Galley fridge intermittently cooling

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

Our fridge evaporator seems to be partially and  intermittently cold. And the compressor runs but stops after a while. It had happened recently that the fridge stopped cooling but after a stop and start, i heard a hissing noise near the evaporator and it worked again for a few weeks.

I searched this forum for contributions and found plenty around refilling the system with cooling gas, amongst other solutions that I will investigate.
However, I was under the impression that there was a discussion about ice crystals clogging the evaporator circuit and some filter that could be changed. I cannot find that discussion though and may have dreamed it altogether...

Any advice on that front?

Thanks
Thomas
A54-122
Moorea

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Thomas;

We had a similar situation last year. The controller on the compressor is equipped with an LED or a connection point that an LED can be connected to, so the unit will give you one of 4 or 5 error codes. I do not remember exactly as it was a while ago and I do not have all of my notes in front of me.

There is also a potentiometer (variable resistor) on the board that allows for selection of the compressor RPM. In our case, reducing the RPMs from max RPM of 3500 to 2000, fixed the issue for about a year. After that, the problem reoccurred and our investigation, along with a  trusted dealer in Corfu Greece, led to the conclusion that the compressor had failed an we ended up replacing the entire unit.

Lowering the RPMs has the effect of lowering the load on the compressor. So if the compressor is marginal, it will work for a while. The effect of lower RPM on the performance of the refrigerator, is the speed at which it cools the unit down to the desired temperature. Our unit was 11 years old at the time and we felt had provided an expected life for the product. This was the top load refrigerator in the galley that gets a lot of usage.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Our fridge evaporator seems to be partially and  intermittently cold. And the compressor runs but stops after a while. It had happened recently that the fridge stopped cooling but after a stop and start, i heard a hissing noise near the evaporator and it worked again for a few weeks.

I searched this forum for contributions and found plenty around refilling the system with cooling gas, amongst other solutions that I will investigate.

However, I was under the impression that there was a discussion about ice crystals clogging the evaporator circuit and some filter that could be changed. I cannot find that discussion though and may have dreamed it altogether...

Any advice on that front?

Thanks

Thomas

A54-122

Moorea

Arno Luijten

Hi Thomas,

Ice crystals would occur if the filling of the system was not done properly. There is a filter in the system that binds any moisture that may be left at filling time. Normally they replace this filter when refilling. Once a system is working properly there is no interference with the atmosphere so moisture cannot enter. If the system is leaking you may see moisture enter the system after so much gas has escaped that at run-time the low pressure side gets below atmospheric pressure (depending on where the leak is). If you still have the original compressors (you can see this by looking at the way the speed control works). The newer units use a rotary switch if I'm correct. If you still run the originals chances are you have a gas leakage, most probably at the quick-fittings. These are the screw connectors that connect the evaporator to the compressor.
In my case the problem was a leaking heat-exchanger (the tube on top of the compressor) that rotted away due to the salt water in the circuit. In the end I replaced all the compressors.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Porter McRoberts

Thomas.
Likely you can sort this yourself, but if not I have a soup to nuts Refrigerator guy here in Tahiti if you need one.

Porter

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Sep 24, 2020, at 5:13 PM, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Erdos

Thomas,

If you need a vacuum pump and gauges, I have a set. You know where to find me J

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Thanks Mohammad,

Hi tried rigging one of my led saloon lights to the connection points on the controller but it didn’t show anything. I blame my rigging/understanding of the connection points. As an aside, i believe the fan attached to the metal radiator on the compressor to be failed.

The potentiometer is set to 3000 rpm at present.

Did you replace just the compressor part, or also the evaporator? Our issue applies to the Stainless steel unit, which is our primary fridge.

Investigation continues...

Thomas

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 13:58, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Arno

Do you know where this filter is located by any chance?

Also, in the probable case I have a leak, how did you conclude it was located in the seawater heat exchange?

We have the original units ; the rpm control is a simple philips screw driver operated potentiometer.

Cheers

Thomas

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 17:13, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Porter,

I think I know who you are referring to. Met Mike on several social occasions last year. I’ll probably pick his brains.

Thanks
Thomas

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 17:30, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mark for the offer! Interesting how many people actually carry that type of equipment. I’m looking forward to learn more about the process and de-mystify fridges. I may take you on your offer and it’ll be a pleasure to see you guys in Tahiti or Moorea anyway.

Thomas

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 18:13, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

An LED bulb will not work. You need an old style LED Diode. These have the two long pins that are usually installed on circuit boards and usually come in a red color. You could have other colors too, which is fine. You can usually find them in electronics stores. Try reducing the RPM to 2000 and see if that helps. If it does, and the compressor starts and stays on and the fridge cools, then your compressor may be getting to the end of its life.

We just replaced the compressor under the top load refrigerator in the galley. I think all of the three compressors are the same or very similar.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

To give an update:
An refrigeration engineer friend came to have a look and found the system low on refrigerant, but couldn’t find a leak. The usual culprit (the seals in the quick fittings) were not at fault. We opted to top it up and see the evolution. 2 weeks later, it’s still good. Keeping an eye on it.

