Topics

Fusion Marine Stereo (24 volt?)

Kevin Schmit

I was wondering if anyone has successfully sourced a  24 volt Fusion Marine stereo ?  I could only find 12 volt systems on line.

Thanks.

Kevin

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Ken
The Radio is Connect wothe 12 V

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Mark Erdos

Hi Kevin,

The power to the radio goes through a 24-12 vdc convertor.

In regard to the Fusion stereo: IMO good speakers but overprice radio/receiver (unless you plan to mount it outside). I would suggest a standard known brand car radio with BT and a USB input on the front. This way you can plug any device into it. I have been using for 9 years an Alpine CDE series unit and am very happy with it. It was about 1/3 the price of Fusion. I looked long and hard at the Fusion line before buying Alpine. The ability to mix the sound output to my preference was the selling point of Alpine.

Most reputable car audio manufacturers will spray their circuitry with silicone to avoid corrosion – think of an install in a convertible in a coastal area. This is the same process touted by Fusion and is commonplace in most other manufacturers. Marketing spin can work wonders for sales.

As an added thought, I replaced the interior speakers of my SM with 6X9’s. These offer a much better full range of sound. There is plenty of room to make this upgrade. You will need to make the hole larger for the interior speakers.

Replacing the cockpit speakers needs a little care since the speakers have magnets and can interfere with the compass, especially the port side.  I used Fusion 4” speakers – they are almost a perfect fit to the original hole Amel cut for the original speakers and will not affect the accuracy of the compass.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Schmit
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2020 4:32 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Fusion Marine Stereo (24 volt?)

I was wondering if anyone has successfully sourced a  24 volt Fusion Marine stereo ?  I could only find 12 volt systems on line.

Thanks.

Kevin

Ian Townsend

I replaced my previous Pioneer with Fusion AV-650. It is mounted in the open cabinet area in the main salon on portside. My biggest complaint is that the BT does not carry far. This could be a function if its placement or the unit itself. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2020-10-18 12:04 (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Fusion Marine Stereo (24 volt?)

Hi Kevin,

The power to the radio goes through a 24-12 vdc convertor.

In regard to the Fusion stereo: IMO good speakers but overprice radio/receiver (unless you plan to mount it outside). I would suggest a standard known brand car radio with BT and a USB input on the front. This way you can plug any device into it. I have been using for 9 years an Alpine CDE series unit and am very happy with it. It was about 1/3 the price of Fusion. I looked long and hard at the Fusion line before buying Alpine. The ability to mix the sound output to my preference was the selling point of Alpine.

Most reputable car audio manufacturers will spray their circuitry with silicone to avoid corrosion – think of an install in a convertible in a coastal area. This is the same process touted by Fusion and is commonplace in most other manufacturers. Marketing spin can work wonders for sales.

As an added thought, I replaced the interior speakers of my SM with 6X9’s. These offer a much better full range of sound. There is plenty of room to make this upgrade. You will need to make the hole larger for the interior speakers.

Replacing the cockpit speakers needs a little care since the speakers have magnets and can interfere with the compass, especially the port side.  I used Fusion 4” speakers – they are almost a perfect fit to the original hole Amel cut for the original speakers and will not affect the accuracy of the compass.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Schmit
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2020 4:32 AM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Fusion Marine Stereo (24 volt?)

Thanks.

Kevin

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

For more pover in the speakers and in the Beach i take 

B&O Beolith 

This is a serpiced moment when you here this saund 

Ryan Meador

The Fusion stereos (and presumably other brands of actual marine stereos) have two major advantages of car stereos: 1) they use class D amplifiers, which use significantly less power compared to class A/B/AB usually found in car stereos, and 2) they have multi-zone audio support.  You can fake the multi-zone thing with the front/rear fader adjustment of a car stereo, but it's clunky and causes the volume on both sets of speakers to change, so you're constantly adjusting to get it right.  True multi-zone means independent volume control, and you can even mount a remote control panel.  Some support 3+ zones, so you could add speakers to every cabin if you so desired.  I had one of these on my previous boat and I really liked it.

If you find a 24V marine stereo, please let me know.  I've been looking for one ever since I bought my SM and haven't been able to find any.  It would be fantastic to remove the power loss of the converter, and also be able to listen to the stereo without powering up the instruments.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 1:50 PM Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

B&O Beolith 

Mark Erdos

Ryan and Kelly,

Not powering up the instruments is an easy fix: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-24V-to-12V-Step-Down-20A-240W-Converter-Car-Power-Supply-DC-module-UK/193576430199?hash=item2d120dea77:g:gY4AAOSwIUpfD87d

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Meador
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 4:22 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Fusion Marine Stereo (24 volt?)

The Fusion stereos (and presumably other brands of actual marine stereos) have two major advantages of car stereos: 1) they use class D amplifiers, which use significantly less power compared to class A/B/AB usually found in car stereos, and 2) they have multi-zone audio support.  You can fake the multi-zone thing with the front/rear fader adjustment of a car stereo, but it's clunky and causes the volume on both sets of speakers to change, so you're constantly adjusting to get it right.  True multi-zone means independent volume control, and you can even mount a remote control panel.  Some support 3+ zones, so you could add speakers to every cabin if you so desired.  I had one of these on my previous boat and I really liked it.

If you find a 24V marine stereo, please let me know.  I've been looking for one ever since I bought my SM and haven't been able to find any.  It would be fantastic to remove the power loss of the converter, and also be able to listen to the stereo without powering up the instruments.

Ryan and Kelly

SM 233 Iteration

Salem, MA, USA

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 1:50 PM Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

B&O Beolith