Topics

Important Update Re: No steering parts, rack & pinion, cables, from Amel

Antonio, Vagabundo SN108

Hi Bill,
Absolutly !!! I have to call monday.
This is the amel answer to the mail I sent this morning:

Good afternoon,

You are correct when you say that the steering rack has been discontinued by ULTRAFLEX. However we think that the message that has been posted is incomplete and has created a situation of panic among the AMEL community.

For your reference we are currently working with a  local company to have the inner teeth bar made. We should come up with a final solution by the end of this year.
The only obligation will be to dismount the pinion rack case to replace this worn toothed bar. I can tell you more about the technical specs and price once I receive the replacement part.

I hope I have given you a better appreciation of the situation.

Maud TOUILLET

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 15 nov 2019, alle ore 14:33, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> ha scritto:

Anto,

I am sure there are owners who would like know your solution that you worked out with the technician.

Please describe.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019, 3:07 AM Antonio, Vagabundo SN108 <vagabundo@...> wrote:
Hi guys,
I follow with great interested this discussion about ultraflex.
I am in Rome and my boat is two hour to ultraflex headquarter, I call today ultraflex and I have the personal phone of his tecnician to find a common solution. My Santorin is 24 Years old and I Was thinking to change the sistem just last year.
Br
Antonio
Vagabundo SN108
In Tuscany

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 14 nov 2019, alle ore 15:58, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> ha scritto:

I posted SM 16 Tamango 2 worn rack photo. This was 29 years old and 50,000 miles. You can see the rack is completely worn out.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:27 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a photo of Hanspeter's old steering rack which I will post for him in Photos. His was 29 years old and about 50,000 miles.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019, 8:54 PM hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

Yes this is HP from Tamango 2
I got the chance to order the last piece of Steering material, racks and pinion from SAV. I told that to Bill and SAV will look for new mybe new sources. But; my steereing last for about 50000 nm and 29 years. I did not so much sailing because I was in the med for 20 Years.
the installation took me about 2 hours at Trinidad, with the help of Marc; Dynamic Mec. Chagarumas, Port of Spain
------ Original Nachricht ------
Am Mittwoch, 13. Nov, 2019 um 20:22, CW Bill Rouse schrieb:

Mark,

I believe that the US distributor probably misstated what Ultraflex is doing, but since I am not speaking directly to Ultraflex, I cannot know for sure. Since Thierry BILLARD, manager of SAV at Amel is in discussions with Ultraflex, I feel it is improper for me to get directly involved. The answer to your question will come from an owner ordering the racks from Amel. I am sure we will know more soon.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:13 PM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
Bill,

Just to clarify, Ultraflex is committing to make one last batch of cables ONLY?  What about the rack and pinion gears?  From reading posts on steering failures on this forum it seems that the racks are prone to failure - even if their failure is preceded, and potentially caused by, cable failures.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

To review what I previously wrote: I received an email from Uflex USA, the Ultraflex distributor in the US. Email message to me from Uflex USAUltraflex, Italy is in contact with Chantier Amel in France, apparently they will be able to supply them a last batch of cables. When one SM owner noticed that the email from Uflex stated only "cables" and not racks, 3 days ago I wrote: "I believe that the US distributor probably misstated what Ultraflex is doing, but since I am not speaking directly to Ultraflex, Italy, I cannot know for sure. Since apparently Thierry BILLARD, manager of SAV at Amel, is in discussions with Ultraflex, I feel it is improper for me to get directly involved. The answer to your question will come from an owner ordering the racks from Amel. I am sure we will know more soon."

Yesterday Thierry Billard SAV Manager emailed me and said: "We suddenly face with numerous emails and phone calls asking for info or order on pinion and rack of the steering system. We suspect you to have posted an anxiolitic message on the social network about a risk of shortage.  Does it  right ? For your review we are about to receive mid of Décember the first units  of the internal toothed bar that must solve almost all this wear issues .The only obligation will be to dismount the pinion rack case to replace this worn toothed bar. Although your help is greatly appreciatly among the Amel community we request you from now to submit us for pre approval any new further message of this sort or to consult us if more info is needed."

Of course it is not my intention to cause "panic" as Maud wrote. My only intention is to help any of you find the information that you need. But, in my attempt to help several of you, I have irritated two good people at Amel. Possibly they think that I am causing "panic" because they are on the receiving side of the solution to this steering parts issue. I will assure you that all I did is what I challenge myself every day to do...that is is help each of you enjoy your Amel while you own her. I have the utmost respect for Thierry and Maud who always do an amazing job helping owners of Amels.

I CC'd Thierry Billard of this email. He will be able to read this so that there is no misunderstanding.
--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Davi Rozgonyi

I just spoke to Maud and she had the same info: it's been blown out of proportion, nobody panic, they're gonna get a new supplier soon.

Mark McGovern

Bill,

No good deed goes unpunished, indeed!  Thanks for continuing to look out for us.  I hope this misunderstanding with Thierry and Maud at Amel is cleared up and that this does not deter you from continuing your efforts.

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

James Cromie

No worries!  No anxiety here!  You are consistently a source of abundant knowledge and you  help to stimulate very useful questions and discussion.  There's no problem with that.

