Topics

Fuel tank cleaning

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi all,

I have noticed that there is sludge sticking to the bottom of the fuel dip stick. After enquiring about getting the tank cleaned I have some questions:

Are there baffles in the tank that may restrict access to the bottom of the tank in places? I notice that there are two inspection hatches, of which the forward has an electrical cable connected to a terminal on top of it. I would also like to know what that is for.

It was also suggested to me that the tank may be sloping downwards towards the fore so the forward part may accumulate more sludge than what my dip stick may be indicating. Is this the case?

Which leads to … where is the fuel outlet – fore or aft?

My appreciations in advance for any answers!

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul

Scott SV Tengah

Paul,

Pretty sure fuel outlet is fore as that's where the Racors are. The forward hatch wires are for the electronic fuel gauge in the cockpit fuel locker.

There's bit of a baffle. Just open up the hatches and all will be obvious. It's pretty easy to open.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Scott,

Thanks for that. Yes, I should have guessed the wires for the gauge! A for the possible slope I guess I could put a spirit level on and see what it averages out at.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Pretty sure fuel outlet is fore as that's where the Racors are. The forward hatch wires are for the electronic fuel gauge in the cockpit fuel locker.

There's bit of a baffle. Just open up the hatches and all will be obvious. It's pretty easy to open.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Sv Garulfo

For info: A54 diesel tank blueprint attached.

Hope that helps
Thomas

GARULFO
A54-122
Tahuata, French Polynesia

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 16:53, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

[...]

Ruslan Osmonov

Hi, how do you clean it? On my current boat I open tank every spring and use plastic tube connected to a pump to remove 1-2 gallons until I stop seeing black chunks from the bottom.
I do that to avoid filters clogging, even though I have double primaries setup. Preventive measures. I’d like to continue to clean the tanks with Amel as well, knowing that it would reduce my chances of clogging primaries.