Hardtop for Amel 54

Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila

Here is our hard top on S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232.

It has been there since 2010 and during 2020 we hade it renovated. On top we have 2 solar panels 364 W each. (And an orher three on the arch)

Hälsningar
Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila
SM 232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

25/01/2021 kl. 17:36 skrev VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...>:

Congratulations! I love it!
Do you, or anyone, know if the solution is feasible for a Super Maramu 2000? Any idea about the cost?
It's a wonderful improvement, very well thought out.
Thanks for sharing.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Halsinger;

Nice looking hard top. Do you have more pictures and/or videos that show more detail?

Where did you have this top fabricated?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Here is our hard top on S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232.

It has been there since 2010 and during 2020 we hade it renovated. On top we have 2 solar panels 364 W each. (And an orher three on the arch)

Hälsningar

Ann-Sofie

S/Y Lady Annila

SM 232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

25/01/2021 kl. 17:36 skrev VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...>:

Congratulations! I love it!

Do you, or anyone, know if the solution is feasible for a Super Maramu 2000? Any idea about the cost?

It's a wonderful improvement, very well thought out.

Thanks for sharing.

Victor

SM314 Alendoy

Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila

Hi Mohammed
I have got some requests for more pictures. I will put a .pdf together showing it. Just give me a day or two.

The original roof is made by a friend if us and is a sandwich construction with divinycell inbetween the GRP.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila
SM 232, 1998
Present in Algarve, Portugal

Skickat från min iPhone

25/01/2021 kl. 19:17 skrev Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>:

Hello Halsinger;

Nice looking hard top. Do you have more pictures and/or videos that show more detail?

Where did you have this top fabricated?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Here is our hard top on S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232.

It has been there since 2010 and during 2020 we hade it renovated. On top we have 2 solar panels 364 W each. (And an orher three on the arch)

<image001.jpg>

Hälsningar

Ann-Sofie

S/Y Lady Annila

SM 232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

25/01/2021 kl. 17:36 skrev VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...>:

Congratulations! I love it!

Do you, or anyone, know if the solution is feasible for a Super Maramu 2000? Any idea about the cost?

It's a wonderful improvement, very well thought out.

Thanks for sharing.

Victor

SM314 Alendoy

VICTOR MOLERO

Thank you Ann Sophie.
I will appreciate more pictures, if you have them available and willing to share.
Thanks.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Ann-Sofie;

That’s great, thank you.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Here is our hard top on S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232.

It has been there since 2010 and during 2020 we hade it renovated. On top we have 2 solar panels 364 W each. (And an orher three on the arch)

<image001.jpg>

Hälsningar

Ann-Sofie

S/Y Lady Annila

SM 232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

25/01/2021 kl. 17:36 skrev VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...>:

Congratulations! I love it!

Do you, or anyone, know if the solution is feasible for a Super Maramu 2000? Any idea about the cost?

It's a wonderful improvement, very well thought out.

Thanks for sharing.

Victor

SM314 Alendoy

Scott SV Tengah

Stefan,

That design is the best I've seen. How long did it take you to finish it? And total cost? Have you ever considered packaging and selling it? I'm sure more than one 54 owner would be keen to buy it.

A few questions:

1) Any idea how many amp hours or kWh per day your 680w of Sunpower panels produce?
2) Do you get any mold on the top of the hardtop? Just thinking if the water doesn't drain perfectly, it could result in some mold buildup. But I am sure that's solvable pretty easily if it does happen.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Alain Durante

Scott,

I made a cockpit cover 2 years ago stainless + plexiglass + canvas with solar panels on top. I have 1.85 under the roof.

Very convenient with lights on top and underneath. Can sail in winter and getting the heat from the inside.

Cordialement,

Alain

2006 A54 #21

That design is the best I've seen. How long did it take you to finish it? And total cost? Have you ever considered packaging and selling it? I'm sure more than one 54 owner would be keen to buy it.

A few questions:

1) Any idea how many amp hours or kWh per day your 680w of Sunpower panels produce?
2) Do you get any mold on the top of the hardtop? Just thinking if the water doesn't drain perfectly, it could result in some mold buildup. But I am sure that's solvable pretty easily if it does happen.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Stefan Schaufert

Hello Scott,

thanks for the flowers.

It took us (my poor wife and me) about 2.5 weeks to finish the surfaces of both roof sections. Now I highly recommend giving this to a professional handyman. It becomes much more economical and the result is more perfect.
For the installation of the plexiglass parts, seals, solar etc. we needed about 1 week.
All full time, so don't ask about our own labor costs ;-).

All external services / work / materials cost around 6 500 EUR - provided you already have the winter enclosure.

"Packing and selling" (I assume you mean "Make it in a serie") does not seem to be an option, or at least very difficult, as the cockpit dimensions of the respective boat have to be taken into account (e.g. for the position of the plywood inserts for connection on the bimini frame).

Now to your questions ;-):
1) Depending on the shadows of the masts and main boom (shrouds don't seem to be a problem) I've seen (without shading) up to 700W in Martinique in May 2020 and now up to 580W in the Bahamas. With shading, of course, significantly less.
2) No mold on the hardtop, but (of course some) dirt under the panels - despite spacers (to get air under the flexible panels and to flush rainwater).

Stefan
A54 # 119 Lady Charlyette, currently Bahamas

Scott SV Tengah

Thanks Stefan. Do you have the ability to record the total solar amp-hours or kilowatt-hours per day? Your peak output is encouraging but I am wondering how much power it produces in total through the course of a day, which would take into account the shading. Even better would be an average over a month or so.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 3:14 PM Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Scott,

I'm with you. The peak is not important, only interesting. I can only show you the average of the last 30 days.
I think it's appr. 40-45 kWh one month.
The panels (600W) over the Davids perform better (about 60 kWh), but the cockpit panels are a very good addition to keep the generator off for days.
Batteries are „only“ AGM - thus for charging is a lot potential left.

Stefan
A54 # 119 Lady Charlyette, currently Bahamas

Scott SV Tengah

Stefan,

This is exactly the data I was looking for - thank you.

So my math shows:

- Davit mounted (rigid?) panels produce about 33% more than surface mounted flexible panels. Makes sense since the hardtop mounted ones get hotter and/or are shaded more often.
- Comparing just davit mounted panels to davit mounted panels, lithium seems to result in the MPPT being able to put out almost twice the monthly cumulative power per watt of installed solar. That's pretty consistent with theory and what I saw when I compared my Victron output to another A54 who has a similar amount of installed solar in a similar location, with our only differences being lithium vs. agm.

I am guessing that you're wiring the hardtop mounted panels in serial. If you're bored and have nothing else to fix (hehe), I'd be curious what would happen to monthly solar output if you wired the flexible panels in parallel, which is theoretically more shade tolerant. That could make a big difference since your mizzen mast / main boom is probably shading one side or the other almost all day. Of course, you probably have to do a serial-parallel connection since I recall the flexible panels are usually 12v?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Stephan,

I believe that there are many qualities of flexible panels with a wide range of current production per measure of area. Maybe I missed it, but did you specify which flexible panels you have?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 12:07 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill,

the panels are 4 x SUNPOWER SPR-E-FLEX-170, 12V each.
I am happy with them.

Scott,

I tried both possibilities before I made the final wiring.  Amazingly (but maybe I should have waited significantly longer than 4 hours) the series connection (all panels) brought a significantly higher yield (amperes for charging). The serial-parallel connection has to be better theoretically, but was not.
I do not know why this is not like usual.

At least you do not need any more panels in this life ;-) on Tengah.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 # 119 Lady Charlyette, currently Bahamas

Scott SV Tengah

Stefan,

Those panels are what I was looking at, but they are significantly more expensive than the 110w ones! Around 3x the cost, if I remember right.

Anyways, I am no electrical engineer but I thought that the series connection across all 4 of your panels would definitely produce more output in perfect conditions due to the higher voltage. But theoretically parallel (or serial-parallel in the case of your 12v panels) should be more shade tolerant and have a smaller reduction in power output when one panel is shaded. Only way to test it is to compare for a longer period than a few hours - say a month :) Anyways, I'm very jealous of your hardtop and the panels on top of it.

We thought we had enough power but we keep finding more ways to use the power. :) We have used the scuba compressor a lot over the last few months so it'd be great if we could add more solar. If I do that, I'm sure I'll find another use for the amps-hours!