From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Wells
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2019 7:09 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Battery nightmare

Very similar experience in the BVIs about four years ago.  Two of the 8 batteries boiled out.
Luckily we were docked and I got them ashore quickly but after 6 hours they were still hot and bubbly, even completely disconnected.
The fault is usually internal with the battery and not necessarily a charging issue.

We ran just fine on the remaining six (I believe you could live on 4 conservatively) until I could find a compatible replacement pair (very expensive min the BVIs) and then, a couple of.months later replaced the other 6.

Since I couldn't find exact matches for the first two replacements it seemed would that they always took way more water to replenish and ran a little warmer than the other 6. I know you're not supposed to mix / mis-match but it's what we could  do at the time.
Replaced all eight less.than two years later, surely because of the mis-match but also because I knew that this was temporary.
Now have 8 Trojan 30xhs and couldn't be happier.
I also installed a two probe Taylor temperature alarm in hopes of getting a heads-up if anything like that happens again.

I'm pretty fastidious about checking and adding distilled water on the first day of every month now :)

Best!

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Block island, USA

Scott SV Tengah

Eric,

I'll be in the Chesapeake until around late October. I'm planning on seeing the A50 at the Annapolis show. Any plans to head to the show or the Caribbean after?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Gary Wells

Hi Eric!!

Just a quick pass through this week.  Looking to beat the weather and get to Shelburne, NS in the next couple of days.

We ~will~ be back in just a few weeks.  Want to explore Cape Cod, then yes .. Newport, Block Island and then  the river and visit LI and the big Apple.

Will definitely try to connect!!

Gary W.
SM SV209,  Adagio
Mattapoisett Bay .. waiting on the Canal :)

eric freedman

Hi Scott,

I believe the Amel 50 will be coming back to my home town on long island in a few weeks.

I will definitely be heading to the Caribbean in the fall. I hope to leave about November 10th.

I don’t know where I will be heading. One thought is to go to ST Maarten and work my way to Colombia and then back to NY from Colombia

In June..

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I'll be in the Chesapeake until around late October. I'm planning on seeing the A50 at the Annapolis show. Any plans to head to the show or the Caribbean after?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah