Fridge circulating pump

Nick Newington

I bought a micro 12v brushless circulating pump for £12 that has just arrived at home in the U.K.

Back on Amelia, I decided to convert the fridges to freshwater for the period out of the water in the boat yard. In so doing I changed the circulating pump, as the old was getting a bit noisy and hot. Frigomatic self priming pump costs £183….ouch. I am down to my last spare on the boat. So I bought this little
Micro pump for £12. They are used for a number of things but fish tanks is one. As well as solar water collectors. They are supposed to run for tens of thousands of hours. The mount is plastic and the parts in contact with water are also plastic. When I get back to the boat I will install it and report back. It could be a very inexpensive alternative, or maybe not. We shall see.
As for going freshwater, it works perfectly. I am still thinking about the risks to health but in my opinion the cupronickel is insoluble like copper and we all use copper in our domestic plumbing. That risk is close to zero. Actually I believe that the fibreglass tank itself is more likely to shed toxic chemicals. There is a risk of contaminating the freshwater tank in the event of a leak in the condensing unit…I think that the refrigerant itself would just vent out immediately but there would be some lubricating oil…
So yes that is a worry. No free lunch.

Nick (U.K.)
S/V Amelia
AML54-019
Leros

Ruslan Osmonov

Nick, word of caution, since I installed similar pump from usaolarpumps recently. It is not a self priming pump and another thing is airlocks.  You need to position it in a way that if air bubble to be developed they have natural escape route. This is the one I installed as a backup to my already great brushless pump done by Jamie.

For the fresh water cooling since the tank is below the pump it might be an issue. I would experiment with the bucket and place pump to approximate hight plus some since we know it won’t be straight line up. Also you need to think of a way to prime the pump easily, if the water goes down and creates a long air gap for various reasons.

Fair winds
Ruslan Osmonov
Phanthom, A54 #44

Nick Newington

Hi Ruslan,

Thanks,  I know it is not self priming, but had not thought about losing the prime.  If I go the sea water route it should be no problem, being under the waterline. I am still undecided on that.

With my current temporary set up I decided to T into the freshwater supply to the Freshwater pressure pump as the “flow"and put a one way valve to stop the Freshwater pump sucking water out of the fridge circuit. The fresh cooling water is returned to the tank via the emergency hand pump (yellow and black)supply pipe below the galley sink.

In terms of priming, I could leave the diaphragm pump in situ with a switch and place the little brushless pump up stream of it. Then all I have to do is run both pumps for a few seconds to prime it all.

Once primed turn off the switch to the diaphragm pump. This does not address any loss of prime due to air bubbles forming…I am going to experiment. We shall see what works and what does not.

Nick

Amelia
AML54-019
Leros

On 22 Jul 2022, at 13:42, Ruslan Osmonov <rosmonov@...> wrote:

Nick, word of caution, since I installed similar pump from usaolarpumps recently. It is not a self priming pump and another thing is airlocks.  You need to position it in a way that if air bubble to be developed they have natural escape route. This is the one I installed as a backup to my already great brushless pump done by Jamie.

For the fresh water cooling since the tank is below the pump it might be an issue. I would experiment with the bucket and place pump to approximate hight plus some since we know it won’t be straight line up. Also you need to think of a way to prime the pump easily, if the water goes down and creates a long air gap for various reasons.

Fair winds
Ruslan Osmonov
Phanthom, A54 #44

I am not saying this is an alternative to the Frigoboat/FlowJet pump, but it looks good enough to me to try if I wanted an alternative:

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550