Fuel Stick

Patrick McAneny

I broke my plastic fuel stick , I am thinking about making one from aluminum bar stock. Is there any reason that would be a problem to use in the fuel tank ?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

The reason you should not is that your SM tank is made of 316 stainless steel. You will get dissimilar metal corrosion where the stick touches the tank...worse case is that the corrosion will penetrate the tank.

The above is not true with later model tanks beginning with the 54 that are made of aluminum.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I broke my plastic fuel stick , I am thinking about making one from aluminum bar stock. Is there any reason that would be a problem to use in the fuel tank ?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Bill , That is why I asked, I thought it may present a problem . I suppose I could cap the end or keep it out of the tank and store it elsewhere.
You may remember that I have been eating up my zincs faster than normal. You have said that the electric toilets are a source of electrical leak. Does that occur only when you run it ,have the switch on? Maybe I should email yo direct or put it a new thread.
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat, I am sure it is possible to repair the fuel dip sick. I haven't done it but a wrap of fiberglass cloth and resin should do it with good cleaning beforehand eg with acetone.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 25 July 2021 at 07:13 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

I probably did not make myself clear regarding the electric toilets. I later model SMs and all models from the 54 onward, Amel installed a current leak detector (MASS). It is a small toggle switch and LED which will test for a connection between the house bank positive and Bonding as well as the house bank negative and bonding.

When a failure is indicated by the LED, it is almost always caused by a failed seal on the macerator pump on the toilet, unless of course if someone has made some change or addition to the wiring anywhere on the boat.

This is what it looks like on a 54:
image.png

Snippet from my book:
image.png

In your case without the Amel-designed testing device, I think you can do this to see if you have a leak...finding it will be another chapter...let me know.
image.png

+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I broke my plastic fuel stick , I am thinking about making one from aluminum bar stock. Is there any reason that would be a problem to use in the fuel tank ?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Bill, Yes that is what I remember you said, but I was wondering if that leak only occurred while being operated. I assume that the electric current travels thru the water in the intake hose to the sea and would be broken once the hose was empty of sea water ?? I wish my boat came with the Mass. Is there somewhere in the file section that explains how to detect a leak using a volt meter. I am not sure I have done it correctly in the past.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

The reason you should not is that your SM tank is made of 316 stainless steel. You will get dissimilar metal corrosion where the stick touches the tank...worse case is that the corrosion will penetrate the tank.

The above is not true with later model tanks beginning with the 54 that are made of aluminum.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I broke my plastic fuel stick , I am thinking about making one from aluminum bar stock. Is there any reason that would be a problem to use in the fuel tank ?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Danny ,I wish I could ,but it broke into many pieces , some still in the tank. I hope they won't be a problem down the road.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

The reason you should not is that your SM tank is made of 316 stainless steel. You will get dissimilar metal corrosion where the stick touches the tank...worse case is that the corrosion will penetrate the tank.

The above is not true with later model tanks beginning with the 54 that are made of aluminum.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32= aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I broke my plastic fuel stick , I am thinking about making one from aluminum bar stock. Is there any reason that would be a problem to use in the fuel tank ?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat,

Sorry, I did not answer your question. What happens inside the macerator pump when the seal starts leaking is saltwater gets into the motor wiring and inside the motor case.

With the electric toilet Flush/Empty switches in the OFF position, the negative of the 24v house bank is still connected to the motor. Only the positive wire is switched with the switches. The saltwater creates continuity between the negative and the motor case. The bonding wire is connected to the motor case. Saltwater bridges the bonding to the negative side of the house bank and you have a negative leak.

You would only have a positive leak when the motor is energized by the switch.

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 4:57 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Eric Freedman

Hi Pat,

I have broken my fuel stick twice and have very successfully repaired it, I am now in the process of repairing it a third time.

Do you have a photo of the broken stick?

I have fuel diverter valve which sends new fuel through a Racor filter—Thanks Ian and Judy- through a pump and then into the tank. Zealous crewmembers have broken the stick by not removing it from the tank before turning the diverter valve.

It is an easy permanent fix on Kimbelite. Please send photos and possibly the stick can be repaired.

Fair Winds

ERIC

Kimberlite Amel SM 376,