Topics

Gas springs on the aft Lasarett

Paul Osterberg

I would like to have gas springs on the aft lasarett on my SM. Is there anyone who have installed that? in that case what size and "strength" did you use? any picture would be appreciated.
I'm afraid the hatch might be to short to have any real use for gas springs, but I might be wrong (not unusual)
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Lagos, Portugal

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

Hi Paul
I don’t think it will work with a gas strut/spring on that hatch, because you open the hatch more than 90 degrees and when the hatch is resting towards the aftcabin roof it is beyond the critical angel where it can close it self.

/Annsofie,
S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

25 mars 2020 kl. 17:48 skrev Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...>:

I would like to have gas springs on the aft lasarett on my SM. Is there anyone who have installed that? in that case what size and "strength" did you use? any picture would be appreciated.
I'm afraid the hatch might be to short to have any real use for gas springs, but I might be wrong (not unusual)
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Lagos, Portugal

Hi Paul and Lady Annita,

I have also been toying with adding gas struts to my aft locker because that is where I have my life raft and it is pretty heavy to lift up (more so every year :-)  Some thoughts I have considered are that tail gates on automobiles do open more than 90 degrees, so that should not be a problem. However, you really do not need the hatch to automatically open and close to its full swing. A manual operation where it simply gives an assist on opening would be fine (like the SM cockpit/engine room hatch).  if it opened more than 90 degrees, no problem, you could just start the closing by hand and the piston would provide the dampening to give a soft close.
I haven't engineered a specific solution yet, but it seems totally feasible. Any further thoughts/ideas or specific gas strut recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers, Craig

Gary Wells

That seems interesting to me.  My first concern is that when open, the struts would provide a small but possibly problematic interference for setting/sliding things onto the decks (I mostly just push things forward when I'm down in there hauling stuff out). I was thinking having that strut/bar in the way might be a small inconvenience.
On the other hand, it might be a small but useful grab bar as long as you didn't bend it :)

Gary W.
SM 209 Adagio
Brunswick, GA

Alan Leslie

Hi Craig,
Don't you just open the lazarette hatch and lean it back against the sloping aft cabin hatch ?
That gives complete and unparalleled access to the lazarette for any shape or size of "stuff"
IMO gas struts would just add an unnecessary complication and get in the way.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Hi Alan,
Yes, I do just open the lazarette and lean it back. But, with the life raft on top it is pretty heavy to lift it the first 45 degrees or so, so gas struts would be nice. The life raft is, I think, about 100 pounds. The Admiral struggles a bit with it. (I, of course, would never admit to that!)
Cheers

Paul Osterberg

I see the need for gas struts due to the risk of the hatch falling down and you have your toes between, One friend of mine lost her big toe in such accident, it could be put in place again, a very painful experience one could live without. With gas struts the consequence would be much less.
Paul on SY KerpaSM#259

Davi Rozgonyi

Paul! I think of losing toes every time I close that thing :) But thinking on it now, it would be far easier and not mess with the access like struts would, if you just took a foot long piece of fat pool noodle and tied it to one corner of the locker with a short line. When you open it, you flip up the noodle. If it falls, the noodle takes the brunt of it, not your toe....