Topics

Front furler Bamar MEJ upgrade to EJF? Is it worth it?

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Ameliens,

I consider to change the genua furler (MEJ) to the newest BAMAR model (EFJ?) - if the technic is much better then the MEJ-modell (bad engineered + belts) . There where recently 2 belts broken (within 4 weeks, after 6 month of working fine) - not nice + lot of hard work. A thing that I do not wont to have again.

Is in the new modell still a belt inside?

What is your experience?

Or is it wiser to go directly to a Reckmann?

Thanks for your responses.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 N° 119 LADY CHARLYETTE, currently Dominica

Teun BAAS

Hi Stefan,

I have, what I believe, the 3rd generation BAMAR. This version is NOT belt driven but gear driven.

No problems at all – major improvement over the previous 2 versions.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

March 2, 2020 13:23:55

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

I consider to change the genua furler (MEJ) to the newest BAMAR model (EFJ?) - if the technic is much better then the MEJ-modell (bad engineered + belts) . There where recently 2 belts broken (within 4 weeks, after 6 month of working fine) - not nice + lot of hard work. A thing that I do not wont to have again.

Is in the new modell still a belt inside?

What is your experience?

Or is it wiser to go directly to a Reckmann?

Thanks for your responses.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 N° 119 LADY CHARLYETTE, currently Dominica

Porter McRoberts

The EJF is fantastic.  Flawless operation and a pleasure to use.
No belt.  One just has to be careful, whereas the weakest link in the MEJ was the belt, the weakest link in the EJF may now be the deck hardware!
A reckmann seems fine too, but were very happy with the EJFs after 15k+miles.
Porter
A54-152 IBIS

On Mar 2, 2020, at 3:15 PM, Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Ameliens,

I consider to change the genua furler (MEJ) to the newest BAMAR model (EFJ?) - if the technic is much better then the MEJ-modell (bad engineered + belts) . There where recently 2 belts broken (within 4 weeks, after 6 month of working fine) - not nice + lot of hard work. A thing that I do not wont to have again.

Is in the new modell still a belt inside?

What is your experience?

Or is it wiser to go directly to a Reckmann?

Thanks for your responses.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 N° 119 LADY CHARLYETTE, currently Dominica

Teun BAAS

Further to Porter’s review below – or the connection between the EJF and the aluminum furler.

I checked RECKMANN before ordering the 3rd set of BAMAR’s but the price difference was extreme.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

March 2, 2020 13:40:44

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

[...]

Courtney Gorman

Make sure with the Bamar that it is set up to drain properly otherwise the brake will fail and ruin the motor
Otherwise great piece of kit
Cheers
Courtney
54 #101
Trippin

I consider to change the genua furler (MEJ) to the newest BAMAR model (EFJ?) - if the technic is much better then the MEJ-modell (bad engineered + belts) . There where recently 2 belts broken (within 4 weeks, after 6 month of working fine) - not nice + lot of hard work. A thing that I do not wont to have again.
Is in the new modell still a belt inside?
What is your experience?
Or is it wiser to go directly to a Reckmann?

Thanks for your responses.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 N° 119 LADY CHARLYETTE, currently Dominica

Porter McRoberts

Courtney.  Can you please expound? Obviously you took notice of something specific.
Always appreciated.
Porter
A54-152 IBIS

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

I consider to change the genua furler (MEJ) to the newest BAMAR model (EFJ?) - if the technic is much better then the MEJ-modell (bad engineered + belts) . There where recently 2 belts broken (within 4 weeks, after 6 month of working fine) - not nice + lot of hard work. A thing that I do not wont to have again.
Is in the new modell still a belt inside?
What is your experience?
Or is it wiser to go directly to a Reckmann?

Thanks for your responses.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 N° 119 LADY CHARLYETTE, currently Dominica

Courtney Gorman

Porter there is tubing that comes out of the bottom of the unit and goes through the deck into the sail locker it serves two purposes it carries the wires for the power it also acts as the drain for the unit sometimes if this package is not stretched tight a loop is created near the Furler so water cannot drain which then allows
The break in the bottom of the Furler to rust and seize and the motor burns out

On Mar 2, 2020, at 4:22 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

[...]

Also make sure the screw in cap on top is well sealed