Improved 24v alternator pulleys and turbo heat shield


ngtnewington Newington
 

Whilst in lockdown I bought a nice new heat shield for the turbo. See below, the original was messy and shed fibre glass.
More importantly I re-machined the drive pulley to micro v PK8
And bought an off the shelf Reece Neville pulley to match.
They are now fitted and aligned perfectly.
I can report, but only after a couple of hours use, that it runs well at much lower temperature. Previously the belts and pulleys ran 100 degrees C now 52!
Also due to improved ratio, at idle the alternator generates 43A v about 12A before.
I calculate that max rpm should be limited to 2600 as that will max out the alternator rating of 8000 rpm.
The Volvo WOT is specked at 2750. I plan to make a label at the helm to say max rpm 2600.
Frankly the only time I open the throttle full tilt is to blast away any soot build up but at 2600 it all seams a bit much anyway.
So far no dust but it is early days.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019 Patmos


Alain Durante
 

Bonjour Nick,

I also want to improve the drive pulley on my 175 A alternator so do you have any technical information and parts number to help me to do the modification?

Cordialement,

Alain Durante

Amel 54-021 / Meige

-----Message d'origine-----
De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> De la part de ngtnewington Newington via groups.io
Envoyé : lundi 21 juin 2021 07:39
À : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Objet : [AmelYachtOwners] Improved 24v alternator pulleys and turbo heat shield

Whilst in lockdown I bought a nice new heat shield for the turbo. See below, the original was messy and shed fibre glass.
More importantly I re-machined the drive pulley to micro v PK8 And bought an off the shelf Reece Neville pulley to match.
They are now fitted and aligned perfectly.
I can report, but only after a couple of hours use, that it runs well at much lower temperature. Previously the belts and pulleys ran 100 degrees C now 52!
Also due to improved ratio, at idle the alternator generates 43A v about 12A before.
I calculate that max rpm should be limited to 2600 as that will max out the alternator rating of 8000 rpm.
The Volvo WOT is specked at 2750. I plan to make a label at the helm to say max rpm 2600.
Frankly the only time I open the throttle full tilt is to blast away any soot build up but at 2600 it all seams a bit much anyway.
So far no dust but it is early days.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019 Patmos


ngtnewington Newington
 

Hi Alain,

This is copied from my email to the forum back 2020.

I found on eBay Leece-Neville part number K176101466, priced $30. This is a K section 8 groove pulley with 63mm diameter.  The bore is 7/8 inch with keyway to fit the alternator. The pulley was new and unused.

Micro v belts can go round much smaller pulleys. I think for the K section it is a minimum of 45mm. So no problem going round a 63mm pulley.

I then took the original 230mm double groove pulley, that bolts to the Volvo crankshaft to my local machine shop in the UK who milled it down to match the Leece-Neville one I bought. He did a superb job for £60. 

Please see the photos of the big pulley that has been machined down from 230mm to 200mm.

So I calculate that I now have a pulley ratio of 3.14 whilst before it was 2.7. Thus at idle (725 rpm on the engine) the alternator now runs at 2300 rpm and will be charging nicely. Where as before in idle it was running at 1957 rpm. The alternator only kicks in at 2000 rpm. So in the boat manoeuvring situation we will now have proper charge, and we all know how much power the Bowthruster uses.

The alternator is rated for a maximum RPM of 8000. The Volvo D3 has maximum rpm of about 2700 so I calculate that the maximum engine rpm will have to be 2547.

Seeing as that is really thrashing the engine and I never run it it that level apart from the once a year blast out. I will put a small sticker at the helm saying Max RPM 2500.

Total cost in US$ including new Gates Fleetrunner belt about $125.

Obviously when I get back to the boat I will have to align the alternator, but note how now both pulley are exactly the same width. It will be much easier than before where one pulley was 47mm and the other 52mm. The machine shop supplied me with a few spacers, washers of different thickness, to help but I may well have to have a washer made  for the final alignment.

So now that I have it fitted I can report that it works well. The only thing is that small pulley required a small spacer about 5mm for the nut to clamp it to the fan.

I also report that the belt that I am using fits nicely Gates FleetRunner Micro V 8PK1255HD

Kind regards

Nick

Amelia 
AML 54-019
Patmos




On 21 Jun 2021, at 09:02, Alain Durante <info@...> wrote:

Bonjour Nick,

I also want to improve the drive pulley on my 175 A alternator so do you have any technical information and parts number to help me to do the modification?

Cordialement,

Alain Durante

Amel 54-021 / Meige

-----Message d'origine-----
De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> De la part de ngtnewington Newington via groups.io
Envoyé : lundi 21 juin 2021 07:39
À : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Objet : [AmelYachtOwners] Improved 24v alternator pulleys and turbo heat shield

Whilst in lockdown I bought a nice new heat shield for the turbo.  See below, the original was messy and shed fibre glass.
More importantly I re-machined the drive pulley to micro v PK8 And bought an off the shelf Reece Neville pulley to match.
They are now fitted and aligned perfectly.
I can report, but only after a couple of hours use, that it runs well at much lower temperature. Previously the belts and pulleys ran 100 degrees C now 52!
Also due to improved ratio, at idle the alternator generates 43A v about 12A before.
I calculate that  max rpm should be limited to 2600 as that will max out the alternator rating of 8000 rpm.
The Volvo WOT is specked at 2750. I plan to make a label at the helm to say max rpm 2600.
Frankly the only time I open the throttle full tilt is to blast away any soot build up but at 2600 it all seams a bit much anyway.
So far no dust but it is early days.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019 Patmos












Davi Rozgonyi
 

Ummmmm shedding fiberglass? Isn't the turbo heat pad made of asbestos? I'm pretty sure mine is.... 


 

Nick,

Great find! The Leece - Neville was not an issue on the SM, but was an issue on the D3 in early 54s. I know this will help others.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 6:47 AM Davi Rozgonyi <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote:
Ummmmm shedding fiberglass? Isn't the turbo heat pad made of asbestos? I'm pretty sure mine is.... 


Alain Durante
 

Bonjour Nick,

 

Thank you very much for the information and I will try to find a good solution.

 

Cordialement,

 

Alain Durante

Meige / Amel 54-21

 

De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> De la part de ngtnewington Newington via groups.io
Envoyé : lundi 21 juin 2021 08:27
À : main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Objet : Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Improved 24v alternator pulleys and turbo heat shield

 

Hi Alain,

 

This is copied from my email to the forum back 2020.

 

I found on eBay Leece-Neville part number K176101466, priced $30. This is a K section 8 groove pulley with 63mm diameter.  The bore is 7/8 inch with keyway to fit the alternator. The pulley was new and unused.

 

Micro v belts can go round much smaller pulleys. I think for the K section it is a minimum of 45mm. So no problem going round a 63mm pulley.

 

I then took the original 230mm double groove pulley, that bolts to the Volvo crankshaft to my local machine shop in the UK who milled it down to match the Leece-Neville one I bought. He did a superb job for £60. 

 

Please see the photos of the big pulley that has been machined down from 230mm to 200mm.

 

So I calculate that I now have a pulley ratio of 3.14 whilst before it was 2.7. Thus at idle (725 rpm on the engine) the alternator now runs at 2300 rpm and will be charging nicely. Where as before in idle it was running at 1957 rpm. The alternator only kicks in at 2000 rpm. So in the boat manoeuvring situation we will now have proper charge, and we all know how much power the Bowthruster uses.

 

The alternator is rated for a maximum RPM of 8000. The Volvo D3 has maximum rpm of about 2700 so I calculate that the maximum engine rpm will have to be 2547.

 

Seeing as that is really thrashing the engine and I never run it it that level apart from the once a year blast out. I will put a small sticker at the helm saying Max RPM 2500.

 

Total cost in US$ including new Gates Fleetrunner belt about $125.

 

Obviously when I get back to the boat I will have to align the alternator, but note how now both pulley are exactly the same width. It will be much easier than before where one pulley was 47mm and the other 52mm. The machine shop supplied me with a few spacers, washers of different thickness, to help but I may well have to have a washer made  for the final alignment.

