Topics

Galley refrigerator not cooling

Slavko D.

Coming back to the boat I find refrigerator not cooling. I can hear fun running and compressor as well. But the plate not cold.
I do not have any instructions on board for the refrigerator. On my previous boat this was a signal that gas has to be filled i. What kind of the gas is on 1999 models of SM? How difficult is to get to the  compressor to fill the gas. Or maybe is the thermostat. How can I test that one?
Thank you for help.
--
Slavko
SM 2000

Thomas Kleman

If the compressor runs and it doesn't cool it's unlikely to be the thermostat. You may have a leak and have lost your refrigerant. Finding a pin hole in the system is very difficult (ask me how I know). You might try recharging the system with refrigerant and watching to see if a leak emerges. While you are taking the system apart, changing the manual thermostat dial to a digital readout can also be super helpful in diagnosing these types of problems as you can see when it cycles and what the exact temp is inside. My bet is the evaporator plate has a small leak.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Hanalei Bay, Kauia

Slavko D.

Yes, we have recharged the system and all works good. If that happens again we will take it out and will be checked in the service shop. Regarding thermostat as all have been working, compressor and ventilator, so it was sending a signal  to both parts of the system. Previous owner said that refrigerator was never refilled and is the service confirmed that was never recharged. So, we will see. 

Thank you for the answer.

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

You need to be very careful when cleaning your fridge.  If you get the ice off the plate with something that could puncture the gas lines within the plate, this is not being very careful.  One of my fridges was not working, and actually found a honest refrigeration guy in Tahiti.  He said, yeah I could change some parts, but I don't think that's the problem.  The quick connect links (that only cost a few dollars) usually go bad, so let's change them and fill up back up and run it.  It worked!  Paid for an hour of time, little bit of gas, and two quick connect gaskets...  Still working 2.5 years later....  All for less than $100 dollar bill.  

Now, if you were in Le Marin. there's a 6' 2" French guy that will tell you you need a new refrigerator and installation which cost only $3500.

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Yes, that’s exactly what happened to me in Le Marin and I fell for it

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Powers SV Aquarius
Sent: 28 August 2020 07:29
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Galley refrigerator not cooling

You need to be very careful when cleaning your fridge.  If you get the ice off the plate with something that could puncture the gas lines within the plate, this is not being very careful.  One of my fridges was not working, and actually found a honest refrigeration guy in Tahiti.  He said, yeah I could change some parts, but I don't think that's the problem.  The quick connect links (that only cost a few dollars) usually go bad, so let's change them and fill up back up and run it.  It worked!  Paid for an hour of time, little bit of gas, and two quick connect gaskets...  Still working 2.5 years later....  All for less than $100 dollar bill.  

Now, if you were in Le Marin. there's a 6' 2" French guy that will tell you you need a new refrigerator and installation which cost only $3500.

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Gerhard Mueller

I have had the same problem after a long hot weather period. My fridge has 2 compartments, one for freeze goods (-18 °C) and one normal goods (0-5 °C) but one compressor for both.
The normal cooling compartment becomes too warm (about +20°C) and the compressor was getting hot. The freeze compartment was still at -15°C. All this is a sign of too less cooling liquid (R134a).
So I ordered a refrigeration service who refilled a little bit R134a liquid and it worked again as it should.
You can do it yourself if you have the correct equipment and a bottle of R134a or other refrigerant your fridge has.
If however your cooling system might have a leak and all refrigerant is gone first the leak must repaired. There are chemicals available to detect leaks.
Then before refilling the cooling system it must be evacuated with a vaccum pump. A service kit together with a vacuum pump is not very expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/AUTOGEN-Portable-Refrigeration-Manifold-Conditioning/dp/B07XXP659P/ref=sr_1_16?crid=3D4BZWQ9XEYJ0&dchild=1&keywords=r134a+refrigerant+kit&qid=1598607191&sprefix=R134%2Caps%2C310&sr=8-16
When sailing in areas where is no service man available it is worth to buy such a kit.

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

Denis Foster

Hello,

Once I had to have a refill by a professional frigorist we did both the fridges and the AC.

i looked at what he was doing all the time, he was very meticulous and took his time which he told me was important to measure accurately the refrigerant filling. 

Having the right equipment is one thing having the knowledge how To do it seems not that simple.

Do you have DIY guide?

