Topics

genoa sheet track end cap/pulley block

John Clark

Hi All,
   I have finally gotten around to replacing the genoa sheet cars and have hit some unanticipated trouble.   Thanks to the Forum I was well prepared for releasing the rail stanchon which went without a hitch.  I am however stuck on how to remove the pulley block at the end of the track.  See picture attached to this post.   Annie does not have an eye-bolt on top of the pulley like later SMs...I am berthed next door to SV Ripple an SM2k which has the eye-bolt Annie has a stud with a bolt on top.

Following some earlier posts about bolts inside the hull I felt around under the deck and can feel the ends of the T-track bolts and what I think is the same end of the pulley-block bolt.  Not nuts in there only the bolt ends leading me to believe the bolt is threaded on both sides and will back out.  I double nutted the top and tried to break it free to no avail.

Anyone have insight on how to detach this block?

John Clark
SV Annie  SM37
Brunswick GA....till I get this fixed.

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi John,

I think our genoa track set ups are similar but perhaps yours has been modified or repaired here? I haven't taken on this project yet but it's on my list. Looking at mine, it looks like a regular bolt comes down from the top. Did yours have a nut at the top of that stud?

I'll be taking a closer look at mine soon and will let you know what I find.

Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020, 9:28 AM John Clark via Groups.Io <biohead=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Alan Leslie

Hi John,
If yours is like ours, which I'm sure it probably is, the bolt, in our case an eye bolt, passes through the track and is threaded into the steel plate which is under the gunwale.
I broke one trying to undo it and ended up having to drill it out with a cobalt drill and re - threading the hole. I just put a standard bolt in to replace it. I don't know what that eye bolt is for, I've never used it.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Eye bolt is to connect the preventer.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020, 2:34 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi John,
If yours is like ours, which I'm sure it probably is, the bolt, in our case an eye bolt, passes through the track and is threaded into the steel plate which is under the gunwale.
I broke one trying to undo it and ended up having to drill it out with a cobalt drill and re - threading the hole. I just put a standard bolt in to replace it. I don't know what that eye bolt is for, I've never used it.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

John Clark

Thanks Alan and Mike,
    Looks like Annie is slightly different that #23 and #437 in that there was no eye bolt and the stud is threaded on the top, with no bolt head. Maybe previous owner modification, who knows.
 Based on what you guys said, I took a leap of faith that the stud on Annie was also threaded on the bottom and deployed the impact wrench on the triple nutted (nuts locked in place by each other) stud.  It took a few seconds of "impacting" before she started to back out.  After cleaning the threads, the stud screwed into the aluminum track  by smoothly by hand.

FYI for any others tacking this job, the stud is threaded into the aluminium track and bottoms out at the surface of the hull. On Annie there is no penetration below the deck.   It is not threaded or attached to the black anodized block...except by salt and corrosion.  Same salt and corrosion further down probably resisted me turning it by hand.   Will utilize TefGel on the reassembly so that I don't have this fight again.

Now to reassembly and clean up.  The birds and my liberal use of Corrosion X pretreatment have made a mess on the boat.

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Brunswick GA

Alan Leslie

Ah, OK, thanks for that, I'll change it to an eye bolt when I have a go at getting the port one out.
It looked to me that perhaps it's not an eye bolt per se, but an M8 stud with a screw on eye, and maybe that's what the OP has but someone has put nuts on it instead of an eye?
Do you know for sure what type it is?
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437