For those that missed the first procurement of Rub Rails

Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...>

For those Amel Owners who would like to procure new Rub Rails within the next 6 months:

Add your name to the list.  If we can get about 15 boats, we will move forward with the purchase.

1.  Aquarius, Ken Powers

Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262
Currently in Thailand

Patrick McAneny

Ken, you would not need that many to make it financially attractive, I paid for the die to be made up front, and then each owner that joined into the purchase  reimbursed me their share of the expense of the die, about $600-$700. We had about eleven in the initial purchase and it was a good value , it would even be a better value for the next group as they would not be paying the cost of having the die made. That is why I was encouraging owners to join ,as each additional buyer brought down the price for everyone.
Good Luck ,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 27, 2021 10:07 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] For those that missed the first procurement of Rub Rails

For those Amel Owners who would like to procure new Rub Rails within the next 6 months:

Add your name to the list.  If we can get about 15 boats, we will move forward with the purchase.

1.  Aquarius, Ken Powers

Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262
Currently in Thailand

Thanks Pat,

But, it's only fair if we should share in the cost of the die as well somehow!  Let's see how many owners that are looking to upgrade their rub rails!

Can you tell me the weight of a set of rub rails for a SM?

Thanks,

Ken Powers
Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262

michael winand

Hi Ken, we would be happy to buy a set,  made enquiries last time. Shipping costs to Australia were not viable. 
So we are a maybe,  once we know what it takes to get them to Australia. 
Ours are still in good shape. But we will be doing a topside rejuvenation in the next few years, so they would be great to have ready. 
Michael  Nebo sm251 

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 1:46 pm, Ken Powers SV Aquarius
<ken@...> wrote:
Thanks Pat,

But, it's only fair if we should share in the cost of the die as well somehow!  Let's see how many owners that are looking to upgrade their rub rails!

Thanks,

Ken Powers
Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262

James Watkins

I know this is a SM thread but I have ordered a new rub rail for my Maramu and I too have have had good experience with Technorubber.  I will have the die drawings in the next couple of weeks and I will post on site.  The die is $600 and rubrail $1,400.  I did a very unAmel thing and truly improved the sturdiness of the rubber protection.  I will post if anyone is interested.  Some contribution to the die would be great but I am doing the new rail regardless.

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu Hull 186

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Powers SV Aquarius
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2021 5:47 AM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] For those that missed the first procurement of Rub Rails

Thanks Pat,

Thanks,

Ken Powers
Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262

Patrick McAneny

Ken, You know just this morning ,thinking about the potential for another group buy  ,I  wished that I had measured the shipping box and weight . I would guess the boxes were 3'x3' ,(each insert come in a separate box) ,I would estimate the weight to be about 35 lbs. each. There may be another owner who has yet to install their inserts and can provide the exact size and weight, if not the manufacturer may have that info. They are very nice people to deal with and will do anything to help and answer questions. 
As to the die, I would have to check to see what I paid for it ,about $600 or so, which cost each of us approx. about $54 or so. I am not personally concerned about further reimbursement for the die. Maybe a contribution to the Amel site ,if it is needed?
I would be happy to obtain any further info from the manufacturer if needed.
Good Luck ,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Fri, May 28, 2021 11:46 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] For those that missed the first procurement of Rub Rails

Thanks Pat,

Thanks,

Ken Powers
Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262

Patrick McAneny

Jim, Is the rub rail on the Maramu different from the SM ,if not you could use the die already made for SM. 
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Sat, May 29, 2021 3:24 am

I know this is a SM thread but I have ordered a new rub rail for my Maramu and I too have have had good experience with Technorubber.  I will have the die drawings in the next couple of weeks and I will post on site.  The die is $600 and rubrail $1,400.  I did a very unAmel thing and truly improved the sturdiness of the rubber protection.  I will post if anyone is interested.  Some contribution to the die would be great but I am doing the new rail regardless.

Best Regards
Jim Watkins
Act II Maramu Hull 186

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Thanks Pat,

Thanks,

Ken Powers
Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262

James Watkins

It is quite different I am pretty sure it is different.  Do you have a die line drawing?   Thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2021 2:53 PM

Jim, Is the rub rail on the Maramu different from the SM ,if not you could use the die already made for SM. 

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu Hull 186

Thanks Pat,

Thanks,

Ken Powers
Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262

Patrick McAneny

I do not have a line drawing from the manufacturer. 
This is a drawing that I received from Maud. 
The insert that was made is identical to this drawing. 

Pat
SM Shenanigans

On May 29, 2021, at 11:15 AM, James Watkins via groups.io <ewatk49734@...> wrote:

It is quite different I am pretty sure it is different.  Do you have a die line drawing?   Thanks

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu Hull 186

Thanks Pat,

Thanks,

Ken Powers
Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262

<BB6FE6684DE4412CA1FFAD7EAF4A7F34.png>

James Watkins

Thanks the Maramu rail is quite different. 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2021 6:17 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

I do not have a line drawing from the manufacturer. 

