Topics

Front furler Bamar MEJ upgrade to EJF? Is it worth it?

Scott SV Tengah

No, they kept the original Amel spec.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 5:27 PM Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:
Hey Scott, I forgot to ask you. Did Phillip upgrade the size of your main mast shrouds when you replaced your standing rig - as noted by Bill Rouse?
I just missed that and may have him upgrade the size when I go back next year.
Safe travels.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Stefan Schaufert

Hello to all
and thanks for your appreciated informations.

Scott,
do you think, the failure (seals/ water intrusion) is avoidable by maintenance or is it (again) bad design/ material?
Do you have any problems after changing the „dying cat“ with the „new“ EJF (It is 1 year ago now?)?

Thx a lot for your response.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 - N° 119 - Lady Charlyette, currently Guadeloupe

Scott SV Tengah

No more problems with the ejf after one year and about 9000nm.

Bamar themselves told me the mej top seal is a bad design and they didn't want to sell us kits to rebuild it. A few others have opened their mej and confirmed the same.

If you're going to keep the boat for a while, just bite the bullet and do it.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 16:46 Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:
Hello to all
and thanks for your appreciated informations.

Scott,
do you think, the failure (seals/ water intrusion) is avoidable by maintenance or is it (again) bad design/ material?
Do you have any problems after changing the „dying cat“ with the „new“ EJF (It is 1 year ago now?)?

Thx a lot for your response.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 - N° 119 - Lady Charlyette, currently Guadeloupe

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Courtney Gorman

Here Is the issue the old Furler was smaller and so the wires coming out of the Furrer and back through the deck did not have to loop back up as they do in this photo so the water can get stuck especially if the seals on top are not properly sealed

Cheers
Courtney
Trippin 54 #101
LE Marin

On Mar 3, 2020, at 8:08 PM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

I also have a problem understanding the issue on the furler drainage. The thick black (electrical) cable does go via a ss pipe (if I remember correctly) into the sail/bow locker and on AMELIT the caulking around that cable into the ss pipe was compromised and allowed water into the sail/bow locker. Once we fixed that no more water via that entry into the locker.

When I am back on the boat I will check if there is a drain plug on the bottom of the furler.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

On the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

March 3, 2020 17:08:08

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909