I also found the fan that cools the heat sink on the compressor to be dead and replaced it. Pic attached in case you want to get spares. It’s a 24V unit but the system runs it at 12V. It’s pretty standard and costs a few dollars on Amazon.

Thanks
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Papeete, Tahiti

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 19:37, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

WASABI - Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Amelia’s, (@ Arno & Mohammad)

The Galley fridge on my A54 is only intermittently cooling and sometimes it stops completely until I can restart it. A fridge-guy told me; - it is the filter blocked inside the unit and it is a common problem on boat fridges. He mentioned, he need to take out the compressor to change the filter (just a 2€ part). But to take out the compressor on my A54#55, it seems I need to dismantle a big parts of the galley because the “service opening” is too small for the compressor replacement.

Does anyone know where this filter is located by any chance?

@ Arno/Mohammad, I have found in older treats that you had similar problems and you both changed the compressor. How was it gone and how to change the compressor without too much hazzle? The opening is too small, even if I’m able to remove the big wood panel galley front.

How was it in your case?

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Puerto Almerimar

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Datum: Freitag, 25. September 2020 um 05:13
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Randall Walker

Ruedi.
Its a long shot, but if your water pump is very old you could have a lack of cooling water running through the fridge and two freezers.
I could hear the fridge running, but the cooling pump had stopped working, even though the pump controller in the engine compartment had tried to turn the pump on.
I had this happen and found turning off the fridge and freezers for a couple of hours, then after this I turned them back on and they worked fine. Finding this meant the compressor would cool the fridge and freezers.
So I dismantled the shur flo pump, cleaned the brushes, reassembled the unit and was back in business.
So I suspect the compressor freezes up, and no longer cools the fridge.But the fridge is running
That has been my experience.
I have purchased two new pumps, one is a backup. For when I return to the boat I will also pump some diluted hydrochloric acid through the cooling lines as well.

Randall
A54#56

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Datum: Freitag, 25. September 2020 um 05:13
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Hi Ruedi,

I got to learn a lot about refrigeration since my last post.

Intermittent cooling can be caused by a blockage in the refrigerant circuit. I find that the best way to confirm that is to measure the power consumed by the compressor. Either with an amp meter or better with a wattmeter that will show voltage, amps, watts, max amps, max watts, total watts, total amphrs. They cost a handful of dollars on Amazon / AliExpress.

A blocked circuit will show the compressor consuming lower power (only 20W instead of 60/100W, but constantly). The evaporator will be cool (not cold) and sweaty. Stop/Start of the unit may cause the compressor to stall (stops itself, waits 30s and tries again), emitting the corresponding error code on the diagnosis LED (if you have one plugged in). The fan runs continuously during that sequence, which can be mistaken for the compressor running. Learn to recognise the various sounds.

The blockage can be due to ice crystals or corrosion sludge.  Usually the blockage is on the capillary, the hair-thin copper tube leading to the evaporator plate, but can also happen at the entry of the evaporator, where the refrigerant expands and the temp gets super cold.

Ice crystals form because tiny amounts of humid air can be sucked in on the vacuum side of the compressor at the quick connector.

Aluminum sludge can form because of the corrosion of the evaporator plate by the refrigerant chemicals.

The filter drier, located after the condenser (the u shaped water circulation tube sitting on top of the compressor on our units) is meant to catch such impurities but can/will saturate at some point.

It’s difficult to differentiate between solid and ice blockage, but if the unit cools again after you let the evaporator warm up to room temp, you can hope it’s ice based.

You can also gently knock on the evaporator around the thinnest section of the embedded evaporator tube, with a rubber tool or snapping your fingers and hope to dislodge the blockage. You’ll hear a hissing sound and the evaporator will frost promptly.

Ice cristal issues may be resolved by changing the filter drier, vacuuming the system thoroughly and refilling with refrigerant.

Solid blockage types are trickier and usually need a change of evaporator/capillary, since they are located after the filter and before the capillary.

So there is a risk that changing just the filter drier may not solve the issue.

While you have someone onboard working at welding/brazing a new filter drier, ask them to remove the quick connectors and weld the circuit.  Those quick connectors make it really easy to install the fridge initially but will fail and lead to refrigerant loss, humidity infiltration, and workhours of fridge engineers, some (many?) of them using the occasion to sell complete new fridges.
They are also an environmental nonsense because the will lead to people topping up with refrigerant again and again instead of addressing the issue. R134a refrigerant is better that freon but still an extremely potent greenhouse gaz.

A fully closed circuit instead of quick connectors vastly reduces risks of refrigerant leaks.

Access to the galley fridge/freezer compressor has been explained by Arno.