This is a drawing that I received from Maud. 

The insert that was made is identical to this drawing. 

Pat

SM Shenanigans

On May 29, 2021, at 11:15 AM, James Watkins via groups.io <ewatk49734@...> wrote:

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu Hull 186

Thanks Pat,

Thanks,

Ken Powers
Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262

<BB6FE6684DE4412CA1FFAD7EAF4A7F34.png>

svcharisma

I'm curious if this is the same profile as my Mango built in 86.  Do you have photos or a section of the rub rail?  What year was your Maramu built?

Alan
Mango #62

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android Device

Thanks Pat,

Let's wait to see how many people are interested in purchasing new Rub Rails.  I just had my solid Rub Rails painted with Gel Coat, and the outside hull from the waterline to the rub rails was also sprayed with new Gel Coat.   The work also included painting stripe just over the waterline with Red Gel Coat.  When Aquarius splashes in December she will be like new from the rub rails to the bottom of the keel.  The new white Rub Rails are a must.  :)

Each person should chip in the $54, and we can donate these funds to the Amel site.   Let's see if anyone else is interested.

Add your name to the list.  If we can get about 10 boats, we will move forward with the purchase.

For those interested please add the following information:
  Boat Name.   First and Last Name,   Where Rub Rails will ship.
1.  Aquarius SM2K#262, Ken Powers,  USA Nevada, but need to know weight because I will take them on a flight to Thailand.
2.  Solitude SM2K#461,  Mike & PETA,  EU

Sailing Aquarius
SM2K#262
Currently in Thailand

James Watkins

My Maramu is a 1985.  I expect to receive the die design within the next week or so and I will post it and you can check it then.

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Maramu hull 185

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of svcharisma via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2021 10:29 PM

I'm curious if this is the same profile as my Mango built in 86.  Do you have photos or a section of the rub rail?  What year was your Maramu built?

Alan

Mango #62

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android Device

Patrick McAneny

Ken, I have just had my hull ,painted with Awlcraft slightly off white and the rub rail and boot stripe in forrest green,the new white inserts look great against the contrast of the dark green. I also had my bottom sand blasted ,sealed the keel and hull with barrier coat and this week I will paint the hull ,then finally back in the water after being on the hard for 14 months. The old girl has never looked better. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Sun, May 30, 2021 3:31 am

Thanks Pat,

Let's wait to see how many people are interested in purchasing new Rub Rails.  I just had my solid Rub Rails painted with Gel Coat, and the outside hull from the waterline to the rub rails was also sprayed with new Gel Coat.   The work also included painting stripe just over the waterline with Red Gel Coat.  When Aquarius splashes in December she will be like new from the rub rails to the bottom of the keel.  The new white Rub Rails are a must.  :)

Each person should chip in the $54, and we can donate these funds to the Amel site.   Let's see if anyone else is interested.

Mark Barter

Hi Ken,

Our Super Maramu is from 1993 but I assume the rub rails didn't change when the 2k was brought out.

We would be interested.

1.  Aquarius SM2K#262, Ken Powers,  USA Nevada, but need to know weight because I will take them on a flight to Thailand.
3. Nunky Super Maramu #110, Mark Barter, UK

Thanks for your work on this project. It is much appreciated.

--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky
SM 110

Patrick McAneny

Mark, My boat is only 13 boats newer than yours and the insert would be the same. However the reason I originally opted to have the inserts made here in the US. was due to the cost of shipping from France to the US. , Amel is closer to you in the UK. and the shipping may be less than from here ,but then again ,I think the cost of production or retail price was lower here. Anyone closer to  Amel in France may want to consider which source would be cheaper when price,shipping and taxes are taken into account. It is always good to support Amel after service when feasible.
Good Luck,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Sun, May 30, 2021 4:46 am

Hi Ken,

Our Super Maramu is from 1993 but I assume the rub rails didn't change when the 2k was brought out.

We would be interested.

Thanks for your work on this project. It is much appreciated.

--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky
SM 110

Need a few more interested Amels!

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Ken,

Count Michelle and I in on the run rails (Talia SM208).

Matt Day

Sent from mobile 

On Jun 3, 2021, at 3:51 PM, Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

Marty Crighton

Please add me to the list for a set.
Respectfully,
Marty

Martyn Crighton
SV NADA, SM 327

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021, 16:07 Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia <charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:
Ken,

Count Michelle and I in on the run rails (Talia SM208).

Matt Day

Sent from mobile 

On Jun 3, 2021, at 3:51 PM, Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

1.  Aquarius SM2K#262, Ken Powers,  USA Nevada, but need to know weight because I will take them on a flight to Thailand.

--
Marty and Angela Crighton
Future Amel Owners
Pyeongtaek, South Korea