Fixed Prop installation.

WASABI - Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Amelias

Does anyone experienced the performance of the Original Fixed Prop delivered by AMEL, compared to the Pruntons Autoprop?

@ Mohammad, et all

I have seen you installed the fix prop last year. How was the installation? Exactly as Bill believed?

How do you removed afterwards without puller? Was it easy to take it off?

Best regards and thanks

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Wintering in Almerimar

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Datum: Montag, 19. Juli 2021 um 18:32
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Identify this part

Hi Bill;

Just completed this install under water. Confirm that your depiction is the correct way of installing the fixed prop. Attached please find some pictures of our final installation. Sorry for the blank screens in the screen shots. I have 4 monitors, so that’s how it comes out. But it is easy to zoom in and get a clear picture.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

I would appreciate it if someone who has installed the fixed prop will verify the image below and the correct way to lock the prop in place:

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Richard May via groups.io <airwisrich2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Super Maramu.

Bill Kinney

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 12:56 AM, Rudolf Waldispuehl wrote:

Does anyone experienced the performance of the Original Fixed Prop delivered by AMEL, compared to the Pruntons Autoprop?

@ Mohammad, et all

I have seen you installed the fix prop last year. How was the installation? Exactly as Bill believed?

How do you removed afterwards without puller? Was it easy to take it off?

Ruedi,

The Performance differences between an Autoprop and a fixed prop are complicated.  While motoring at cruising speed and on up to full throttle, the differences will be trivial, becasue this is the power range the fixed prop is optimized for.  At lower boat speeds, the Autoprop will be somewhat more fuel efficient by allowing the engine to fully power up at lower RPM.  In other words you will reach the same boat speed at lower RPM. This might matter to people who motor sail a lot.

The Autoprop is "fussier." It will show significantly reduced performance when fouled compared to the same level of fouling on a fixed prop.  (Although ANY fouled prop is a real fuel suck!)

Any feathering type prop will be MUCH better than a fixed prop at low sailing speeds. This will matter to some people more than others.  If you are the kind of person who starts an engine whenever boat speed drops below 4 knots the fixed prop has no real penalty here, but if you refer to sail along at 2 knots instead of listening to the engine, the lower drag of Autoprop (or any other feathering prop) matters--a lot.

I find the behavior of the Autoprop in close quarters maneuvering to be less predictable that a fixed prop or a MaxProp, with more of a lag between throttling up and getting the boat moving, and less of a linear relationship between throttle and thrust.  But, to be fair, this might just be a result of me having far fewer hours on an Autoprop equipped boat.

You can not expect to remove a fixed prop without a proper puller. If it is so loose it just comes off by hand, it was definitely not as tight as it should have been.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL

WASABI - Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Bill

Thank you very much for your answer. The pictures are very useful!

In this case I need a lot of grease and some wood pieces to remove it with careful pushes from the front side.

Best regards

Ruedi

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

I would appreciate it if someone who has installed the fixed prop will verify the image below and the correct way to lock the prop in place:

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Richard May via groups.io <airwisrich2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Super Maramu.

Porter McRoberts

Reudi.

You Can use the autoprop puller to remove the fixed prop.
Use the bolt holes, align with the base of the fixed prop blades and then “sew” the puller to the base of the blades using 5-7mm dynema.

Clearly less than ideal, but it works.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Freitag, 14. Januar 2022 um 14:43
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Partial answer:

The shaft is tapered with a key. The fixed propeller is also tapered. A tapered-shaft propeller will almost always need a prop-puller to remove. The AutoProp puller is not made for the fixed propeller.

In terms of performance, someone else will need to answer, but I am sure there is a difference and I am sure how much of a difference is a matter of opinion. Check here for more information: https://www.bruntonspropellers.com/autoprop

<image001.png>

<image002.png>

<image003.png>

<image004.png>

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 2:56 AM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

Hi Amelias

Does anyone experienced the performance of the Original Fixed Prop delivered by AMEL, compared to the Pruntons Autoprop?

@ Mohammad, et all

I have seen you installed the fix prop last year. How was the installation? Exactly as Bill believed?

How do you removed afterwards without puller? Was it easy to take it off?

Best regards and thanks

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Wintering in Almerimar

I would appreciate it if someone who has installed the fixed prop will verify the image below and the correct way to lock the prop in place:

<image005.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Richard May via groups.io <airwisrich2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Super Maramu.