Regards 

Denis 
ex Meltem #32

Gerhard Mueller

@Denis
Correct, some knowledge is always useful. But where to start? Some people knows which way to turn a valve to close or to open, but other ones not.
There are several DIY guides available asking Google.
All refrigerators, airconditioners and other cooling device I have seen in my life have somewhere the needed information either in the manual or at a decal which kind of refrigerant and how many refrigerant (in weight) the system has. For completely refill a system the first important rule is: Refill not too much and not too less. So a professionell use a scale to weight the refrigerant bottle during the fill process.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

Barry Connor

Hi Paul, 
We are still in Le Marin. Went to the shop upstairs above Caraibe Marine and bought a new fridge door opening latch. The big French man in the shop was nice and recommended the all stainless steel latch instead of the original latch which was part plastic. (The plastic part had broken).His price was the same as advertised online from UK supplier. Easy install by me.
Is this possibly who you are referring to as we are thinking of asking him to check our fridge gas pressure? The gas pipe at the back is freezing up and dropping water on top of the water tank inspection port, then the water runs to under the stair. Mopping it up each morning. Think I have too much gas in the system. I have already Re-claged the pipe in insulation but still freezing up.
Please let me know if you think this is the same man?
We contacted Driftwood about our windscreens but can’t get to Granada, still stuck in Martinique. Thank’s for the contact.
Very Best 

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique 

On Aug 28, 2020, at 04:00, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Barry,

Yes it is the same. I don’t want to cast aspersions but I can say that Stuart from Iguana Marine in Grenada managed to fix a fridge that was not fixable in Le Marin.

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Connor via groups.io
Sent: 28 August 2020 14:40
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Hi Paul, 

We are still in Le Marin. Went to the shop upstairs above Caraibe Marine and bought a new fridge door opening latch. The big French man in the shop was nice and recommended the all stainless steel latch instead of the original latch which was part plastic. (The plastic part had broken).His price was the same as advertised online from UK supplier. Easy install by me.

Is this possibly who you are referring to as we are thinking of asking him to check our fridge gas pressure? The gas pipe at the back is freezing up and dropping water on top of the water tank inspection port, then the water runs to under the stair. Mopping it up each morning. Think I have too much gas in the system. I have already Re-claged the pipe in insulation but still freezing up.

We contacted Driftwood about our windscreens but can’t get to Granada, still stuck in Martinique. Thank’s for the contact.

Very Best 

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54. #17

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Barry Connor

Thank you Paul. I will ask Alban at Amel Le Marin to recommend someone.
Best
Barry

On Aug 29, 2020, at 04:47, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Barry,

Yes it is the same. I don’t want to cast aspersions but I can say that Stuart from Iguana Marine in Grenada managed to fix a fridge that was not fixable in Le Marin.

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Connor via groups.io

Hi Paul, 

Very Best 

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54. #17

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

I recommend that you contact the following in e Marin:
Patrice FOUGEROUSE 
CARAIBE REFRIGERATION

Port du Marin, Bassin N°1
Bl Allegre
97290 LE MARIN
MARTINIQUE FWI

patrice@... OR
contact@...
+596 (0) 696 82 24 04 

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 8:24 AM Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Best
Barry

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Very Best 

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54. #17

Cheers,

Paul

You need to be very careful when cleaning your fridge.  If you get the ice off the plate with something that could puncture the gas lines within the plate, this is not being very careful.  One of my fridges was not working, and actually found a honest refrigeration guy in Tahiti.  He said, yeah I could change some parts, but I don't think that's the problem.  The quick connect links (that only cost a few dollars) usually go bad, so let's change them and fill up back up and run it.  It worked!  Paid for an hour of time, little bit of gas, and two quick connect gaskets...  Still working 2.5 years later....  All for less than $100 dollar bill.  

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Barry Connor

Thank you Bill, I have been dealing with Caraibe Marine and they are very helpful. I didn’t know that they would do gas pressure settings on fridges. I will see them this week.
Best
Barry

On Aug 30, 2020, at 09:24, Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

Best
Barry

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Very Best 

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54. #17

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

No that I think about it I have seen another refrigeration repair shop close to where Amel is.

Cheers,

Paul

Sent: 30 August 2020 15:09

Best

Barry

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Very Best 

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54. #17

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Barry Connor

Hi Bill and Paul,
The man who is running Caraibe Refrigeration from the office upstairs  is not connected to the downstairs business Caraibe Marine.
I can confirm that he is the tall French man who has not received good reviews and is not being recommended by members of this forum.
I put out a request this morning on the Martinique Cruisers web and was put in contact with a French man who speaks English with an Aussie accent. His name is Harvey and he is recommended and has all the equipment, he confirmed with me that I probably have too much gas in the small under counter fridge. Coming by later in the week.

Thanks for all the advise.
Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #16

On Aug 31, 2020, at 04:19, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

No that I think about it I have seen another refrigeration repair shop close to where Amel is.

Cheers,

Paul

Sent: 30 August 2020 15:09

Best

Barry

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Very Best 

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54. #17

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98