Hours of effort for 4YRLY/1,000HR service (YANMAR 4JH3-HTE)

David Vogel

Greetings,

Anyone have the cost-breakdown of the major (1,00HR/4yr) service on the YANMAR 4JH3-HTE?

I am interested primarily in the hours of labour expended by an experienced marine mechanic.

Scope of Works is (roughly, and not in sequence):

    + Remove and re-install fuel injectors (off-site: check pressure & spray atomising pattern, adjust
 on condition)

    + Drain oil, inspect the engine oil cooler*, clean on condition (*may need a new gasket)

    + Check clearance on intake and exhaust valves, adjust on condition (may include lapping if necessary)

    + Drain the fuel filter, and replace the fuel filter element

    + Inspect all hoses, replace on condition

    + Inspect seawater pump, replace impeller plus service as required

    + Drain engine coolant, clean & check the cooling water passages, replace engine coolant

    + Inspect mixing elbow; repair, replace on condition

    + Turbo-charger: Wash blower; Inspect outlet/exhaust turbine, clean on condition

I do the routine stuff myself these days, but interested in the the time taken for valves and injectors in particular, if folks got these jobs done as 'one offs'. I am getting various quotes and, in assessing these, I'm interested in folks' _actual_ experience.

Thanks, and with kind regards,

David
SM#396, Perigee
Whangarei, NZ

JB Duler

David, I just did that last year. I have attached the invoice. Take that as an example. That Yanmar shop screwed up and did not tighten the hose clamps on the vent loop, that caused major damage. I don't recommend them.

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

David Vogel

Excellent - I see about 15 hours, 8 on the boat, and 7 in the workshop. This seems about right to my untrained eye (and experience to date). Thanks JB.

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of JB Duler <jbduler@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 20 January 2022 at 12:47 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Hours of effort for 4YRLY/1,000HR service (YANMAR 4JH3-HTE)

David, I just did that last year. I have attached the invoice. Take that as an example. That Yanmar shop screwed up and did not tighten the hose clamps on the vent loop, that caused major damage. I don't recommend them.

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Bill Kinney

David,

I can't comment on the valve service for the Yanmar, but I have pulled injectors on these engines, and that was a quick and easy job.  After 1000 hours they should be in excellent shape (unless you have had water in your fuel or other problem).  Testing them at a dedicated diesel shop should be pretty inexpensive, if they pass muster.

Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA