Galley fridge failing

karkauai

Hi all, hope everyone is getting back out on the water after a rather bizarre two years.
Our galley fridge isn't keeping things cold enough any more.  I've had it worked on several times over the last 10 years and think it may be time to consider a new fridge.  It has always run waaay more than the boxes under the dinette seats, and I suspect it doesn't have efficient insulation.
I read Mark's fix from a few years ago, but I've spent enough money and time on this unit that I could have bought a new one and saved the money and headaches.

Has anyone replaced the upright galley fridge with a new fridge-only unit?  Drawers vs upright?  What model?

I think I could make/install wooden panels that would keep the original look.
I don't want to get into plumbing for a water cooled unit.

Thanks for any help.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

ERIC LICHTY & ROBYN ATKINSON

Hello Kent and Iris and Amelians-
Eric and Robyn here, LIBBY SM #196 based out of Los Angeles.  We replaced fridge two years ago with double chest drawer unit from Vitrifrigo, integral cooling unit, 110v/24v  (for US configuration).  Chest drawers are the way to go especially in a seaway.  Most manufacturers are offering something similar.  This particular model was a close fit, but working flawlessly so far.  Added feature is ability to make one chest a freezer, good backup if underbench freezer packs it up.  Highly recommended.  Good sailing all.  

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 10:02 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all, hope everyone is getting back out on the water after a rather bizarre two years.
Our galley fridge isn't keeping things cold enough any more.  I've had it worked on several times over the last 10 years and think it may be time to consider a new fridge.  It has always run waaay more than the boxes under the dinette seats, and I suspect it doesn't have efficient insulation.
I read Mark's fix from a few years ago, but I've spent enough money and time on this unit that I could have bought a new one and saved the money and headaches.

Has anyone replaced the upright galley fridge with a new fridge-only unit?  Drawers vs upright?  What model?

Thanks for any help.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

--
Eric C. Lichty
ECLMARINE, LLC.
cell:      425 354-7720

Ian Townsend

Kent, we replaced our fridge 4 years ago with the upright Isotherm Cruise 130 model. Aside from the occasional thermostat change (twice), it’s performed well for us. We bought the ‘Drinks’ version that doesn’t have a freezer compartment. We mounted the wood door to the fridge door with liquid nails. 

Ian & Margaret
Loca Lola II
SM153

On Mar 13, 2022, at 1:02 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Thanks for any help.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Paul Osterberg

We replaced ours last year with an Isotherm Rather please with it. Made a short video on the installation https://youtu.be/pdU-mHJgY-Y
Paul in SY Kerpa SM 259

karkauai

Thanks Libby and Loca Lola.  I looked at both of those units online and thought they would work.  Nice to find that there are a number of drop-in replacements.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

karkauai

Thank you, Paul.  Hope I don't have to cut the trim to make mine fit.
Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Ian Townsend

The Isotherm Cruise 130 requires no mods.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2022-03-14 10:15 a.m. (GMT-05:00)
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Galley fridge failing

Thank you, Paul.  Hope I don't have to cut the trim to make mine fit.
Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Darren Moore

Edited

Hello Eric and Robyn,

Can I please ask what model Vitrifrigo you installed?

Is it the Vitrifrigo DW180? 

I've been looking at this model and the specs indicate that it might fit, but it's really tight, I wasn't sure I even could get it to where your first picture shows

Hoping this is the model you installed as it looks like a perfect solution

Kindest regards 
--
Darren & Karen
SM171
LaGecko
Tasmania, Australia

Chris Paul

Hi Darren & Karen,
I am also looking for a fridge. 
For me I want the simplicity of a drop-in with minimal modifications required. 
Here is my latest preferred model and it fits easily.
It is the same volume as the old one - 130L 

Some people have installed larger fridges but I suspect they did modifications to the bench top carpentry & placed the compressor elsewhere. 
On my boat the fridge is between the stairwell & the two sinks. 

Chris Paul
SM352
SV Glazig
Whangarei, NZ

On Wednesday, 17 August 2022 at 04:52:00 pm NZST, Darren Moore <kazdaz@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello Eric and Robyn,

Is it the Vitrifrigo DW180? 

I've been looking at this model and the specs indicate that it might fit, but it's really tight, I wasn't sure I even could get it to where your first picture shows

Kindest regards 
--
Darren & Karen
SM171
LaGecko
Tasmania, Australia

Darren Moore

Hello Chris,

Thank you for this information, I like the double drawer solution of the Vitrifrigo, but a single drawer might be a go too, especially as it looks as though it will fit easily.

We have an earlier SM, our fridge is in the corner next to the stove, sink is closer to the stairs, I imagine that the 130 will fit in our location too

Kindest regards 
--
Darren & Karen Moore
SM171
LaGecko
Tasmania, Australia

ERIC LICHTY & ROBYN ATKINSON

Will have details for you next week....working very well especially in a seaway.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022, 9:49 PM Darren Moore <Kazdaz@...> wrote:
Hello Eric and Robyn,

Is it the Vitrifrigo DW180.2DT? 

Kindest regards 
--
Darren & Karen
SM171
LaGecko
Tasmania, Australia

Rob Andrews

We replaced our Isotherm 130 with a Bushman DC130X 2yrs ago. Direct drop in replacement and uses half the power as the Isotherm even though both have the same Danfoss compressor etc. Maybe just better insulation on the Bushman I suspect. 
I do see the advantage of the drawer type units but I believe that you lose a little internal space compared to the traditional design units. 
--
Rob & Dee
SV Jaygo.
SM#224
Brisbane, Australia