Heater

Paul Osterberg

Hello!
We plan a trip to Nordkap the coming summer, so some sort of heater would be necessary.  To install a typ Webasto water born heater would be rather expensive and a not so straight forward installation, without compromising the water tight bulkheads. A too big job and investment for only one season. So looking to alternative solutions.
Have anyone replaced the old AC unit with a new one that also work as a heat pump and provide heat?
what was your experience, especially with the heating? Any brand to be recommended.
 Our AC units looks a bit corroded and guess approaching the end of it's life span, so even if the cost is about the same it might make more sense long term.
Any general view how long the original AC units lasts?
Any other suggestion on a source for heating?
Paul on SY Kerpa Amel SM#259

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Paul

Maybe you think abaut a infrarothheater

der the carpets in the drawing room and in the cabins
24 V
or maybe in 230 v's, maybe in the area of a card table or a kitchen or a ceiling in the drawing room
The infrared zoning is more effective than air heating on air conditioning, and you need electricity for both

Greetings
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

michael winand

Hi Paul,
We spent a few seasons in southern Tasmania. Around 43deg south.
We have the amel installed diesel heater.
Running the heater in the morning  for a few hours then again in the evening. Overnight temperature 2 to 6 C.
We managed in these conditions.

The best thing we have Running is a large dehumidifier this makes the air much dryer and gives a warning effect. Otherwise you may have condensation on the inside surface areas.
Enjoy your cruise
Michael  Nebo  sm251

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 12:29 am, Paul Osterberg
<osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Hello!
We plan a trip to Nordkap the coming summer, so some sort of heater would be necessary.  To install a typ Webasto water born heater would be rather expensive and a not so straight forward installation, without compromising the water tight bulkheads. A too big job and investment for only one season. So looking to alternative solutions.
Have anyone replaced the old AC unit with a new one that also work as a heat pump and provide heat?
what was your experience, especially with the heating? Any brand to be recommended.
 Our AC units looks a bit corroded and guess approaching the end of it's life span, so even if the cost is about the same it might make more sense long term.
Any general view how long the original AC units lasts?
Any other suggestion on a source for heating?
Paul on SY Kerpa Amel SM#259

Craig Briggs

Paul,
Can't give you specifics for a retrofit, but it just takes a reversing valve on your A/C to make heat (maybe some control stuff, too) - about a $150 option when first installed. Maybe reasonable as a retrofit.
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Matt Salatino

True, and doable, but be careful. Reversing valves are very sensitive to the heat of soldering/brazing. If done by someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing, the reversing valve will be ruined.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt Salatino s/y Speed of Life, A50#27

On Jan 7, 2021, at 10:09 PM, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Paul,
Can't give you specifics for a retrofit, but it just takes a reversing valve on your A/C to make heat (maybe some control stuff, too) - about a $150 option when first installed. Maybe reasonable as a retrofit.
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

rossirossix4

We have German Infranomic infrared mirrors in both of our heads (replacing the mirrors over the sink) and they are outstanding.  Instant heat, no moving parts, won't wear out, and large high quality mirror.  I am away from KAIMI but I think they were 700 watt.  When we wintered in Rome (non-metered electricity) we had them on full-time whenever we were in the boat.  https://www.infranomic.de/infrarot-heizung/frame-line/
Bob, KAIMI SM429

Paul Osterberg

Thank you all for your feed back, not sure how I will solve the issue yet,
Paul

Ian Park

Paul,
We've found our ebespacher quite effective in cold conditions. But what we found really useful in Scotland and the Baltic was an electric blanket. They don't use many amps, but make a significant difference climbing into bed at night or coming off watch!
Ian
Ocean Hobo SN9&

Paul Osterberg

Ian, Thanks for that, will try that
Paul

Karen Smith

Paul,

Our boat came to us equipped with reverse cycle air conditioning units.  They work well keeping the boat comfortable down to about 0C. Something to be aware of with this kind of unit, it that it does not work when the water temperatures drop below about 5C.  They are quite energy efficient, actually using a bit less power than they do when cooling.  They each deliver about 2,000 Watts of heat while using a bit less than 900 Watts of electricity.

Amel also equipped our boat with resistance heaters, one in each cabin.  They draw a lot of power, if they were all running about 20 Amps, more than the shore power connection could support.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
The boat is in Charleston, we are finishing up a delivery job in Jolly Harbor, Antigua