Going LiFePo

Bernd Spanner

Hi,

since my old bats will die soon I decided to go LiFePo. It will most likely done out of on hand, meaning the Victron main Importer in Turkey.
please advise and let me know the little things to look at and how to avoid one or the other mistakes you might have done.
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cruising

Chris Doucette

My experience---

1) Insurance- many insurance companies will drop you like a hat if you have LiFePo4 ( yes it is ridiculous)
2) Cables and connectivity need to be done correctly- Correct size, cables the SAME length for pathways to the common Bus
3) Entire bank should be MAIN Fused with a Class- T Fuse ( no this has not caused problems with my bow thruster)
4)  Batteries - should be Brand made with integrated or External BMS - ideally with cabilbilties to alert you when  you are close to BMS shutoff limits.  Ensure they are the same voltage starting out.
5) Alternator will need an external regulator that can support LiPO settings-
6) Protect Alternator from BMS disconnect -  ie Sterling Power 12V Alternator Protection Device
7) All Chargers (shore and or solar) need to support LiPo charging profiles
8) make sure you have a good Battery Monitoring Device with a Smart Shunt.

Hope this helps!!!

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 11:26 AM Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:
Hi,

since my old bats will die soon I decided to go LiFePo. It will most likely done out of on hand, meaning the Victron main Importer in Turkey.
please advise and let me know the little things to look at and how to avoid one or the other mistakes you might have done.
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cruising

Andreas Stuben

Chris is correct with his list.  The process can be started ahead of time, meaning you can convert your alternator to support LifePo4 before you install the batteries.   I also like to suggest to get the needed cables and software to for example program your solar charge controller.

I have asked our insurance company ahead of time about lithium.  I was told that the batteries and BMS must be CE certified.  Your company may has other requirements so reach out to them to find out.

Our batteries are on order and only our Wind generator still needs to be reviewed.
--
Andreas SM078 Maya
Currently Taha'a French Polynesia