Topics

IALA buoy system warning

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

Warning according to an incident yesterday in le Marin, Martinique.

We observed an AMEL super maramu full sail up entering the bay. The captain left a green buoy at his starboard side and ended up shipwracked on the reef.

We do not know all details of this incident.

But be warned, here is the IALA buoy sytem B used opposite to europe with IALA system A.

All european scippers need to pay attention.

IALA A is used by countries in Africa, most of Asia, Australia, Europe and India. IALA B is used by countries in North, Central and South America, Japan, Korea and the Philippines.

By mixing up the different color code you my end up on the reef.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39
Martinique

Matt Salatino

Terrible!
He must have been very tired......

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On May 30, 2020, at 3:32 PM, Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:

Hello,

Warning according to an incident yesterday in le Marin, Martinique.

We observed an AMEL super maramu full sail up entering the bay. The captain left a green buoy at his starboard side and ended up shipwracked on the reef.

We do not know all details of this incident.

But be warned, here is the IALA buoy sytem B used opposite to europe with IALA system A.

All european scippers need to pay attention.

IALA A is used by countries in Africa, most of Asia, Australia, Europe and India. IALA B is used by countries in North, Central and South America, Japan, Korea and the Philippines.

By mixing up the different color code you my end up on the reef.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39
Martinique

Courtney Gorman

Red Right Return
Cheers

On May 30, 2020, at 10:58 AM, Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Not in Europe

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jun 1, 2020, at 3:30 AM, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

I thought red right return was only in America.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 01 June 2020 at 18:59 "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Tilo Peters

Not so simple as that.

Tilo
Zurich, CH

On 1Jun, 2020, at 20:57, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

And the Caribbean

[...]

Ruslan Osmonov

--

Jean Boucharlat

The French Carribean islands, as well as French Polynesia, are under the American buoyage system. It's a legacy of the American "occupation" of these French territories during the Second World War.

Jean Boucharlat

1-22-3-704 Nishi Waseda

Shinjuku-ku

169-0051 Tokyo - Japan