Topics

Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Furuno NavNet Plotter Network

Alan Leslie

We had the Interphase unit on Elyse when we bought her in 2013. About a year later the transducer failed. I obtained a replacement from Garmin in the US who had just bought Interphase. That transducer failed also, so I took it all out and got a 7" B&G plotter to go where the Interphase head unit was on the port side of the helm, and installed a ForwardScan transducer for it.
The ForwardScan system works OK in smooth water and at low speed, but if there's any slight pitching of the bow, it can't handle it and the picture goes crazy.
The more expensive forward sonars (eg Furuno) have sensors in them to compensate for boat movement and keep the picture steady.  Not sure if Garmin has that.
As to hooking something up to a Furuno Navnet radar plotter, I doubt you'd find anything to do that.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

BTW I have 2 working Interphase head units on Elyse, if anybody wants them, you can have them for the cost of the postage, whenever I can get back to the boat.

Gerhard Mueller

Ian
I have had the same issue: EchoPilot 20 years old and display dead. Gracefully I was in Greece and able to send only the display unit to a repair company in Athen, Greece.
Within one week I got it back repaired and now I'm happy to use it again. Cost was about 100 Euro.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

My pennyworth . We have had an Echopilot since new , 20 years ago . We very rarely use it .
However , in Chile we met a local guy with a wooden yacht who surveyed the canales in the south on behalf of fish farm companies . Much of his time was spent in uncharted waters . His experience was to set the forward range at no more than 50 m . He claimed it was the most essential tool he had .
We did use it in Chile when entering uncharted caletas at very slow speeds and on a handful of occasions it served us well .
I suspect that you need to practice a lot with it to get the best use of it.
Elsewhere its greater comfort is in having a backup depth sounder in case the B&G packed up .

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 , Kithnos , Greece

On 29 Sep 2020, at 19:29, James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2@...> wrote:

Ken,

     I was originally thinking of something that would interface with my B&G display but I think that you make a really good point about having a stand alone system in this case.  It helps a lot to hear from someone like yourself that has a lot of recent experience with a product, so thank you for sharing.  Easy and simple have a lot of value in my book as well so I will take a good hard look at the Echo Pilot option.

Fair winds to you both,

James and Joann Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220