Topics

Flushing the water maker with fresh water

Joerg Esdorn

My boat is sheltering in place on the hard and the water maker has been pickled since November 2019.  Dessalator instructions say that the maximum period of pickling is 6 months.  After that, they say, you need to flush with fresh water once a month.  Since I'm away from the boat, I've asked the boat yard to do the flush and it appears that only a little water is flushing through - a trickle rather than a stream.  Much less than if the water maker is operating.  I'm satisfied the yard did everything correctly in accordance with the instructions.  So I wonder whether this is normal or whether there could be a blockage of some kind?  Do I have to keep flushing until I see a solid stream coming out?  I figure it makes sense that there will be a lot less flow than if the water maker's high pressure pump is working, but how much?  How many liters does the system contain - I don't think there's been more than 5 liters flushed through.  Any help would be much appreciated.   Cheers Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
On the hard in Vigo, Spain

Gary Silver

Edited

Hi Joerg:

The video you posted appears to be about right of flush water.  My flush system (the automatic timer one I built over a decade ago for my Dessalator 160 l/hr factory system, so as to never have to pickle my water maker again) uses the original Amel Amfa fresh water pump to do the flush and operates automatically every third day.  The timer runs the pump for 2 minutes, during which it consumes about 3 liters of water.

Remember that you are pushing water thru (in my case) three water filters (a carbon block filter, and the two in series Amel supplied pre-filters) before it reaches the membranes so you won't see a steady stream of water coming out.
I hope this helps.

Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel Super Maramu 2000
Hull # 335
Puerto Del Rey - Puerto Rico

Joerg Esdorn

Thanks very much, Gary!

Joerg,

I am sure you know this. The pressure knob on the control panel should be 100% anti-clockwise when flushing.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 6:37 PM Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes, but many thanks.  Good thing to check.  Cheers. Joerg