Hope this helps navigating the interesting world of refrigeration/AC engineers, whose charging of 100$ per hour in Tahiti for drinking your coffee (before 10am, your beer afterward) while everybody waits hours for the system to settle/be vaccummed/refill slowly/settles/etc, strongly encourages you to google a thing or two about fridges and potentially invest in gauges (25$), a vacuum pump (more expensive), canisters of refrigerant (only available to license holders in eco friendly countries) and maybe even an 02/propane brazing kit.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Rapa, French Polynesia

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Datum: Freitag, 25. September 2020 um 05:13
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Barry Connor

Hi Ruedi,
The fridge freezer and A/C on our 54 was not cool enough. Had different people checking and adjusting gas levels then one guy suggested cleaning the raw water lines. This was a real messy job using an acid solution. Lots of gunk came out, it was clogged limiting the water flow.
After this the fridges were cooler and the A/C is colder.
Hope this helps.
Very Best
Barry

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Le Marin marina
Martinique

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Datum: Freitag, 25. September 2020 um 05:13
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Hi Barry

Thanks for your advice. On WASABI the pump is running well and the raw water lines are clean. Therefore the fridge has another unknown problem?

Very Best

Ruedi

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Datum: Freitag, 25. September 2020 um 05:13
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Hi Randal

Thank you for your advice. In my case the cooling pump is running well and constantly. So there must be another problem with the freezer and it seems that it is the blocked filter or ice cristal issue as Thomas from Garulfo mentioned. I will do some more tests tomorrow.

Best regards

Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Datum: Freitag, 25. September 2020 um 05:13
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

My pump were all running well.
I first took the dock water, very high pressure and forced it through the raw water tube from the pump. Lots of stuff came out on the water line. I could see scales and tiny shell pits, ran this for about 30 minutes. Then I had the 2 kids from Caraibe Refrigeration come and put the acid solution through, they recycled this solution for about 30 minutes. Then did the same to the A/C pipes.
This was my problem, I didn't realise that the water flow was restricted. I was getting condensation under the freezer and excess water from the A/C evaporators. I had a few so called fridge guys check my gas in the units. Finally one guy told me it was the flow restriction. So many Amels come here with problems and you know that the mechanics here are experienced on Amels especially Caraibe Marine. Much better than Hyeres or anywhere else I have been in the Med. One indicator was that my 24v Flowjet pumps were very hot all the time. My refrig is running 24/7 all year, Lady P has the fridge/freezers always full.

It is easy to hook up a water hose and see what the flow is.

Very Best
Barry

"SV Lady Penelope II'
Amel 54.  #17
Le Marin.  Martinique

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Datum: Freitag, 25. September 2020 um 05:13
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Hi Thomas

Thank you for all the useful hints. I still get into more detail’s with your information. You are right with the Engineers changing expensive gas and drinking your coffee 😉

BTW: I searched but was not able to find Arnos treat Access to the galley fridge/freezer compressor has been explained by Arno”. ??

It sounds like a blockage as you described. Either by Ice or the filter drier is blocked (the Engineer was pointing at this as well). But I don’t know where is this filter located and how can I change it. The “Engineer” said he need to remove the compressor, but it’s not possible to move it out under the fridge in the galley.

As soon as I knock on the evaporator with my fingers I hear a hissing sound and the evaporator will frost promptly but only for a very short time. After that noise stops again, compressor sound still there like normal, and if I wait for an hour or longer so the fridge goes up to 10 or more °C. The evaporator is cool (not cold) and sweaty. The compressor works normal to my impression; littles sound, between 35-40°C warm is cooled by seawater which is about 17°C. (I measured the compressor and the cooling circuit by a laser gun). At the moment the compressor runs with about 2500 rm and consumes ca. 55W.

Early this week before the local “Fridge-Engineer” changed the gas, same situation but the compressor started to increase rpm. Now the compressor works constantly but not cooling down? With my little knowledge I think the Compressor side works normal, but not on the gas/evaporator side.

I will make more homework and will let you know, any other hints where the filter is, or how to remover the compressor are welcome.

Best

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Datum: Freitag, 25. September 2020 um 05:13
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Ruedi,

from my point of view on your issue, I recommend to get in touch directly with VECO, the OEM of the fridge and cooling systems on our boats. The company is located in Italy and are well known by their outstanding and very helpful after sales and service support.
Email or better: by phone directly. My own experience and from another 54er Amelien too.
My thought: all these A/C and fridge devices are nothing for DIY.

NB:
End of each season I flush all my A/C lines and systems overnight with a solution from citric acid. Next day all the sludge and salt clogs will leave the system as white sauce, and everything is clear.
Under the season, every 2 month I flush the Systems in the same way with 5 liters of white vinegar, regular service. Simple and easy.

Our frigos and freezers are water-cooled with fresh water, expensive but reliable.
Our entire freshwater system will be cleaned end of the season with a solution of citric acid too: 1kg solved in a bucket, poured into 200 liters in the (freshwater) tank, then flush all taps, showers outlets, all frigos and freezers on for short time. If it smells strong as lemon juice.
Let it rest for half a day and after, empty all lines in the same way. Then flush them all with fresh water. May by, your fresh water smells at the beginning a little bit like limonade. No harm! Top up your tank to full.
But all your lines and outlets are free and clean.

Next step: From these season up, we´ll start to fill dock water first thru an double water filter and then thru a water-softener. Hope we will never get residues and calcification on board.

Hope the best for you and stay safe!

Ulrich
S/Y „Soleil Bleu“
+++