James

Il giorno 15 nov 2019, alle ore 23:10, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> ha scritto:

[...]

ngtnewington Newington

Bill,

I have no doubt that you offer a great service to the anglophile Amel owners in particular. You have always been respectful to the Amel brand, indeed supportive.  I am sure that Amel appreciate that, but inevitably on occasion there may be a few tensions and a few toes that get trod upon. This is normal and to be expected and requires diplomacy on all sides. I know that you are sensitive and sensible in this regard. Keep up the good work.

 I hope that the spare parts department at Amel is a profit centre and  believe that it is in everyones interest to keep it going. There must be a couple of thousand Amels out there!

All the best

Nick
S/Y Amelia AML 54-019

On 14 Nov 2019, at 14:57, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob Ross

Thank you All for this discussion. Bill as always thank you for your tireless support of the Amel owners community. As a new owner I do not want to think what it would be like without this Group and her members. And as Bill knows I have a lot of questions and clearly some are beginner questions.

We only know the age of our SM2K #362 (2002) but not her miles prior to us. Steering seems fine and we check, adjust, tighten and lubricate as suggested.

First question:
Regarding the new supply of steering cables and racks potentially coming available sometime in December. (great news)
Thinking of getting a complete spare of cables and racks.
Good idea? I'm not a fan of getting the spare when it fails, would rather have the spare secured aboard.  But then again you cannot have an entire spare SM2K on the boat. So some balance must be found. Is it: Critical? Likely to fail? Cost? Age? Heavy/light use? Harsh/gentle environment? Easy/difficult to get?

Second question:
To facilitate a smooth cooperative ordering process with Amel can anyone compile a list of part numbers and descriptions for the system so we can make a concise order with Amel? Apologies if I have missed this information in this thread or a previous thread. Could ask SAV but no doubt they are all pretty busy to be asked to look up all the part numbers, etc. Maybe someone that has ordered the system the past can share?

Kind Regards,
Bob
Nomad SM2K #362 Trinidad

Antonio, Vagabundo SN108

Hi guys , Hi owners, Hi Thierry and Maud,

I particularly want to write these lines to give the right meaning back to the discussion.
I will apologize if I am not short, but I humbly believe that I can interpret the thoughts of many owners and friends.
The ferment that has developed around the theme of ultraflex cables in my opinion is extremely positive and necessary.
When I bought Vagabundo I was not aware of the existence of this forum, but thanks amel yacht owners forum and thanks Olivier, over the years I managed my boat to back to the right level of maintenance, so that it could finally be a blue Water Cruise again.
Many owners entrust their dreams and lives to the boats built and designed by Henri AMEL and thanks to the construction quality of the AMEL shipyard, we all sail safely with our boats.
But there is a particularly important aspect that must never be underestimated and it is the age and the obsolescence of a lot of equipments installed on our boats.
There is no anxiety, no fear in this.
If there were anxiety and fear, none of us would take the sea and only a crowds would leave the land entrusting their lives to a boat that he considers unsafe.
But if there is one thing I learned during my life spent at sea is that the attention to small details often makes the difference between a happy ending and a misfortune.
Precisely this attention (that is often found in the posts and discussions of this forum that I call the big family AMEL) has given the AMEL boats in the world and on the used market a great reputation.
I am therefore sure that the food for thought that will arise in this group will be an inexhaustible source of information and advice for amel itself so that over the years more safe and reliable boats can be produced like  in the past.
At the same time it is inevitable to recognize the fact that many boats that sail have reached an age by now and that a lot of equipment needs a thorough maintenance if not a complete replacement.
It is clear that the goodness of the materials used has permitted that many years have passed since they were assembled on our boats.  During these years many equipment manufacturers have failed, they have closed, they have changed their business, they have passed on to a better life.
In the future, it will certainly be necessary to find adjustments and solutions to more or less serious problems that will arise.  I personally believe that it is extremely erroneous and dangerous to underestimate the needs of each owner and of each boat that are expressed in this forum.
Therefore, concluding my speech, I am sure that this time too AMEL will demonstrate sensitivity and attention to a problem that has been necessary to resolve.  At the same time I am sure that it is ultra Flex, a company that I know, it will be able to provide all of us and all the owners who want to take action with a safe solution to the problem that we discussed in this forum.
Br and Fair wind
Antonio Martina e Azzurra
On board in Tuscany
Vagabundo Santorin number 108

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 15 nov 2019, alle ore 18:35, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

Good evening.
Yesterday, I spoke to Maud on the Ultrfex Control thing.
Maud assured me that Amel is in the process of settling the matter in the Amelowner's Iteresse . If Ultrafex no longer delivers Amel will find another manufacturer.
Maud was a good thing that will be found by the end of December .
After this conversation I decided to rely on Amel spare parts service as always to leave Amel. I'm always good with that.
Let's wait till Jan. If it's supposed to be different again, it's probably not a witch's work to make it look like we're just gonna have to have a pattern.

Best Elja Röllinghoff
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

I am sure you can rely on Amel, Thierry, & Maud. In 15 years they have never disappointed me.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019, 11:46 AM Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:
Good evening.
Yesterday, I spoke to Maud on the Ultrfex Control thing.
Maud assured me that Amel is in the process of settling the matter in the Amelowner's Iteresse . If Ultrafex no longer delivers Amel will find another manufacturer.
Maud was a good thing that will be found by the end of December .
After this conversation I decided to rely on Amel spare parts service as always to leave Amel. I'm always good with that.
Let's wait till Jan. If it's supposed to be different again, it's probably not a witch's work to make it look like we're just gonna have to have a pattern.

Best Elja Röllinghoff
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

karkauai