Topics

Furling main on Amel 60

Arno Luijten

Dear forum,

Did anyone have a close look at the furling system on the new Amel 60 for the main sail. From what I can see they changed the way this works but the pictures are not very detailed. More specifically the way the outhaul works seems to have changed as the motor seems to have disappeared from the boom.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno,

I did not notice that but did notice the use of electric ProFurl furlers rather than Reckmann furlers on the genoa and staysail.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 9:42 AM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Dear forum,

Did anyone have a close look at the furling system on the new Amel 60 for the main sail. From what I can see they changed the way this works but the pictures are not very detailed. More specifically the way the outhaul works seems to have changed as the motor seems to have disappeared from the boom.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill,

Not surprised about the change to ProFurl. Reckmann may be good stuff but the price is eye-watering.
If you look closely at the mainsail you will notice an block in the mainsail and a line going to the end of the boom. That seems the way most Selden masts are setup, but they use a winch for the outhaul.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Edited

Found this picture:

I'm intrigued by this. Why did they change the setup?

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Denis Foster

Hello,

The Selden setup is like this or also a hydraulic in boom with a synchronised furling unfurling with The hydraulic in mast with only one button.

I think Selden has just released a synchronised Electrical version.

Regards

Denis
Ex Meltem #32

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Arno Luijten

Hi Denis,

Aha, so you are saying they are now using a hydraulic furling system for the main. Interesting as it seems the headsail furlers are still electric. I'm not sure if I like that added complexity.

Thanks for the info,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Denis Foster

What I meant is that Selden has had for many years a Mainsail hydraulic furling and outhaul in the boom.

And now they are selling a synchronised electric system for mainsail furling. I understood it uses load measuring to adapt the outhaul to the in mast furling.

Denis

Envoyé de mon iPhone

I believe one answer could be that Amel is moving to off-the-shelf devices, rather than Amel-engineered devices for many things. The following is a list of such moves that I have noticed:
Amel Bow Thruster to Side-Power
Amel Genoa Furler to Bamar to Reckmann to ProFurl
Amel-assembled Main outhaul and furling motor assembled to a gearbox to a one-piece motor assembly
Amel-made freshwater level to off-the-shelf tank tenders
Amel-made breaker panels to off-the-shelf panels

I am sure the list is much longer. I believe it makes perfect sense. Many of these devices were not available for Amel to purchase when Amel decided to include them in their boats, or at the very least, what was available did not satisfy Captain Amel. Thus the Amel made and/or engineered devices. Today we have a different situation with what is available. Also, I assume that Amel realizes that the ethical liability to maintain and supply parts and replacements for in-house engineered, assembled, or made devices require a sizeable investment. Bottom Line is I totally understand Amel's movement to off-the-shelf devices and components.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 9:45 AM Denis Foster <deniswfoster@...> wrote:
What I meant is that Selden has had for many years a Mainsail hydraulic furling and outhaul in the boom.

And now they are selling a synchronised electric system for mainsail furling. I understood it uses load measuring to adapt the outhaul to the in mast furling.

Denis

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Joerg Esdorn

This setup proved a 2:1 purchase for the outhaul.  Probably necessary given the massive mainsail.  I don’t think the winch system used on the smaller boats would work

Joerg Esdorn

A55 Kincsem