Group order - Arch from Emek Marin

Philippe Chatton

Hello everyone,
I intend to install an arch on my SM. I checked for options and it appears that the arch made by Emek Marin in Turkey is a good choice, strong and reliable.  I recall that ca. 50 SM's have already been equiped with this arch.
Should some of you be interested, a group order could be considered.
Do not hesitate to contact me at Chattonp960@...
Kind regards
Philippe
SM2k Chameleon

Le mer. 29 juin 2022 à 03:59, Chris Paul via groups.io <chris__paul=yahoo.com@groups.io> a écrit :
Thanks to Ian, Bill R, Bill K and Craig for all of your wonderful information.

Regards, Chris Paul
SV Glazig
SM 352
Bay of Islands NZ

On Monday, 27 June 2022, 08:51:44 pm NZST, Chris paul <chris__paul@...> wrote:

Hi,
Please see attached word document.
This one seems really odd to me.
Maybe, this is the way it's done!
Hopefully, someone can explain what is going on and point me towards a solution.

Regards, Chris Paul
SV Glazig
SM 352
Bay of Islands NZ

Davi Rozgonyi

I have one of those arches.... it's a piece of art. Beautifully done, I haven't seen an arch on any boat as sexy or functional as these SM arches, the curves and lines go perfectly, and it's much stiffer than some knockoffs we've seen made over the years. HOWEVER, our arch (made 7 years ago I think) originally held 3 150W panels. Nowadays, you can get slightly bigger panels and really up the solar back there. We upgraded to 2 x 400 W Sharp panels, but it messed a little with the look of it (now the panels sit on top of the tubes, not dropped down in between them). If I did it again I'd try to make the top of the arch some kind of flatter surface to accommodate possible changes in your panels/sizes as tech improves. But apart from that, it's brilliant.

Davi,

The original Emek arch (I had the very first one designed and made for SM387), had a removable stainless steel solar panel tray on the top of the tubes. I designed it this way to be able to easily change the tray when/if I changed the solar panels.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 8:20 AM Davi Rozgonyi <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote:
I have one of those arches.... it's a piece of art. Beautifully done, I haven't seen an arch on any boat as sexy or functional as these SM arches, the curves and lines go perfectly, and it's much stiffer than some knockoffs we've seen made over the years. HOWEVER, our arch (made 7 years ago I think) originally held 3 150W panels. Nowadays, you can get slightly bigger panels and really up the solar back there. We upgraded to 2 x 400 W Sharp panels, but it messed a little with the look of it (now the panels sit on top of the tubes, not dropped down in between them). If I did it again I'd try to make the top of the arch some kind of flatter surface to accommodate possible changes in your panels/sizes as tech improves. But apart from that, it's brilliant.

Peter Tiner

Edited

Hi fellow Amelians

<<<<<<<<<<<<<CONTENT REMOVED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All the best

\Peter @ SY Maiken A54

Peter,

I am sorry you had the problems you had. I do not want to speculate on the cause.

You have violated one of our rules which is plainly posted on the homepage. It reads:
e encourage postings that will genuinely help Amel owners source needed parts and services. We encourage you to support the Amel brand and be respectful to the brand in your postings.
  1. Please do not post anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory regarding Amel, any Member, or Sponsor.
  2. Please refrain from political issues and rude, or inappropriate language.
  3. Please refrain from criticism of persons or businesses in which you may have experienced unsatisfactory results, because it would be one-sided, without the ability of the other side to respond.
  4. Please register with your given names and please sign postings with your given name. If you currently own an Amel include the boat name, Amel model, and hull number.
There are plenty of other websites that deal with online complaints.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 9:14 AM Peter Tiner <peter.tiner@...> wrote:
Hi fellow Amelians

To prevent you from ending up in the same mess we did, i would like to give you a warning regarding Emek.
I have their arch installed since about two years and yes the arch and brackets is great but...

Problem we had was making business with these guys - they want payment in advance and then they dont stick to whats agreed.
In our case we ordered after an offer with a complete set, with installation brackets, arch, 3 x Victron Solar panels and a S300 Simson davits.

-The arch and brackets was delivered 2 months later without the rest of the order, agreed was to get everything on one pallet in January. Mind you, i then had people standing waiting for equipment to be installed.
-The Davits delivered was an unbranded homemade thing with no endstops (as standard on Simson S300) and the electrics was picked from somewhere else. That was delivered in August 2020!!!
-The Solarpanels never came!!! We had to buy locally to get them before taking off.

So a warning; dont pay these guys until you seen what you get

Think i dont have to mention, looking back, this was really a nightmare of frustration.

All the best

\Peter @ SY Maiken A54

Alan Leslie

I agree Davi......we have 3 x 200W panels and when ours was made Emek asked us for the dimensions of the panels and made the tray to fit.
Our arch dates back to 2014 and was the first one exported as a knocked down kit. I have been very happy with it.

Only two other points worth mentioning
1. The structure is rather heavy and weighs the boat down aft
2. As it comes (unless Emek have added them) there are no braces to hold the arch from flexing sideways.
Its a lot of structure there and it definitely needs cross braces

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Michael Winand

I have been through the process .
I had a custom arch davit built locally in Australia.
The shipping costs and import charges made it too costly.
I really took my time finding the fabricator that I was confident in.
Your arch from emek will still have to be fitted together ( as I was informed)
The important thing is that it's highly polished, or electro polished,  welds passivated.
Michael Nebo sm251

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022, 12:01 pm Alan Leslie, <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
I agree Davi......we have 3 x 200W panels and when ours was made Emek asked us for the dimensions of the panels and made the tray to fit.
Our arch dates back to 2014 and was the first one exported as a knocked down kit. I have been very happy with it.

Only two other points worth mentioning
1. The structure is rather heavy and weighs the boat down aft
2. As it comes (unless Emek have added them) there are no braces to hold the arch from flexing sideways.
Its a lot of structure there and it definitely needs cross braces

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Davi Rozgonyi

Well, Bill, I'm an idiot! I know what I'm doing this winter :) So then the arch is perfect. For the other poster, I'm not sure if mine are standard or installed after, but we do have a pair of cross braces you can install for presumably very long passages to stiffen it up even further. But for regular use, they are not at all necessary. After all the wobbly spindly out-of-place angular arches I've seen, I wouldn't even consider another arch if I had to replace this one, I'd be on the phone ordering the same one again.

Nick Newington

I had an arch made for me in Grenada by Nick at Spice Island.

I showed him the Emek design, we actually looked at one together on a SM. We shook it and it flexed a lot, so we discussed how to rectify that and the answer was to build a twin wall, a bit like foam sandwich GRP panels are much stiffer that a single skin.
So that is what we did, it does not flex, I can climb all over it. Note forward attachment that goes tight over the bulwark and is bolted through the steel within the toe rail. For the aft pad, there is a big backing plate but in addition I beefed up the GRP of the single skin transom and glassed it to the hull….
image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpeg
Nick
S/V Amelia
AML54-019 Leros GR