From 230V to 120V #alignment

Bertrand Quénot

Hi all,
On our way for a circumnavigation started in Europe we are now crossing a 120V zone.
In Panama there were still solutions in the marinas to get energy from the dock.
Currently in Quepos Costa Rica there is none.
I am interested to know from this Amel community how other amelians did manage connections to the dock energy in these 120V countries.
Bertrand on SV ANTINEA A54 #43

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Bertrand,

An isolation step up transformer is probably what you want. Wire it with a new shore plug for connecting to 120V only and leave your normal 240V plug in place. There are lots of other ways to go about this, but depends a lot on your existing set up and/or future electrical plans (and how much $$$ you want to spend). These transformers do not change frequency (50/60Hz), which can affect some appliances. This would likely be your quickest and cheapest solution to get 240V.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022, 8:37 AM Bertrand Quénot <bertrand@...> wrote:

Hi all,
On our way for a circumnavigation started in Europe we are now crossing a 120V zone.
In Panama there were still solutions in the marinas to get energy from the dock.
Currently in Quepos Costa Rica there is none.
I am interested to know from this Amel community how other amelians did manage connections to the dock energy in these 120V countries.
Bertrand on SV ANTINEA A54 #43

JB Duler

Bertrand, keep in mind that a simple transformer will not deal with frequency. In france you have 50Hz, and it is 60Hz in the US and other parts of the world. So electronics won't work (washing machine, microwave,etc...). A simple coffee machine will work.
You may just be better off using your inverter providing 220v/50Hz and charging batteries with the generator/solar.
Check your charger, if it is a new one it may be able to accept 110v (but you may have to run a different cable).
good luck
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Bill Kinney

Our Super Maramu was unusual because it was equipped from the factory with a 120 to 220 transformer, and dual shore power cords, one for for each voltage.  We have since modernized that system using a Victron 3600kVA isolation transformer that can take either 120 or 220 as input and output 220.  Now we have a single shore power cord, and just change the plug at the end to match the local supply. We can use 120V/30A or 120V/50A or 220V/16A or 220V/32A just by changing plugs or using adapters

Of course, when plugged into 120V systems the transformer still outputs 60Hz power, so you have to be careful what you use it with.

I am a bit surprised that you haven’t been able to find the 125/250V 50Amp connections in Quepos. Those are pretty standard in the 120V marina world for larger boats.

Eric Freedman

Bertrand,

Does the marina have a 50 amp 220 volt plug?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Bertrand, keep in mind that a simple transformer will not deal with frequency. In france you have 50Hz, and it is 60Hz in the US and other parts of the world. So electronics won't work (washing machine, microwave,etc...). A simple coffee machine will work.
You may just be better off using your inverter providing 220v/50Hz and charging batteries with the generator/solar.
Check your charger, if it is a new one it may be able to accept 110v (but you may have to run a different cable).
good luck
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Scott SV Tengah

Our boat is 230v but we spent some time in 120v land. We do not have an isolation transformer.

We don't spend a lot of time in marinas, but we found that most of them in 120v land had a pedestal with 240v/60hz. As others mentioned, the issue, even with an isolation transformer, will be the 60hz, which makes our dishwasher, microwave and clothes washing machine not work correctly. The AC pump also runs noticeably faster but I don't think they get damaged.

Our 120amp and 80 amp chargers can take 240v/60hz and output the proper DC battery charging voltage, so we just charged up our batteries and then unplugged from shore power and ran everything off our inverter.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Bertrand Quénot

Thanks for your replies,

I agree most of marinas in the 120 V zone are able to provide 240 V 60Hz. This is what we got so far during our tour.
However here in Quepos marina when asking for it here is the answer I have got:
I cannot find a safe way to make 230volts, without turning your neutral side live. Although it might have been done on your boat before. I do not recommend it being done.
Not sure I am comfortable with the “turning your neutral side live” though. Could anyone help clarifying that sentence ?

Scott I understand A54 are originally set with 100 and 30amp chargers.
Does your message mean that you have replaced the original ones with 120 and 80 amp ?
And do the 100 and 30 also output the proper battery charging voltage ?
In that case I agree that the easiest way in most of the configurations would be to charge the batteries and then run appliances with the inverter.
You said “run everything “ off your inverter.
Does that include microwave, washing machine,…. ?
If so what inverter are you using ?

Bertrand
SV ANTINEA A54 #43
Still running his generator in Quepos marina Costa Rica

Eric Freedman

Hi Bertrand,

Many Amel’s use the 50 amp plug, mine included for over 19 years.

You need a 50 amp twist lock plug.

You do not use the neutral wire connection.  In the USA it is white in the plug. You use only (USA) the red and the Black those are connected to the brown and blue wires on your cord. The green ground in your cord is connected to the green ground screw in the plug. These are  USA colors. I do not know the colors used in the plugs available in your area.

On Kimberlite we cannot use the microwave, dish washer, clothes washer, or watermaker on 60 cycles.

Everything else including the battery charger and air conditioners work on either 50 or 60 cycles.

