"Hull and Blocking Plan"

Tony Elliott

Hi all,

I am being asked from a marina for a hull and blocking plan for a haul-out I have scheduled in  couple weeks. By this I am assuming 1). where the slings should be placed along the hull and 2), where the hull should be supported by boat stands when on the hard (and, I assume, where boat stands should not be placed). Are there guidelines from Amel on this for a SM?

Would it be safe to assume that the slings should be on the primary chain plates where you would hoist a SM via a crane? Would this also be the best location for the boat stands?

Thanks for any guidance

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

The lift slings should be lined up with the chainplates. If there has been any transducer added which extends beyond the hull, the lift crew should be aware of it.

If the travel lift weight capacity is less than about 80-100 tons, the Mizzen Backstays will have to be removed and the Mizzen topping lift. If you have an SSB whip antenna, it may need to be removed also.

This travel lift weight capacity is not a hard number because it depends on the length of the travel lift and where the top fixed cross support meets the back stays. 

See this Amel Book Supplement: 

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am being asked from a marina for a hull and blocking plan for a haul-out I have scheduled in  couple weeks. By this I am assuming 1). where the slings should be placed along the hull and 2), where the hull should be supported by boat stands when on the hard (and, I assume, where boat stands should not be placed). Are there guidelines from Amel on this for a SM?

Would it be safe to assume that the slings should be on the primary chain plates where you would hoist a SM via a crane? Would this also be the best location for the boat stands?

Thanks for any guidance

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Eric Freedman

If you are lifted with a small travel lift you do not have to remove the SSB antenna. You just have to unsnap it from the holder and lower it, so it clears the bar on the travel lift.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 2:02 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] "Hull and Blocking Plan"

The lift slings should be lined up with the chainplates. If there has been any transducer added which extends beyond the hull, the lift crew should be aware of it.

If the travel lift weight capacity is less than about 80-100 tons, the Mizzen Backstays will have to be removed and the Mizzen topping lift. If you have an SSB whip antenna, it may need to be removed also.

This travel lift weight capacity is not a hard number because it depends on the length of the travel lift and where the top fixed cross support meets the back stays. 

See this Amel Book Supplement: 

Bill

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. 

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for any guidance

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Tony Elliott

Ok, thanks.

So i assume there is no guidance on where the stands should or should not be placed but assume that in line with the chain plates is probably best, correct?

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

As far as I know, yes. And it is a stiff boat unlike a Beneteau.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022, 14:53 Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:
Ok, thanks.

So i assume there is no guidance on where the stands should or should not be placed but assume that in line with the chain plates is probably best, correct?

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Chip Beaman

Tony image
 image I was not exactly in the lifting chain plates. Aft you have to clear the prop obviously, once past that you should be clear. Forward, I have two transducers so had to split them. 

Hope this helps 

CB
SM2K 430

On Jun 14, 2022, at 12:53 PM, Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:

Ok, thanks.

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Bill Kinney

The drawing I have from Amel tells a slightly different story...

The aft lifting strap should align with the aft chainplate for lifting the boat. 

If you align the forward strap with the chainplate, the strap will be right over the sonic speed sensor.  Amel recommended lifting with the strap aligned with the hatch that is across from the forward head.  I have no idea how delicate the sonic speed sensor is, but it doesn't seem like putting it under the strap would do it any good.

For blocking, the location of the stands really isn't critical. The most fastidious boat yards we have been in would tap the hull to locate the inner bulkheads and put the stands there.  The entire weight of the boat should rest on the keel.  The jack stands should just be for balance.

I am sure there must be a side view drawing of the hull in the files section.  Every travel lift operator we have worked with was very appreciative of the chance to see it

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique.

Eric Freedman

Tony,

I have hauled Kimberlite over 10 times and never had to tell the yard where to put the jack stands. They usually tap the hull and find the location.

When they haul the boat, it is also a good time to use a hose sprayer on the hole in the rudder. You would not believe what comes out, many mussel shells and a few times shrimp that grew too big inside the rudder. I also use a very long threaded rod , I guess close to a meter long during this process and use it when I dive the boat.

When I had Kimberlite built, I had Amel mark the rail with arrows to indicate the lifting points. Once you haul the boat

It would be a good Idea to mark the rail for future hauls.  I have all Raymarine equipment. If you have the same , it is important to remove the paddle wheel speed sensor and put in the plug attached to the paddle wheel..

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Tony Elliott
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 3:53 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] "Hull and Blocking Plan"

Ok, thanks.

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Tony Elliott

Thanks all again,

Eric, you must have a sixth sense. When we hauled out for the survey, the forward sling was placed about 8" forward of the chain plate. We missed the speed wheel on the DST-800 triducer by about a 1/2". It was too close for comfort!. Now we know it's there and how to avoid it but your advice is taken. 

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

I am replying to this to remind new owners like Tony that just because a transducer is installed in one place on another SM, it may not be in the same place on your Amel. 

I know Amel installed the Raymarine electronics on Eric's SM, and I believe that someone other than Amel installed the Raymarine speed transducer on Tony's SM.

My point is that if you did not buy your Amel new, you really do not have good knowledge as to what modifications have occurred with your Amel. If you rely on comparisons to another Amel, you should never take that information as something that accurately applies to your Amel, and you should only use that information for what it is worth. The information that Eric shares on his SM is as valid as possible because he ordered his SM new from Amel. However, even so, Eric ordered a full suite of Raymarine instruments, of which Amel installed in only about 5% of all SMs. The remainder had the standard combination of B&G, Raymarine, and Furuno.

I write this because too many times I have seen significant losses happen when information is shared. It is great that we can share information in this forum, but remember that shared information may not apply to your Amel.

Know the history of your Amel, the history of the Amel you are comparing to, and remember during the years each model was produced, there were changes made by Amel during the production.

Bill

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022, 06:47 Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:
Thanks all again,

Eric, you must have a sixth sense. When we hauled out for the survey, the forward sling was placed about 8" forward of the chain plate. We missed the speed wheel on the DST-800 triducer by about a 1/2". It was too close for comfort!. Now we know it's there and how to avoid it but your advice is taken. 

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru