From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Monday, 24 February 2020 at 7:49 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Headsets #solution

Hi Amelians,
I want to replace some worn-out headsets we've used for anchoring and masthead work.  They were about $80 US 5 years ago and have been less than ideal since they were new, with static and cheap construction.  I've been looking online and the ones most cited on cruisers  forums are the Sena SPH10 or Sena Extreme Bluetooth sets.  They get great reviews for audio quality, but very poor reviews for warranty/after-market service/and user friendliness for getting them to connect. At $150 per headset, I'm reluctant to buy something that may not be what is advertised to be.

Does anyone have another  brand to recommend?  Experience with the Sena products?

Thanks for any help.
Kent and Iris
Kristy
SM243

Matt Salatino

We’ve used a couple of brands.
Currently using the Sena Expands...a bit more robust, as the microphone boom is much shorter and doesn’t get in the way as much.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 24, 2020, at 3:56 PM, David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:

Greetings all,

PERIGEE has used 2x Sena SPH10 for 3 years docking/anchoring and mast-work, all OK with the exception that the microphone occasionally disconnects, which CorrosionX sorts out.  We have used in ‘all weathers’, with no adverse effects noticeable thus far, but did take the precaution at 2-1/2 years to get another two headsets, for 3-crew work, and/or to provide redundancy in the eventual event that one (or more) units will fail in service (not just due to exposure to the elements, but batteries seem to be a point-of-failure in tropical environments; having needed to source two new hand-held VHFs recently highlighting this vulnerability in practical terms).

We consider the cost minor in the scheme of things, in order to have reliable and calm communications between helm and deck/masthead-crew.

We have not had any connection problems, although multi-headset set-ups (we have had up to four at once) does require a review of the user’s manual to make sure it works ‘as advertised’.  We recommend the Sena SPH10, and have not seen a viable alternative, but remain interested if someone does find one.

David
Perigee, SM#396
Tahuata, French Polynesia

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...>
Date: Monday, 24 February 2020 at 7:49 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hi Amelians,
I want to replace some worn-out headsets we've used for anchoring and masthead work.  They were about $80 US 5 years ago and have been less than ideal since they were new, with static and cheap construction.  I've been looking online and the ones most cited on cruisers  forums are the Sena SPH10 or Sena Extreme Bluetooth sets.  They get great reviews for audio quality, but very poor reviews for warranty/after-market service/and user friendliness for getting them to connect. At $150 per headset, I'm reluctant to buy something that may not be what is advertised to be.

Does anyone have another  brand to recommend?  Experience with the Sena products?

Thanks for any help.
Kent and Iris
Kristy
SM243

karkauai

Thank you Matt and David.  Your replies indicate the Sena is the best option out there but not without issues.  There are a number of other headsets used by motorcycle riders and police departments, but they require a helmet or separate radio and push-to-talk, and don't really suit our needs.  Too bad they don't have a good reputation for after-market service at that price.
I know a guy who might be in a position to build just what we need....

Kent

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...>
Date: Monday, 24 February 2020 at 7:49 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hi Amelians,
I want to replace some worn-out headsets we've used for anchoring and masthead work.  They were about $80 US 5 years ago and have been less than ideal since they were new, with static and cheap construction.  I've been looking online and the ones most cited on cruisers  forums are the Sena SPH10 or Sena Extreme Bluetooth sets.  They get great reviews for audio quality, but very poor reviews for warranty/after-market service/and user friendliness for getting them to connect. At $150 per headset, I'm reluctant to buy something that may not be what is advertised to be.

Does anyone have another  brand to recommend?  Experience with the Sena products?

Thanks for any help.
Kent and Iris
Kristy
SM243

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey there, I don't use a headset, but did for a decade while motorbiking. Sena never let me down. I used the SMH10s for nonstop music and talking and phone calls for most of that decade, the same unit. If I went for a headset, I would go sena just on that.

karkauai

Thanks Davi,
+1 for Sena!

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Feb 25, 2020, at 3:04 AM, Davi Rozgonyi <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote:

Hey there, I don't use a headset, but did for a decade while motorbiking. Sena never let me down. I used the SMH10s for nonstop music and talking and phone calls for most of that decade, the same unit. If I went for a headset, I would go sena just on that.

Joerg Esdorn

I have had the Eartec headsets for one season and they work great - no issues.  A friend of mine has had them for 3 years - again, no issues.  The only draw back is that you have to remove the batteries every time you put them away, but no big deal.  https://www.amazon.com/Eartec-UltraLITE-Wireless-Microphone-Headsets/dp/B01LOKU8KQ/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1BFQFWXIPGZR3&keywords=hands+free+communication+wireless+headset&qid=1552052951&s=gateway&sprefix=hands+free+communications+headsets%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-16#customerReviews

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

karkauai

Thanks, Joerg, another viable option.
I see they are not waterproof.  I guess that isn't a problem?  More expensive than the two Sena headsets that are wAter resistant.
Kent

On Feb 25, 2020 9:44 AM, "Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io" <jhe1313@...> wrote:
I have had the Eartec headsets for one season and they work great - no issues.  A friend of mine has had them for 3 years - again, no issues.  The only draw back is that you have to remove the batteries every time you put them away, but no big deal.  https://www.amazon.com/Eartec-UltraLITE-Wireless-Microphone-Headsets/dp/B01LOKU8KQ/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1BFQFWXIPGZR3&keywords=hands+free+communication+wireless+headset&qid=1552052951&s=gateway&sprefix=hands+free+communications+headsets%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-16#customerReviews

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Joerg Esdorn

Kent, it sounds like the Sena is a better option then.  I never looked at Sena when I bought my Eartec since I had experience with them before and my friend had used them for over a year without a problem.  Cheers. Joerg

joerg esdorn
A55 # 53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Matt Salatino

We started out with Eartecs. They work at a different frequency, and actually found the sound quality and range a bit better than Sena. But ours were older, and had a belt pack connected to the headphones. A bit more cumbersome, and Cindy dropped one overboard when it fell off her skimpy swim suit..... All around, we like the Sena’s better. The Sena Expand costs a bit less, and the boom mic is shorter, making it a bit less prone to knocking into things. Works great on the bow, up the mast, during docking, and scouting an anchor spot in the dinghy (close by).

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 26, 2020, at 10:58 AM, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Kent, it sounds like the Sena is a better option then.  I never looked at Sena when I bought my Eartec since I had experience with them before and my friend had used them for over a year without a problem.  Cheers. Joerg

joerg esdorn
A55 # 53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Teun BAAS

Hi Kent,

I have 4 SENA units on board since 1 year; only used 2 or 3 of them. They work fine – no issues necessitating warranty claim.

Sure beats yelling from cockpit to stern or bow.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

February 26, 2020 16:22:30

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...>
Date: Monday, 24 February 2020 at 7:49 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hi Amelians,
I want to replace some worn-out headsets we've used for anchoring and masthead work.  They were about $80 US 5 years ago and have been less than ideal since they were new, with static and cheap construction.  I've been looking online and the ones most cited on cruisers  forums are the Sena SPH10 or Sena Extreme Bluetooth sets.  They get great reviews for audio quality, but very poor reviews for warranty/after-market service/and user friendliness for getting them to connect. At $150 per headset, I'm reluctant to buy something that may not be what is advertised to be.

Does anyone have another  brand to recommend?  Experience with the Sena products?

Thanks for any help.
Kent and Iris
Kristy
SM243

INUS - BUSCH

I have a pair of ceecoach since 3 years and they work perfect for me.

Maybe you have a look

https://www.peiker-cee.de/en

Fair winds

Dieter