Topics

In or out of gear?

smiles bernard

Hello there fellow Amelians
We have just loved our vintage Maramu ti here new home up the Tamar river in the UK.
Lovely spot on a swinging mooring but the tide rips through at 4 knots at springs

So much so that the prop spins along.

Normally when sailing leave the prop freespining - not least to generate power but also I believe that’s advised for my Hurth gearbox.

Does anyone have advise for when on a mooring ? My feeling is that days and days of freespining prop can only add wear and so I am tempted to put her in reverse

Thoughts most welcome

Miles
Maramu #162

James Alton

Miles,

I am interested in hearing what advice you get on this one. I would only add that spinning props at anchor concern me since they can pick up a line, trash etc. so I have always stopped the props of the various boats I have owned when at anchor. Nothing worse than having a storm come up in the middle of the night and finding that your prop is fouled…

Glad to hear that you are aboard and enjoying your Maramu! We are still waiting for Greece to reopen to US/Canadian travellers.

Best,

James
SV Sueño
Amel Maramu #220

On Jun 23, 2020, at 1:26 PM, smiles bernard via groups.io <smilesbernard=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello there fellow Amelians
We have just loved our vintage Maramu ti here new home up the Tamar river in the UK.
Lovely spot on a swinging mooring but the tide rips through at 4 knots at springs

So much so that the prop spins along.

Normally when sailing leave the prop freespining - not least to generate power but also I believe that’s advised for my Hurth gearbox.

Does anyone have advise for when on a mooring ? My feeling is that days and days of freespining prop can only add wear and so I am tempted to put her in reverse

Thoughts most welcome

Miles
Maramu #162

Gerhard Mueller

Some times ago was a discussion about gear shift while sailing. Most Amel have a sticker beside the gear level saying never have the shift to forward while sailing and engine off.
My understanding is there is no difference for the prop if turned by sailing or by current. So if you don't want a turning prop while at anchor shift to reverse or whatever your sticker say.
I do have a Hurth gearbox with the sticker saying NO forward while sailing and engine off.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Aras

I agree with Gerhard.  Should have no effect

Aras
Sharki #163 1988
Daytona

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 3:36 AM Gerhard Mueller via groups.io <carcode=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Some times ago was a discussion about gear shift while sailing. Most Amel have a sticker beside the gear level saying never have the shift to forward while sailing and engine off.
My understanding is there is no difference for the prop if turned by sailing or by current. So if you don't want a turning prop while at anchor shift to reverse or whatever your sticker say.
I do have a Hurth gearbox with the sticker saying NO forward while sailing and engine off.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

--
Aras Grinius

smiles bernard

Thanks all

I was not so keen on freespining for the reasons James mentioned an a sense of wear and tear

I’ll definitely go for reverse !

Many thanks all