Generator not starting

Nicolas Klene

Hello everybody
I thought I had already posted this ,but I cannot see it ?
Trying to start the generator ,I didn’t get even a cough, just a relay noise.
The engine started fine ,and with the engine running the gene started !
Testing the one year old engine battery revealed poor charge.
my question is as follow : Is there a hidden generator battery somewhere or only one battery starting both the engine and the gene?
If somebody has a way off keeping this 12V batterie charged preferably with solar power ,I would be delighted to be enlightened !!!
As always thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge
safe sailing & keep well
Nicolas
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

Nick,

The Onan generator has a small 12-volt alternator and the Yanmar has a 12-volt 50-75 amp alternator. When your SM was new, these were the only things charging the starting battery. There should be zero drain on the starting battery except when starting either the generator or the Yanmar. The Onan Generator will need more power to start than the Yanmar needs to start.

There is nothing on the Onan to tell you if the alternator is working. The Yanmar may have the optional gauge package which will show voltage and the increase up to about 14-volts will show that it is charging the starting battery.

It is possible to charge the starting battery by adding one of these...be sure you buy the "Isolated" model as shown below:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 4:05 PM Nicolas Klene via groups.io <laixoi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill
always there when needed !
Thank you ever so much for the quick response
I will install such a charger ! all the best
Nick

Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

Nick Newington

Hi Nicholas,
I have a 3.2W solar panel that I wire directly to the starting battery with a wire that comes out of the battery locker vent. I lay this mini solar panel on the deck by the vent exit when I leave the boat for any extended period. This keeps my start battery full. When I return to the boat, I unplug it and put it in a locker below.
image0.jpegimage1.jpeg
works for me..
Nick
S/Y Amelia
Wall Bay Fethiye
AML54-019

On 28 May 2022, at 02:53, Nicolas Klene via groups.io <laixoi@...> wrote:

Bill
always there when needed !
Thank you ever so much for the quick response
I will install such a charger ! all the best
Nick

Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

Gili Yehzkel

Hi.

On my AMEL 55 #68  I have this MasterVolt 24V-12V converter only to to keep the Engine / Generator battery always fully charged.
I hope this helps.

Gili
Lady Gaya
AMEL 55 #68

image1.jpeg

On May 28, 2022, at 10:48, Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruno COTTE

As I have 800 w LIPO batteries on My Amel 55#63 TERTIO I have installed a 220v /12VDC Victron charger for the start battery and I changed the start battery for an AGM 130AH