Genoa car control wheel

Thomas Kleman

On SM 422 (SV L’ORIENT), Ive replaced both genoa car control wheels as they corroded and fractured. This job was complicated by the fact that they were aluminum and in contact with the stainless steel rod mounting, and held in place by stainless steel screws. The corrosion was such that cutting tools were required just to get it off the mounting. I got my replacement wheels from Amel but Im concerned about this dissimilar metal issue. Im hoping someone has a creative solution.

Thomas Kleman
SV L’ORIENT
Society Islands

Bill Kinney

There is no need for a complicated solution,  Just make sure that all the places that stainless and aluminum touch are coated in TefGel.  It works.

I have been using this for 20 years, it solves the problem.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Haromine
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Eric Freedman

There is a member on this group that makes magnificent Stainless steel Cars.

If you plan on using the Amel cars, make sure you use something like duralac or some other material that will not allow the stainless to corrode into the aluminum.

Personally , I would search the group and find the Stainless cars and keep the Amel ones as a spare.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

On SM 422 (SV L’ORIENT), Ive replaced both genoa car control wheels as they corroded and fractured. This job was complicated by the fact that they were aluminum and in contact with the stainless steel rod mounting, and held in place by stainless steel screws. The corrosion was such that cutting tools were required just to get it off the mounting. I got my replacement wheels from Amel but Im concerned about this dissimilar metal issue. Im hoping someone has a creative solution.

Thomas Kleman
SV L’ORIENT
Society Islands

You are referring to Mark McGovern, and if Henri could have a "do-over" I believe that Henri would have done what Mark created.
image.png

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 11:29 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Bill and Bill- While tefgel is clever, I think its kind of a band-aid approach. I’m hoping Mark McGovern is reading this and can send info on the stainless steel wheels to “lorient422” at gmail.

Thomas Kleman
SV L’ORIENT
SM2K 422
Society Islands