"Hull and Blocking Plan"

Tony Elliott

Hi all,

I am being asked from a marina for a hull and blocking plan for a haul-out I have scheduled in  couple weeks. By this I am assuming 1). where the slings should be placed along the hull and 2), where the hull should be supported by boat stands when on the hard (and, I assume, where boat stands should not be placed). Are there guidelines from Amel on this for a SM?

Would it be safe to assume that the slings should be on the primary chain plates where you would hoist a SM via a crane? Would this also be the best location for the boat stands?

Thanks for any guidance

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

The lift slings should be lined up with the chainplates. If there has been any transducer added which extends beyond the hull, the lift crew should be aware of it.

If the travel lift weight capacity is less than about 80-100 tons, the Mizzen Backstays will have to be removed and the Mizzen topping lift. If you have an SSB whip antenna, it may need to be removed also.

This travel lift weight capacity is not a hard number because it depends on the length of the travel lift and where the top fixed cross support meets the back stays.

See this Amel Book Supplement:

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am being asked from a marina for a hull and blocking plan for a haul-out I have scheduled in  couple weeks. By this I am assuming 1). where the slings should be placed along the hull and 2), where the hull should be supported by boat stands when on the hard (and, I assume, where boat stands should not be placed). Are there guidelines from Amel on this for a SM?

Would it be safe to assume that the slings should be on the primary chain plates where you would hoist a SM via a crane? Would this also be the best location for the boat stands?

Thanks for any guidance

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Eric Freedman

If you are lifted with a small travel lift you do not have to remove the SSB antenna. You just have to unsnap it from the holder and lower it, so it clears the bar on the travel lift.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

The lift slings should be lined up with the chainplates. If there has been any transducer added which extends beyond the hull, the lift crew should be aware of it.

If the travel lift weight capacity is less than about 80-100 tons, the Mizzen Backstays will have to be removed and the Mizzen topping lift. If you have an SSB whip antenna, it may need to be removed also.

This travel lift weight capacity is not a hard number because it depends on the length of the travel lift and where the top fixed cross support meets the back stays.

See this Amel Book Supplement:

Bill

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am being asked from a marina for a hull and blocking plan for a haul-out I have scheduled in  couple weeks. By this I am assuming 1). where the slings should be placed along the hull and 2), where the hull should be supported by boat stands when on the hard (and, I assume, where boat stands should not be placed). Are there guidelines from Amel on this for a SM?

Would it be safe to assume that the slings should be on the primary chain plates where you would hoist a SM via a crane? Would this also be the best location for the boat stands?

Thanks for any guidance

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Tony Elliott

Ok, thanks.

So i assume there is no guidance on where the stands should or should not be placed but assume that in line with the chain plates is probably best, correct?

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

As far as I know, yes. And it is a stiff boat unlike a Beneteau.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022, 14:53 Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:
Ok, thanks.

So i assume there is no guidance on where the stands should or should not be placed but assume that in line with the chain plates is probably best, correct?

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Chip Beaman

Tony image
 image I was not exactly in the lifting chain plates. Aft you have to clear the prop obviously, once past that you should be clear. Forward, I have two transducers so had to split them.

Hope this helps

CB
SM2K 430

On Jun 14, 2022, at 12:53 PM, Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:

Ok, thanks.

So i assume there is no guidance on where the stands should or should not be placed but assume that in line with the chain plates is probably best, correct?

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Bill Kinney

The drawing I have from Amel tells a slightly different story...

The aft lifting strap should align with the aft chainplate for lifting the boat.

If you align the forward strap with the chainplate, the strap will be right over the sonic speed sensor.  Amel recommended lifting with the strap aligned with the hatch that is across from the forward head.  I have no idea how delicate the sonic speed sensor is, but it doesn't seem like putting it under the strap would do it any good.

For blocking, the location of the stands really isn't critical. The most fastidious boat yards we have been in would tap the hull to locate the inner bulkheads and put the stands there.  The entire weight of the boat should rest on the keel.  The jack stands should just be for balance.

I am sure there must be a side view drawing of the hull in the files section.  Every travel lift operator we have worked with was very appreciative of the chance to see it

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique.

Eric Freedman

Tony,

I have hauled Kimberlite over 10 times and never had to tell the yard where to put the jack stands. They usually tap the hull and find the location.

When they haul the boat, it is also a good time to use a hose sprayer on the hole in the rudder. You would not believe what comes out, many mussel shells and a few times shrimp that grew too big inside the rudder. I also use a very long threaded rod , I guess close to a meter long during this process and use it when I dive the boat.

When I had Kimberlite built, I had Amel mark the rail with arrows to indicate the lifting points. Once you haul the boat

It would be a good Idea to mark the rail for future hauls.  I have all Raymarine equipment. If you have the same , it is important to remove the paddle wheel speed sensor and put in the plug attached to the paddle wheel..