Gap between the mizzen mast step and the rear cabin top on a Maramu

Marco Baldan

Dear Amel Owners Group,

Looking for a Maramu, yesterday I visited a unit for sale. The boat looks in good overall conditions but I noticed a gap between the mizzen mast support and the rear cabin top. Also the main-mast backstay chain-plate shows a gap.
The owner told me he contacted the Amel Owners Group in the past and was told this is fairly common on the Maramu and not a problem.
Has any of you, Maramu owners, experienced something similar? Is it a matter of concern? Worth glassing/fixing it?

Thanks for your advice/feedback,
marco baldan

James Watkins

I have a 1985 Maramu with exactly the same problem.  Was fixed sometime ago the first time and it happened again over time.  Proper fix did require spreading out the load on the bolts through the bulkhead.  I had the surveyor Kelly Carver do the work and she sailed from FLL to Trinidad without any deforming.  He probably would give you a quick review of the repair.  KC Marine 1 954 347 6099.

You need to watch the tension on the mizzen as some of my issues developed after a re-rigging and over tightened shrouds.

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II  Maramu hull 185

Sent from Mail for Windows

Looking for a Maramu, yesterday I visited a unit for sale. The boat looks in good overall conditions but I noticed a gap between the mizzen mast support and the rear cabin top. Also the main-mast backstay chain-plate shows a gap.
The owner told me he contacted the Amel Owners Group in the past and was told this is fairly common on the Maramu and not a problem.
Has any of you, Maramu owners, experienced something similar? Is it a matter of concern? Worth glassing/fixing it?

Thanks for your advice/feedback,
marco baldan

<Maramu mizzen mast base.jpg>

<15E6645753924A90B8F35CCED15BD0A9.png>
<Maramu mizzen mast base.jpg>

Antonio Alati

Maramu 1986  i think it’s ok

Il giorno 21 ago 2021, alle ore 21:31, Marco Baldan via groups.io <africanmarco@...> ha scritto:

Thanks Jim!

🙏👍😉

[...]

Il giorno 21 ago 2021, alle ore 21:36, Antonio Alati <a.alati@yahoo.it> ha scritto:

Marco Baldan

Thanks Antonio!
Curious how similar to my photo the gap appears.

Marco

On 21 Aug 2021, at 20:42, Antonio Alati via groups.io <a.alati=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:

<image0.jpeg>