Topics

Ground strap in bilge

Alan Leslie

The fact that it is only milliamps makes the conductivity very important. Even a slightly bad connection at the keel bolt will make the keel rust. Best to use 3mm flat copper bar to make the best conductor for the bonding system.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Dean Gillies <dean@...>

Alan, I believe you have hit the nail on the head. It’s all about the resistance at the joint to the bolt. A wide flat strap provides the maximum surface contact area between the strap and the bolt. That is the most effective way to minimise the resistance at the joint. A thicker flat strap (than the original) will provide similar resistance (when properly installed) and better longevity.

I’m not looking forward to this job when my time comes, sounds really awkward!

Dean SY Stella A54-154

James Alton

Bill,

  I also considered using wire for the bilge bonding but I liked the idea of the heavier copper bar that you suggested and went that route.  I think that wire or a thin strap is pretty easy to damage over time with bilge cleanings.  I covered  my new copper with very heavy glue coated shrink wrap which hopefully will make it last even longer and no sharp edges. The stiffness of the thicker bar also made it easy for me to place the end of the bar on the keel bolt and to hold orientation as the keel bolt was tightened.

James
SV Sueno
Preveza, Greece

Sent from Samsung tablet.