Learn something new everyday. 😃😃

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022, 13:49 Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Porter

Thanks a lot for the useful hint.

Cheers

Ruedi

I would appreciate it if someone who has installed the fixed prop will verify the image below and the correct way to lock the prop in place:

<image005.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Richard May via groups.io <airwisrich2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Super Maramu.

Porter McRoberts

Glad I could help Reudi.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Jan 18, 2022, at 12:29 AM, Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

Porter

Thanks a lot for the useful hint.

Cheers

Ruedi

I would appreciate it if someone who has installed the fixed prop will verify the image below and the correct way to lock the prop in place:

<image005.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Richard May via groups.io <airwisrich2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Super Maramu.

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Reudi;

Sorry for the late response.

The underwater installation was fairly straight forward with a bit of planning. The step on the keel acts as a great work bench to store the required tools. The main consideration is obviously, how not to lose any parts in the process. If possible, it is best to be tied to a dock somewhere, so if you happen to drop an important part, there is a fair chance of recovery. We were lucky that the first anchorage that we selected on the first day of the season, happened to be right outside an ACI marina in Croatia. So we gently motored to the dock which was less than a 1000 yards away. It also helped that my wife Aty, who is excellent at keeping contact with almost everyone we meet along the way, happened to have the information of a boat that winters in the same marina. A British couple that hooked us up with a diver that happened to be an ex Croatian Special forces with heavy underwater diving and repair experience. Having an additional set of hands underwater, definitely helps.

We took the fixed prop, that was never used,  to a another marina with a yard and had them apply speed prop anti-fouling. We then applied some grease to the shaft and the fixed prop slid on without issues. With the help of a rubber mallet and a piece of wood, we hammered the fixed prop as far as it would go and inspected the distance to the line cutter to be sure it had seated properly. A large spanner was used to tighten the nut and then it was further extended with a 3 foot PVC pipe so that we could be sure we had sufficient torque applied underwater. The key on the washer that we had with the prop was a bit different than the picture Bill R had attached. The washer itself had to be bent back at the flat part of the nut, rather being inserted.

It took us about 30 minutes to take the prop off and about 1 hour to put back on. We have not taken the fixed prop yet, so I cannot comment on the removal yet. We will remove this coming season when we haul out. Porter’s solution sounds like a good one. I do have some underwater video, if interested.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

I would appreciate it if someone who has installed the fixed prop will verify the image below and the correct way to lock the prop in place:

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Richard May via groups.io <airwisrich2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Super Maramu.

Bill Kinney

A couple of comments on installing a fixed prop (or any prop, actually!).  Be SURE that the prop sits tight on the shaft, and that the key does not hold it off. The best way to do this is to install the prop on the shaft WITHOUT the key, mark how far on the shaft it sits.  Pull it off, and the reinstall with the key in place and make sure that it goes just as far on. It is not unusual that new keys are too high, and the prop bottoms out on them before it is fully engaged with the shaft. If this is the case, file down the key until the prop sits as it should.

A propeller should be driven almost entirely by friction with the shaft, not so much by the key.  Having a good tight fit on the tapered part of the shaft is essential. If the prop is at all loose the key will be damaged, and the prop is at risk of coming off.  Especially when a tabbed over washer is used as the nut lock as is typical on these metric shafts.

There has been a long standing argument between people who know more than I do about greasing the shaft (or not) when installing the prop.  I doubt it really matters much one way or the other, but I do not use grease.

Finally, never, never, never use a hammer in place of a proper puller to remove a prop. If a yard worker does this, fire him on the spot. This is bad enough on a standard shaft drive, but could be deadly on the C-Drive.  The gears, bearings and housing are not made for this kind of shock loading. If a prop is really stuck and the puller is not getting it loose, get a bigger puller.  Failing that, heat the prop (hot!) with a torch, and then tap gently to loosen it while continuing to pull straight back as hard as your tools will allow.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA

Ian Park

Agree…
I used a 3 arm puller on my Santorin fixed prop and it wouldn’t budge. Three minutes with a blow torch and ‘Ping’…. Off it came. No grease, in fact I used a ‘Never Seize’ on it, which made sure the it went back on easily when I tightened the nut.

Ian
Ocean Hobo 96