 

So now that I have it fitted I can report that it works well. The only thing is that small pulley required a small spacer about 5mm for the nut to clamp it to the fan.

 

I also report that the belt that I am using fits nicely Gates FleetRunner Micro V 8PK1255HD

 

Kind regards

 

Nick

 

Amelia 

AML 54-019

Patmos

 

 

 



On 21 Jun 2021, at 09:02, Alain Durante <info@...> wrote:

 

Bonjour Nick,

I also want to improve the drive pulley on my 175 A alternator so do you have any technical information and parts number to help me to do the modification?

Cordialement,

Alain Durante

Amel 54-021 / Meige

-----Message d'origine-----
De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> De la part de ngtnewington Newington via groups.io
Envoyé : lundi 21 juin 2021 07:39
À : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Objet : [AmelYachtOwners] Improved 24v alternator pulleys and turbo heat shield

Whilst in lockdown I bought a nice new heat shield for the turbo.  See below, the original was messy and shed fibre glass.
More importantly I re-machined the drive pulley to micro v PK8 And bought an off the shelf Reece Neville pulley to match.
They are now fitted and aligned perfectly.
I can report, but only after a couple of hours use, that it runs well at much lower temperature. Previously the belts and pulleys ran 100 degrees C now 52!
Also due to improved ratio, at idle the alternator generates 43A v about 12A before.
I calculate that  max rpm should be limited to 2600 as that will max out the alternator rating of 8000 rpm.
The Volvo WOT is specked at 2750. I plan to make a label at the helm to say max rpm 2600.
Frankly the only time I open the throttle full tilt is to blast away any soot build up but at 2600 it all seams a bit much anyway.
So far no dust but it is early days.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019 Patmos









 


Scott SV Tengah
 

Nick,

Can you provide more info about the heat shield? My turbo heat shield is destroyed, too.

I presume that since the D3's Garrett turbo is used on cars, you can find a non-marine one for less than the 500 euros that Volvo Penta wants for theirs!

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


ngtnewington Newington
 

Hi Scott, 
I got it on eBay 



On 29 Jun 2021, at 23:30, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Nick,

Can you provide more info about the heat shield? My turbo heat shield is destroyed, too.

I presume that since the D3's Garrett turbo is used on cars, you can find a non-marine one for less than the 500 euros that Volvo Penta wants for theirs!

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Scott SV Tengah
 

Thanks Nick. You find that it works as well (if not better) than the original?

I recall the service manual saying that it's imperative that the heat shield protects the oil feed and return pipes from the hot side of the turbo.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 2:35 AM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Scott, 
I got it on eBay 



On 29 Jun 2021, at 23:30, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Nick,

Can you provide more info about the heat shield? My turbo heat shield is destroyed, too.

I presume that since the D3's Garrett turbo is used on cars, you can find a non-marine one for less than the 500 euros that Volvo Penta wants for theirs!

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


ngtnewington Newington
 


Hi Scot
The top photo taken from above.
The next taken from side facing to starboard
The bottom one taken from side but looking up a bit.
The shield keeps the turbo heat away from the pipe work.
Next time I motor and get the engine at full temperature and a touch of boost pressure I will measure the temps around with digital heat sensing gun.
I touched up with paint and got slightly carried away. I know that the pipe from the turbo to the exhaust mixing elbow does get hot and will likely blister off that paint. You can see in top photo the pipe heading aft. It will be hot and then cool as it hits the mixing elbow.

Overall the new shield is very neat and should do the job. 

Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019 Samos Gr 

On 1 Jul 2021, at 00:12, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:


Thanks Nick. You find that it works as well (if not better) than the original?

I recall the service manual saying that it's imperative that the heat shield protects the oil feed and return pipes from the hot side of the turbo.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 2:35 AM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Scott, 
I got it on eBay 
<image0.png>



On 29 Jun 2021, at 23:30, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Nick,

Can you provide more info about the heat shield? My turbo heat shield is destroyed, too.

I presume that since the D3's Garrett turbo is used on cars, you can find a non-marine one for less than the 500 euros that Volvo Penta wants for theirs!

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com