Topics

Fw: SM showers

sail1232003 <sailaway@netvigator.com> <sailaway@...>

Hi Ian, thanks for the info, (thanks to everybody else also for their
inputs). Actually I remember you flying into HKG (Kai Tak), I am a
Haeco line engr and we used to handle your company, I recognize your
face from your website. We live onbd our celestial 48 in Clearwater
Bay Marina out Sai Kung way, it is really beautiful and some good
cruising grounds right at our marina entrance. We will stay here
after we change our boat, but not yet made our mind up what to get.
Your website was great, gave a really good insight into owning an
Amel. Hope you continue it when you get sorted out. brgds Peter
--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Ian Shepherd" <g4ljf@c...>
wrote:
Hello Peter,

I have lived aboard my SM2000 for 27 months continuously and find
no problem with the showers. The later boats have a shower curtain
that wraps around over the door, and if you stand with your back to
the basin so that the spray is away from the wall, there is little to
worry about. I just polish the door every month or so, and
occasionally wipe the wall fabric over with a kitchen degreasing
cleaner. I also shower at least twice a day.

If I have any criticism of the shower tray, it is the fact that the
washbasin drain exits into the tray. When the yacht is hard pressed
on the starboard tack and you pull the plug out of the basin, take
your socks off first as the water tends to run towards the toilet
bowl and up through the grating and not down the drain hole due to
the angle of heel. Maybe if the basin drain pipe tee'd into the waste
pipe below the centre floor, the problem would be eradicated, or
lessened. Amel advise a max heel angle of 15 degrees for best
performance, which would probably avoid the problem, but as we all
know, this is not always possible to adhere to, especially when
single handed and having a wash!

As an ex airline pilot who often frequented the RHKYC, I wonder
where you will be berthed?

Best Wishes

Ian Shepherd SM #299 (and another soon) "Crusader"