Topics

How To Replace Aft Head Sink Faucet

Bill Shaproski

The faucet on the sink in my aft head of my Super Maramu from 1995 needs replacement and I haven't been able to figure out how to remove the old faucet.  I am currently on the west coast and the boat is on the east coast so I don't have access to it and have not been on it for 9 months.  I just remember not being able to figure out how to replace the faucet.  I'm usually pretty competent about most basic maintenance issues, so this one is a surprise.  Is there some secret I'm missing or do I just need to keep trying when I get back to the boat in five days?

Thanks ion advance for any help you can offer.

Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool
206-375-2787

It is installed just like a home faucet. Google for a YouTube video.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020, 4:08 PM Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:
The faucet on the sink in my aft head of my Super Maramu from 1995 needs replacement and I haven't been able to figure out how to remove the old faucet.  I am currently on the west coast and the boat is on the east coast so I don't have access to it and have not been on it for 9 months.  I just remember not being able to figure out how to replace the faucet.  I'm usually pretty competent about most basic maintenance issues, so this one is a surprise.  Is there some secret I'm missing or do I just need to keep trying when I get back to the boat in five days?

Thanks ion advance for any help you can offer.

Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool
206-375-2787

Bill Shaproski

Thanks for the quick reply.  My message didn't explain the problem correctly.  My bad..  Having rebuilt my house I do know how to replace a sink.  My dillema is gaining access to the underside of the sink to make the pipe connections.  I may have mixed up the real issue since I'm not on the boat.  If it should be obvious, don't worry about it.  I'll figure it out.  I was just trying to get a heads up prior to arriving.
Regards
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020, 2:24 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

As I remember it, it is obvious...can't help you any more than this. Maybe someone else who is aboard an SM will respond.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 4:42 PM Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:
[...]

Keith Tice

Hi Bill,

I had the same dilemma last year with my SM2k.

You need a plumbers tool.

It is just a nut underneath, but a long reach.

Cheers,
Keith
Bikini,
SM 282

On 7 Jun 2020, at 23:08, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:

The faucet on the sink in my aft head of my Super Maramu from 1995 needs replacement and I haven't been able to figure out how to remove the old faucet.  I am currently on the west coast and the boat is on the east coast so I don't have access to it and have not been on it for 9 months.  I just remember not being able to figure out how to replace the faucet.  I'm usually pretty competent about most basic maintenance issues, so this one is a surprise.  Is there some secret I'm missing or do I just need to keep trying when I get back to the boat in five days?

Thanks ion advance for any help you can offer.

Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool
206-375-2787

Bill Shaproski

Hi Keith
Thanks for your help.  That makes a lot of sense.  In fact, I need that same tool to tighten the nut on my home kitchen faucet.  Two birds with one stone.
Ciao
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020, 3:04 PM Keith Tice <amel@...> wrote:
[...]

Ian Park

I’ve just done this job on my Santorin yesterday.
I took the sink off. Two screws on the front and four more on the bulkhead under the mirror.
It was then a very simple task. Only problem I had was the older fittings on the 12mm copper pipes. But you can put a conversion compression joint on each one to convert to the current flexible tap connectors.
I had to grind out the hole for the tap base for a slightly larger size.
Good luck

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Bill Shaproski

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your advice.  Very helpful!!  Stay safe.
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 12:01 AM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
I’ve just done this job on my Santorin yesterday.
I took the sink off. Two screws on the front and four more on the bulkhead under the mirror.
It was then a very simple task. Only problem I had was the older fittings on the 12mm copper pipes. But you can put a conversion compression joint on each one to convert to the current flexible tap connectors.
I had to grind out the hole for the tap base for a slightly larger size.
Good luck

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Linda Melton <lindajmelton@...>

Bill
I’d bought an extendable tap spanner in preparation for this job. Waste of time. The first photo shows what I thought were screws holding the plate on place. There are two of them, one impossible to reach. And they don’t hold the tap on. It is a threaded plate and screws up onto the tap. Easy job when the sink is detached but impossible in situ.
The second photo shows the tap connectors which are a standard female thread. They have a rubber washer insert to close the joint. I have been unable to find a flexible tap connector with a male 12mm end. They are all 15mm. So I am going to put a compression joint on the end 12mm to 15mm to take a standard flexible fitting.
The sink took some gentle levering to lift of the wooden bar across the front. There was no jointing compound there, just 16 years of accumulated muck.
Let me know if you find any tips on your work. I have the forward heads to do next!

Have fun

Ian

Bill Shaproski

Thanks much for the tips and photos.  This info is very helpful. Since this job seems to be of interest to not just me. I'll make sure I take lots of photos when I get back to the boat.
Regards
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 7:01 AM Linda Melton <lindajmelton@...> wrote:
[...]

Thomas Kleman

I changed the fawcets fore and aft  (and sink) by ordering German faucets from a Bauhaus. Kind of a German Home Depot. Plumbing connections  (I'ms pretty sure) are standard across Europe.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422