How to change the veneer on the companionway without removing the dodger

Sailormon <kimberlite@...>

If you go to the photo section of our site and look at the large file of
Kimberlite. You will see a series of photos of how I replaced the veneer on
the companionway without removing the dodger. It took about 6 hours.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

Eric,

Thanks for the photos on the companionway door. I have 2 questions:

How did you raise the door higher as shown in the photographs?

How did you get to the far right and far left edges to sand, etc?

Bill
BeBe

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Sailormon <kimberlite@...> wrote:

If you go to the photo section of our site and look at the large file of
Kimberlite. You will see a series of photos of how I replaced the veneer on
the companionway without removing the dodger. It took about 6 hours.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

Sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Bill.

If you remove the stops on the door you can raise it up to the dodger with a
foot under the door open. You will see in the photos a piece of wood holding
the door up.

I made a rail that I clamped parallel to the edge of the door which is shown
in the photos.

It is the same height as the door rails. This allowed me to rout right up to
the rails where the door slides.

I had to find an extra long router bit for this.

This also allowed me to rout the door deeper than the veneer to accommodate
the thicker Formica. After some sanding and making a template it fit
perfectly and is a nice match to the teak, once I re do the teak.

The entire panel was replaced except the small area that is under the area
where the door slides up and down.

I am not worried about this area as it is out of the sun and is never seen.

_____

<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , Sailormon <kimberlite@...>
wrote:

If you go to the photo section of our site and look at the large file of
Kimberlite. You will see a series of photos of how I replaced the veneer
on
the companionway without removing the dodger. It took about 6 hours.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

Alex Lomakin

Dear Eric,

I could not get to your site to look at the photos on veneer replacement.

Could you please send them to me.

Thank you very much,

Alex
Super Maramu #416, Silver Star

Gerhard Mueller

May be this helps:

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Alex Lomakin

Thank you, Gerard.

It is an interesting solution, but, as I am really keen to avoid cutting the washboard, I would probably use it as a last resort.

Very best!

Alex

Alan Leslie

Our veneer was peeling off in strips...
I unscrewed the piece at the bottom off the door that stops the door coming up - getting the nuts off the bolts was a bit of a fiddle.
Put a block of wood under the door to hold it up and easily stripped the rest of the veneer off with a sharp blade.
Rather then re-veneer it I coated the plywood with decking stain - easy.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Bill Kinney

Alex,

Here is an alternative way of removing the washboard.

http://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/refinishing-and-repairing-the-super-maramu-companionway/

It has been handy for us because we can easily remove the slide whenever needed in a few minutes, and the alteration to the boat is invisible, and does not compromise the function in any way.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

If you are in the Caribbean there is a great guy in Antigua who will do this for you: https://preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/anything-wood.html

He does the job without removing the door.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 6:58 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Alex,

Here is an alternative way of removing the washboard.

http://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/refinishing-and-repairing-the-super-maramu-companionway/

It has been handy for us because we can easily remove the slide whenever needed in a few minutes, and the alteration to the boat is invisible, and does not compromise the function in any way.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

Alex Lomakin

Dear all,
Following your advice, I have unscrewed the stopper, lifted the washboard to the highest point, stripped off the left-overs of the delaminated veneer and found the underlying plywood in OK-ish, but not exactly perfect condition. So the jury is out deciding what to do next: try to save this board or make a brand new one…
Once the job is done one way or another, I would let you know.
Thank you very much to all of you for your help.
Sincerely,
Alex

Craig Briggs

Don't forget an option to replace your delaminating, "OK-ish" plywood with plexiglass and amazingly brighten things up down below. One of the best improvements we've made, along with Corian countertops mentioned in another recent post.
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Eric Freedman

Here are some photos,

I thought that replacing the teak under the guides was a waste of effort as well as the teak that is never visible at the bottom of the companionway .

I replaced it with Formica brand “teak Color” laminate.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376