Topics

Headroom

Oliver Biederbeck

Hi Amel owners,

I'm in the early phase of buying a boat on which my wife and I will spend up to 5 years, maybe more. Due to my body height of 2,02 metres (6"8), I have some special requirements towards boat size. Minimum headroom is 2m The Maramu, Super Maramu and the Amel 54 are on our radar because of their overall bluewater qualities but we never had the chance getting onboard of one of the older models. To be shortlisted, a boat must have at least 2 metres of headroom in the galley and in the salon.

So I would like to ask you as proud owners: What is the actual headroom
  • in the galley,
  • the salon,
  • the aft cabin and
  • in the cockpit under the boom?
Would be great to get some figures for my further evaluation. And please, save your time and avoid sentences like "I'm 1,90m and don't have a problem". Believe, me, being >2m is a complete different story - even at home ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Oliver

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey Oliver! Good call on looking at Amels, for hundreds of reasons. Headroom is defo one of them... I just measured for ya, our SM has 208 cm in the galley and saloon, and 200 cm in the head and entrance to the forecabin. The corridor to the aft cabin of course is gonna make ya stoop, I do, and I'm "only" 6'1. But you won't have an issue in the main part of the boat.
Cheers!
Davi
SM56
Wake

Doug Smith

Oliver,

I am 6’6”, so I guess that equals about 1,95m.  And I was equally concerned about this.  The areas you mention are not a concern.  The boom is not really a factor in the cockpit on the 54.  The salon, galley and aft cabin are plentiful in the headroom.  The areas I was most concerned with as well were the aft bed, and shower space.  On my 54, I can stand in the shower and take a shower without crouching, and I can almost lay fully stretched out on the aft berth.  Similar sizing to most hotel beds, that are considered a queen or full size.

Additionally, the area I was most impressed by was the two starboard side chairs in the main settee area of the cabin.  I haven’t found a more comfortable spot to relax on the inside of the boat.  The chairs fit a longer frame and there are support areas to place your legs both underway and bouncing around on passage, as well as when at anchorage.

The engine room has abundant room even for guys our height, but the area where the watermaker and inverters are, might need a smaller frame to get back and work on those areas.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Currently Gibraltar, Queensway Quay Marina

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Oliver Biederbeck <oliver.biederbeck@...>
Date: Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 10:29 AM
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Headroom

[...]

Edited

Oooo, Doug reminded me of something (you might like this too, doug).... Our SM aft cabin was modified brilliantly into a wall-to-wall bed. It has some custom foam inserts around the four sides about 12 inches deep (perfect for throwing your book or reading light or bottle of water), and the bed itself uses two stock standard mattresses of any sort you like, bringing it to king size. With the same-height foam inserts, a 6'6 person could easily sleep stretched out. In our case, there are three of us back there, with loads of room to spare. I'll see if I can put up a pic...

https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/photo/244313/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Oliver,

the the actual headroom on our boat (AMEL 54):

  • in the galley - 2,00 to 2,05m
  • the salon - appr. 2,05m in the passage way (16cm step up left and right - the chairs, table etc.)
  • the aft cabin - appr. 1,94m in front of the bed
  • in the cockpit under the boom - appr. 2,06m
I hope this helps.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 N°119 Lady Charlyette, currently trapped in Guadeloupe

eric freedman

Hi Oliver,

Where are you located?

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Oliver

At 6Ft 4, I am 1.94m not as tall as you, but even so, still found all Amel bunks just marginally too short (at 2.0m in length each) for good night sleep. Our solution was to convert the rear cabin bed to turn sideways (as noted by another member in this thread) which provides a wonderful HUGE Super King size bed, just as comfortable as our King bed at home! We had a custom made innerspring mattress & Latex top made for that bed which was great, and also provided the benefit of being able to sleep in either direction depending on what tack you were sailing. Although you are left a downside of less cabin floor space, we found this a small price to pay, and still rate this is one of the most necessary adjustments we made on Island Pearl II. The inner sprung mattress was zipped into 3 sections to still provide easy access to the rudder stock under in an emergency.

Also, another suggestion for you is regarding the walkthrough area "hot-bed" above the battery compartment. Here we cut a section out of the end timber panel (at bed top height) between the bunk and the adjoining clothing cupboard and placed a removable cushion at bed height in the lower section of the cupboard, and this cavity was nicely finished off with matching timber edging so it looked like a factory alteration, and nobody ever noticed it. This other small necessary alteration to the Amel made it possible for me to sleep on the hotbed too during ocean crossing passages, with my feet through into the wardrobe, which provided peace of mind when crossing oceans alone with my wife as she could easily alert and communicate with me through the little window to the cockpit.

With these two changes, as well as memory foam toppers custom fitted to all bunks, the Amel SM becomes the perfect "tall persons'" long term ocean cruising yacht!

Best regards

Colin Streeter
previous "Island Pearl II" owner #332
Brisbane, Australia

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 9:02 AM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Oliver,

Where are you located?

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Oliver Biederbeck

Hi Davi, Doug, Stefan, Eric, Colin,

you are awesome! Thanks a lot for your effort and quick and helpful answers. I should definitely add "community support" to my shortlisting criteria :-) But even without it, you helped ranking up the Amels for me.

@Davi, Stefan: Thanks for taking measures!
@Doug: Very helpful insights! And yes, the corridor and the engine room might need some special "Tall Men Yoga Skills". Have worked on it for decades now.
@Davi, Colin: Great tweaks for the aft cabin bed and the "hot-bed" extension!
@Eric: I'm located in Cologne, Germany. My personal home port is Emden at the North Sea. Main sailing regions are the Dutch North Sea and the Mediterranean - Greece Aegean Sea is planned for this summer (yes, I'm a charter sailor - lucky friend of a charter company owner ;-)

Thank you so much again. Hope that Corona does not cause too much trouble to you, especially if you are trapped at remote places. Stay healthy and enjoy life on your Amels!

Fair winds
Oliver

Hajo Hille

Hi Oliver,

Since 10 years I´m an owner of an AMEL Supermaramu and live in Wiesbaden.
If you have any questions you can contact me per e-mail: hajo.hille@...

Kind regards

Hajo
SM 150

Gesendet: Montag, 06. April 2020 um 20:24 Uhr
Von: "Oliver Biederbeck" <oliver.biederbeck@...>
An: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Headroom
[...]

Hey Oliver, no sweat. It's a bit more than a tweak, but you'll never get a bed as nice in any other boat, esp for a very tall person. If you do end up getting an Amel, I'll tear the cabin down and take pics and measures of everything if you need them.

Another 'tweak' worth doing IMHO is converting the saloon table to a drop down bed on pneumatic legs. It breaks the heart to take out that beautiful table leg/wine holder, but if you do, you gain another king size bed to watch movies on (we have a 40 inch TV mounted opposite) or, as I like to do on passage, flop out on instead of the corridor bunk, a bed which would also be more than perfect for someone of your height. So nice we never raise it anymore (we take most meals in the cockpit anyway), and you don't even lose an inch of bilge space underneath. That and the bed are the best two mods for us for sure....