Galley fridge failing

karkauai

Hi all, hope everyone is getting back out on the water after a rather bizarre two years.
Our galley fridge isn't keeping things cold enough any more.  I've had it worked on several times over the last 10 years and think it may be time to consider a new fridge.  It has always run waaay more than the boxes under the dinette seats, and I suspect it doesn't have efficient insulation.
I read Mark's fix from a few years ago, but I've spent enough money and time on this unit that I could have bought a new one and saved the money and headaches.

Has anyone replaced the upright galley fridge with a new fridge-only unit?  Drawers vs upright?  What model?

I think I could make/install wooden panels that would keep the original look.
I don't want to get into plumbing for a water cooled unit.

Thanks for any help.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

ERIC LICHTY & ROBYN ATKINSON

Hello Kent and Iris and Amelians-
Eric and Robyn here, LIBBY SM #196 based out of Los Angeles.  We replaced fridge two years ago with double chest drawer unit from Vitrifrigo, integral cooling unit, 110v/24v  (for US configuration).  Chest drawers are the way to go especially in a seaway.  Most manufacturers are offering something similar.  This particular model was a close fit, but working flawlessly so far.  Added feature is ability to make one chest a freezer, good backup if underbench freezer packs it up.  Highly recommended.  Good sailing all.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 10:02 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Eric C. Lichty
ECLMARINE, LLC.
cell:      425 354-7720

Ian Townsend

Kent, we replaced our fridge 4 years ago with the upright Isotherm Cruise 130 model. Aside from the occasional thermostat change (twice), it’s performed well for us. We bought the ‘Drinks’ version that doesn’t have a freezer compartment. We mounted the wood door to the fridge door with liquid nails.

Ian & Margaret
Loca Lola II
SM153

On Mar 13, 2022, at 1:02 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Osterberg

We replaced ours last year with an Isotherm Rather please with it. Made a short video on the installation https://youtu.be/pdU-mHJgY-Y
Paul in SY Kerpa SM 259

karkauai

Thanks Libby and Loca Lola.  I looked at both of those units online and thought they would work.  Nice to find that there are a number of drop-in replacements.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

karkauai

Thank you, Paul.  Hope I don't have to cut the trim to make mine fit.
Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Ian Townsend

The Isotherm Cruise 130 requires no mods.