Hint for automatically saving your tag line information on these forums #Wiki

Brent Cameron

I've noticed over the years that a lot of people forget to post their boat name, model and location after their posts and this generally results in someone else asking for the same information in order to be able to help solve their issue.  This forum has a good feature in that you can save your 'tag line' information so that it automatically appends it to the end of every post no matter if you forget to append it or not.    To do this, you need to be on the web version of the forum (if you get these notices by email, simply click on one of the links (e.g. View/Reply online)), and then select your name in the top right corner, and then select "Account" from the drop down, and then "Identity" over on the panel to the left.  From there you will see all of your default tag lines for each of the Groups.IO forums that you subscribe to (e.g. AmelYachtOwners/Main, AmelYachtOwners/BoatsForSale, etc) and you can "Edit" each one of them to suit.    Best of all, it seems to go back in time and fix up all of your previous posts (without sending new emails to all of the subscribing members).  Hope this helps.
--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Dean Gillies

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 02:32 AM, Brent Cameron wrote:
 From there you will see all of your default tag lines for each of the Groups.IO forums
Hi Brent, I liked your suggestion, but it doesn't work for me.  I don't see any "tag lines" to edit on that Identity screen. When I go into the Amel forum "Edit" screen then there is nothing like tags there either. I saw "Bio", so tried adding it there, but that doesn't appear on a post when I create it.  Any other clues ?
Cheers
Dean, SV Stella
A54-154

Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila

Hi Brent
That function only work when you are at a computer, reading your messages and then when you click on the picture next to your name on top of the message. Also the editing can only be done if you log in to the group on a computer. Don't work via your smartphone (iPhone).

Using the browser on an iPhone you can see the picture and the name, but you can't click on it. It would have been more useful if it was an automatically added signature when you post something.

If you pick up the message via an e-mail reader, the picture is not visible.

/Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232, 1998
Present in Portugal, Alvgarve, Portimão

Jeff Williams

On a phone browser select ‘setttings’ (looks like a cogged wheel), then your account and then you should see something that looks like a business card at the bottom.   Select that then you can edit your profile.

Different phones have different browsers but this should be very similar to what you see.
Jeff

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 12:19 PM Ann-Sofie <ann-sofie@...> wrote:
Hi Brent
That function only work when you are at a computer, reading your messages and then when you click on the picture next to your name on top of the message. Also the editing can only be done if you log in to the group on a computer. Don't work via your smartphone (iPhone).

Using the browser on an iPhone you can see the picture and the name, but you can't click on it. It would have been more useful if it was an automatically added signature when you post something.

If you pick up the message via an e-mail reader, the picture is not visible.

/Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232, 1998
Present in Portugal, Alvgarve, Portimão

Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila

I am on an iPhone, and when I browse to the group, click on the cogged wheel, all I can do is to change my login details, nothing els.

/Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998
Present in Portugal, Algarve, Portimao

Brent Cameron

Sorry folks (and sorry to be so stereotypically Canadian to start off a post with sorry!).  It didn't occur to me that the smartphone web interface would be so drastically different to provide two sets of instructions.  I did find the exact same edit page eventually but it isn't completely obvious.

To edit on a smartphone (I tested with an iPhone but I would assume that it would look similar on any phone based browser), you can:

  1. Click on the View/Reply web link below to get to the web interface.
  2. Log in using your credentials if necessary (this might also necessitate you navigating back to the AYOG afterwards)
  3. Click on the cog symbol at the top right corner and then select "Account" from the drop down
  4. At the very bottom you should see 5 icons, click on the middle one that looks like a business card
  5. From there it is the same as the PC/Mac interface, you should be able to edit your profile for each of the groups that you follow

Also, if you ever get caught by something like this again on your smartphone, most smartphones (well it works on iPhones and Blackberry's... can't say it works on Androids for sure as I don't go near them but I do know that it works on both Chrome and Safari) have an option to "Request Desktop Website".  Safari buries it into the interface a bit so it isn't obvious but if you click on the aA symbol located in the top left corner of the URL bar (just scroll down a bit to bring it into view), a drop down will appear and you can select "Request Desktop Website" to see it's website just as a PC/Mac would see it.   This also works for banking sites, etc that might not have all the features on their smartphone sites.

Hope this helps.  If it isn't clear, I'll put together a pictorial step by step.
--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada