen mast , hold the black tube with two hands and gently pull
 I did exactly that and it works a treat - easy, you don't even have to pull very hard if you twist it slightly, the end caps just pop out.

I did the whole job in about an hour, from removal to refitting.

AND I got some of those JIC seals mentioned in another post for the high pressure fittings, cleaned and reassembled the fittings with the seals, tightened as per Bill Rouse spec (1/4 turn), and magic, no leaks at all.

Easy!

Thanks to all who post on this forum...it's the additive detail that makes for good results!

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437...alive and well in Opua!




Luis
 

Hi,

Thanks for such an interesting and complete information on how to replace the membranes.

I have to do that work soon but am wondering if from your experience it is better to buy them directly from Dessalator, or if we can get equivalent and more affordable ones somewhere else.

Thanks

Luis

SM 87

MAIBAR


 

Luis,

There is only one manufacturer of membranes in the world. No matter which reseller you buy Membranes from, they are manufactured by DOW Filmtec. They are normally packaged in a plastic bag with fluid inside the bag and normally do not have more than about 6-12 months of shelf time. So, you do not want to purchase them too much in advance of the job. There is at least one water maker manufacturer that orders a special length of membrane from Filmtec so that they can generate high profits by being the only source of that membrane. Dessalator does not do this and uses standard sizes which are either 25 or 40 inches long and 2.5 inches in diameter, thus the number for the 40 inches is SW30-2540. More information here: https://www.dupont.com/products/filmtecsw302540.html

I hope this helps you.

Bill


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   


On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 6:43 AM <2100lfc@...> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for such an interesting and complete information on how to replace the membranes.

I have to do that work soon but am wondering if from your experience it is better to buy them directly from Dessalator, or if we can get equivalent and more affordable ones somewhere else.

Thanks

Luis

SM 87

MAIBAR


Luis
 

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for your information.

Regards

Luis

MAIBAR

SM #87


Bill Kinney
 

There is an even easier way to get the end caps off the pressure vessels.  With a lot less risk of damage to the parts, and a lot less frustration.

  1. Attach a water hose to either one of the high pressure fittings.  Any piece of hose and a hose clamp will work.  It doesn’t have to be 100% leak free.
  2. Run water into the housing to fill it until water comes out the other side. Try to get as much air out as you can.
  3. Put your finger over the other high pressure port and block the exit of the water..
  4. The building pressure will slide off the end cap in a few seconds.  
  5. You can tap on the end of the membrane to push the other end piece out if needed.
We have done this with just onboard water pressure (~1.5 bar). Works every time.

Do NOT even think of doing this with pressurized air.  Instead of just sliding out, the end caps would come flying out at high speed.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Culebra, Puerto Rico


Eric Freedman
 

If you are changing the membranes on you 160 watermaker you will find that lining up the outboard bolts on the support bracket requires a person a lot thinner than me. To make life easier in the future I cut the rear mounting bracket at the mounting bolt area into a “V” leaving the majority of the  bolt hole as original. That allows me to loosen up the rear bracket without removing the nut. I then just slide the whole assembly back in place when I reassemble.

 

Fair Winds

‘Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of rossirossix4
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2022 11:28 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

 

This seems like a good place to post this.  I was impressed with one of  Riza's Emek Marine techs who did our membrane replacement while instructing us on the steps.  At one point he actually crawled in and around and behind the board that the battery chargers are mounted on to easily access the membrane frame from the rear.  Might be helpful to someone. Wish I'd snapped a pic. 

Bob and Suzanne     KAIMI SM 429


Porter McRoberts
 

This is genius. Same issue!!  Very Appreciated!!

Porter
A54-152 IBIS

On Apr 28, 2022, at 10:15 AM, Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

If you are changing the membranes on you 160 watermaker you will find that lining up the outboard bolts on the support bracket requires a person a lot thinner than me. To make life easier in the future I cut the rear mounting bracket at the mounting bolt area into a “V” leaving the majority of the  bolt hole as original. That allows me to loosen up the rear bracket without removing the nut. I then just slide the whole assembly back in place when I reassemble.
 
Fair Winds
‘Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376
 
 
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of rossirossix4
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2022 11:28 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice
 
This seems like a good place to post this.  I was impressed with one of  Riza's Emek Marine techs who did our membrane replacement while instructing us on the steps.  At one point he actually crawled in and around and behind the board that the battery chargers are mounted on to easily access the membrane frame from the rear.  Might be helpful to someone. Wish I'd snapped a pic. 

Bob and Suzanne     KAIMI SM 429