If you want to get fancy. In addition to buying the 50 amp plug buy a 30 amp female European plug and some wire.

You can then make a jumper to just plug your boats plug into that and the other end of the jumper into the 50 Amp outlet.

Be aware for safety sake a 30-amp circuit breaker should be added in line with this setup.

However, that gets complicated.

[...]

Jose Venegas

Bertrand,

In most of the american continent, mono(single) phase AC current runs at 110 V 60 Hz with one cable life and the second neutral relative to ground. Thera are 30 amps and 60 amp outlets. However most marinas the 60 Amp outlets have three phase AC current involving 3 phases (live cables) and one neutral. The voltage between any phase and the neutral cable is 110V and between any two phases is 220 V. The voltage between the neutral and ground is 0. In Europe three phase AC current has 220V between any phase and neutral and 440V between any two phases. So, in most american marinas they can connect your two cables (live and neutral) to two phases of the AC three-phasic cables that are both “live” relative to ground.
My SM2000 was originally made for an american customer and included a 110 to 220 transformer. When you convert 110 to 220 with a transformer, the current you draw from the 110 outlet is twice that used at 220 by your boat. So if you run more than one air conditioner and the microwave oven or a battery charger using more than 15 amp at 220 you end up tripping the shore power outlet of 30 amp. For that reason I have always connected to the 3-phase outlets in american marinas that allow my boat to draw up to 30 amps at 220 without tripping the shore power.
NEVER had an problem and all marinas, including those in Panama, were willing to do it and I have never had a problem with it.

Hope this help

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2k currently in RedFrog Marina, Panama

Eric Freedman

Jose,
Most USA marinas and some Caribbean have 30 and 50 amp not 60 outlets. They are not 3 phase.
The 50 amp have 4 wires on the plug, green-Ground, black and red hot, and white neutral,
Between the black and white you get 110 volts single phase the same for the red and white.
Between the black and red you get 220 volts single phase.
For the purposes of an Amel you do not connect the white(neutral wire)

Many of the 400 volt plugs are 3 phase.

The plugs I have encountered in Europe like LA Rochelle have 2 prongs and a ground prong. 220 volts between brown and the blue.
[...]

Eric,
I have a second hand twist lock plug available. It comes from à US boat and has a shirt cord sealed. Don’t know for sure it is a 50A and wire sections are far bigger than on mine.
All the colours you mentioned are here.
My cord ends with a 16A male plug. I have a 16A female plug available. I also have available 32A male and female plugs.
What I don’t get is the reason why I would need a circuit breaker on the line if I create a jumper as there is a circuit breaker on board at the end of the shore cord.
Bertrand

Scott SV Tengah

Bertrand,

Yes, I replaced my Dolphin chargers with a Victron Quattro 120amp/5kw inverter and a Victron Skylla 80 amp second charger.

I am not sure if the Dolphin can take 60hz - you can google the specs or look at the manual to find that, I am sure.

We have lithium, so we run everything on the inverter. Microwave, washing machine, AC, water heater, induction, boiler, scuba compressor, etc.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Eric Freedman

Hi Bertrand.
Just take your 16 amp female plug and add a piece of what we would call 12 gauge twisted wire to the plug, Basically get a wire cable that has wires equal to or bigger that what you currently have. You can usually get a black rubber coated 3 wire cable at an electrical supply or a good hardware store. Make sure it is stranded wire, it does not have to be marine tinned wire. You only need 3 feet. If the colors are not blue and brown in the piece of wire don’t worry you just need 3 colors one being green. Open your male plug and just match the colors in the male plug to the female plug if they are blue and brown, if they don't match don’t worry. Just make sure that you hook the new cable with the green wire to the same place on the female plug. I am not on the boat for a week but if I remember the green wire goes to the largest hole in the female plug and is connected to the biggest pin on the male plug of your boat.

The 50 amp plug is made for a much heavier gauge wire so it can carry 50 amps. Usually 6 or 8 gauge. That is why the holes are so large. Now that you have the female end open and connected , connect the other end of the wire to the 50 amp twist lock.
Don’t forget to put the cap on the wire before doing the wiring. The 50 amp plug usually has 4 screws . each color coded. To open the connector on some there are a few screws near the plug prongs themselves.
Connect the green to the green, and then one wire to the black, and the other wire to the red. There is no connection to the white connector. Your cable should only have 3 wires in it. If you can only find a 4 wire cable just cut the white one off at both ends.
Male sure the connections are tight. Leave a little slack in the wires under the cap so the cable and its rubber coating will be inside the cap. Put a very big cable tie on the cable to act as a strain relief. Once you have the connector assembled you will find that there is a big hole in the cap intended for a much bigger wire.
Just fill the hole generously with silicone sealant , don’t be shy with that.

Now to the circuit breaker issue. You have a 50 amp power supply with a 50 amp circuit breaker going through a thinner wire to a much smaller circuit breaker in the boat. There is a possibility that if there is a short in the cable
The 50 amp breaker will not trip and there could be a fire in the cable.

