Topics

Installing a diesel heater

Paul Osterberg

Hello!
Plan a trip to Nordkapp next season and need to install a diesel heater in our SM (we do not have the forced ventilation). I have searched on the forum but did not find the information I was looking for.
Location of a diesel heater could be in the engine room or in the large cockpit locker. You who have a diesel heater where is it located?
One could choose either air or a water distributed heater, advantage with the water distributed heater, easier to install the water pipe, but the heat elements takes large place. the hot air heater duct takes a lot of space as diameter is 90 mm or about 3½ inch.
So would very much appreciate you experience and recommendations when it comes to install a diesel heater
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259, Lagos, Portugal

Arnold Mente

Hi Paul,

I have an Eberpächer Hydronic heater on my SM with an outlet in all cabins, saloon and cockpit. The heating is also connected to the water heater, which requires an Isotemp with 2 heating circuits, a motor and diesel heating. This guarantees hot water preparation even without a motor under sail. We particularly recommend the outlet in the cockpit, which with a closed cockpit ensures a very pleasant temperature in the steering position. Also staying in the cockpit, eating ... is very pleasant. The heater was housed in my cockpit storage space and can be individually regulated in all areas via thermometers. I am very satisfied with this heater, since I already had both air and water heaters on my other boats, I would recommend the hydronic (water heater).

Best

Arnold
SV Zephyr
SM203

--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Paul Osterberg

Thank you!
What kind of heat exchanger do you have in the cabins? Just convector elements or heat exchanger that blows air into the cabin?
Do you have any photos on the installation?
Paul SY Kerpa

Arnold Mente

These are plate heat exchangers with a fan. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the installation, only the cockpit and the backside of it! Left to the Autopilot!!

Arnold

Am 07.11.2020 um 20:44 schrieb Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...>:

Thank you!
What kind of heat exchanger do you have in the cabins? Just convector elements or heat exchanger that blows air into the cabin?
Do you have any photos on the installation?
Paul SY Kerpa

--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Paul Osterberg

Thank you!
What's the reason for having the heater in the cockpit locker and not in the engine room?
Paul

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 2:28 PM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Thank you!
What's the reason for having the heater in the cockpit locker and not in the engine room?
Paul

Arnold Mente

It is in a good position in the upper area of the storage space (behind the backrest next to the electric winch motor and switch box) and the expansion tank is placed there with a hand hole with a lock and can be filled from the outside (cockpit).

Arnold

Am 07.11.2020 um 21:28 schrieb Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...>:

Thank you!
What's the reason for having the heater in the cockpit locker and not in the engine room?
Paul

--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Paul Osterberg

Hello again Arnold!
What size of heater do you have? I'm lean towards the Webasto 9 Kw, a bit small if one follow the guidelines from the suppliers, but I do not need room temperature all over the boat, if I can keep 17 degree C i most of the boat, or 19 in the saloon and 17 in the after cabin, and keep the front cabin closed. I'm happy. it's another 1 k€ to go up one size!
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259

Arnold Mente

Hi Paul,

the M12 is installed in my boat but it is a older one, the control units now more different. I have a switch on/off close to the Generator switch in the galley and a temp regulation in all places as also a switch close to the vans at the heat exchangers. I have them marked in the pictures.

Best

Arnold

Am 09.11.2020 um 19:51 schrieb Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...>:

Hello again Arnold!
What size of heater do you have? I'm lean towards the Webasto 9 Kw, a bit small if one follow the guidelines from the suppliers, but I do not need room temperature all over the boat, if I can keep 17 degree C i most of the boat, or 19 in the saloon and 17 in the after cabin, and keep the front cabin closed. I'm happy. it's another 1 k€ to go up one size!
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259

--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Joerg Esdorn

Paul, on my A55, Amel installed the Webasto Thermo Pro 90.  It warms up the boat nicely and quickly.  Given that your boat has less internal volume, I would think the 9 KW is enough. The heat exchangers are Kalori Silencio (in the heads) and Silencio 2 (in the salon and the cabins (if I recall correctly).  The Silencio units have a second, booster speed which is very nice.  I attach some materials for your reference.  I hope this helps.  Cheers Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
On the hard in Vigo, Spain

Stefan and Anne Deerberg

Hi Paul!

We had a webasto 10kw hydronic water heater on our previous Beneteau 50. We sailed in the Baltic winter and the boat was pretty warm in all cabins, even the temperature dropped under zero Celsius.
We are planning to install the same heater in our SM 2000, before we sailing up north to Greenland.
In our Truck, where we lived all the year, we had very good experience with the Planar 44D, a air van heater from Russia.

All the best

Stefan
SV OYA, SM 373
Le Marin / Martinique
sailing.oya

Stefan Deerberg

Geschäftsführer
Deerberg GmbH
Unternehmer/ Entrepreneur

Velgen 35
29582 Hanstedt
Germany

Mobil: +49 172 7757444
stefan.deerberg@...
www.deerberg.de

On 9. Nov 2020, at 19:51, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Hello again Arnold!
What size of heater do you have? I'm lean towards the Webasto 9 Kw, a bit small if one follow the guidelines from the suppliers, but I do not need room temperature all over the boat, if I can keep 17 degree C i most of the boat, or 19 in the saloon and 17 in the after cabin, and keep the front cabin closed. I'm happy. it's another 1 k€ to go up one size!
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg

Thank you all, very useful information for us.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Lagos Portugal

Bill Shaproski

I had a diesel air heater on my 1995 SM before I sold it recently.  It is installed in the cockpit main port locker tucked up under the top of the locker.  It is difficult to access once installed since it requires complete removal of everything in the locker.  The diesel exhaust is through the hull.  I didn't use it much given that I was always in warm climates.  But I did use it in South Africa.  It has heating tubes running to the main cabin from under the galley area and exiting under the companionway stairs and to the aft cabin via the engine room and aft head.  Since I rarely used it, the two tiny diesel fuel filters would clog up when not in use and needed to be cleaned before first use.  One filter is on the diesel heater and one is on the fuel line in the engine room where it connects to the main diesel fuel line.
Regards
Bill Shaproski

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 10:35 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Hello!
Plan a trip to Nordkapp next season and need to install a diesel heater in our SM (we do not have the forced ventilation). I have searched on the forum but did not find the information I was looking for.
Location of a diesel heater could be in the engine room or in the large cockpit locker. You who have a diesel heater where is it located?
One could choose either air or a water distributed heater, advantage with the water distributed heater, easier to install the water pipe, but the heat elements takes large place. the hot air heater duct takes a lot of space as diameter is 90 mm or about 3½ inch.
So would very much appreciate you experience and recommendations when it comes to install a diesel heater
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259, Lagos, Portugal

--
Bill Shaproski
Cell:  +1-206-375-2787

Bill Shaproski

Forgot to mention my heater is an Eberspracher.