I think on some models Amel added a circuit breaker just inside the hull where the wire enters. If you have this then no worries.

As a temporary measure I would not worry about it.
My only issue is that you say your boat has a 16 amp plug on it.
I don't remember what mine is.
Please check the main circuit breaker on the electrical panel on my 53 it is on the side of the AC panel. 16 amps seems very small for the load that the boat could use.
It is possible that the previous owner changed out the larger European connector for a smaller one.
If that is the case, then just change out both connectors to the larger ones.

I just wish I were on board to see what connectors I used for Kimberlite.
I have an amp monitor that I built for Kimberlite (photo above) . I have never seen it go to more than 12 amps.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I have a second hand twist lock plug available. It comes from à US boat and has a shirt cord sealed. Don’t know for sure it is a 50A and wire sections are far bigger than on mine.
All the colours you mentioned are here.
My cord ends with a 16A male plug. I have a 16A female plug available. I also have available 32A male and female plugs.
What I don’t get is the reason why I would need a circuit breaker on the line if I create a jumper as there is a circuit breaker on board at the end of the shore cord.
Bertrand

Eric Freedman

Kimberlite was delivered from the factory with 2 dolphin chargers capable of 50/60 cycles.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Yes, I replaced my Dolphin chargers with a Victron Quattro 120amp/5kw inverter and a Victron Skylla 80 amp second charger.

I am not sure if the Dolphin can take 60hz - you can google the specs or look at the manual to find that, I am sure.

We have lithium, so we run everything on the inverter. Microwave, washing machine, AC, water heater, induction, boiler, scuba compressor, etc.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

hanspeter baettig

Jose
negative
don‘t write things you don‘t fully understand.
In Europe we have on the 3 phase system never 440 Volt. Its not 2* of 220 Volt. We have 380 Volt. Don‘t matter , because on Amels we have never 3 phase electrical systems.
Cheers
Hanspeter
SM16, Tamango 2

------ Original Nachricht ------
Am Freitag, 7. Jan, 2022 um 21:05, Jose Venegas via groups.io<josegvenegas=icloud.com@groups.io> schrieb:

[...]

Warm thank you to everyone for your contributions.
Thanks Eric for your guidance.
Thanks Bill for the clear and helpful abstract of your Amel book
I now have 220V from the dock on board and with the jumper a flexible solution that I can use again where needed.

Le 7 janv. 2022 à 19:38, Eric Freedman <kimberlite@optonline.net> a écrit :

[...]

<4.jpg>

Mark Erdos

Bertrand,

Our experience (7 years and counting) is in 110v countries the marinas offer a 220 shore-power source. Without 220v, they will seriously limit their appeal for boats docking with them. We have yet to encounter no 220 power option.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

On our way for a circumnavigation started in Europe we are now crossing a 120V zone.
In Panama there were still solutions in the marinas to get energy from the dock.
Currently in Quepos Costa Rica there is none.
I am interested to know from this Amel community how other amelians did manage connections to the dock energy in these 120V countries.
Bertrand on SV ANTINEA A54 #43

Dan Carlson

Another important "watch-out" if you have a Victron Multi-Plus.  Even if you have set the inverter to produce 50hz power, if the inverter "sees" the shore power frequency on the 240v input side of the device it will synchronize to that 60hz frequency. So double check if you are on shore power that your inverter circuit is still on the right frequency!

Dan Carlson on sv BeBe, sm # 387

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022, 10:28 PM JB Duler <jbduler@...> wrote:
Bertrand, keep in mind that a simple transformer will not deal with frequency. In france you have 50Hz, and it is 60Hz in the US and other parts of the world. So electronics won't work (washing machine, microwave,etc...). A simple coffee machine will work.
You may just be better off using your inverter providing 220v/50Hz and charging batteries with the generator/solar.
Check your charger, if it is a new one it may be able to accept 110v (but you may have to run a different cable).
good luck
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Scott SV Tengah

Absolutely right.

I asked my high level Victron contact if I could have my 2018 vintage Quattro take 240v/60hz shore power and just use it to charge, but NOT pass it through. He said “no”. Maybe the newer Victrons or maybe the Mastervolts can do that?

As mentioned, our solution is to charge for an hour or two and even with AC running, we’re good for almost 24 hours on battery. Then plug back in to charge them back up and repeat.

Not the most elegant solution, but we have not and do not anticipate staying in marinas that much. If we did at some point and want to be really lazy, I’ll probably just rewire so 60hz shore power ONLY goes to our secondary Skylla 80 amp charger and have that charge all day and then just run everything off the 50hz producing Quattro inverter.

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 6:05 AM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Scott,

Our Quattro, installed last October, functions as you stated with reference to frequency.  Our solution is similar, we installed a Skylla-IP65 24/35 120-240V charger with a high capacity switch at the 30A shore power breaker.  We can then charge with the Skylla (bypassing the Quattro input), and use the Quattro to invert supplying 50Hz.

Matt
SM208
SV Talia