Installing rub rail inserts

Patrick McAneny

I arranged the group purchase for the new rub rail inserts last year and just yesterday began to install mine. I knew it was not going to be fun or easy, but it went extremely slowly, I was only able to get about one or two inches installed per minute,less considering time to straighten my back out every few minutes ,working on my knees bent over . You need to compress and push down the lower lip to get it under the inside lip of the rub rail,even with soapy water it does not go in easily. Seeing that at this rate it was going to take several days ,I cut about half of the lower lip off the insert to see how that went. Using sharp, short kitchen scissors I cut off between 1/4 -5/16 of the lower lip. This made it very easy to install ,I went from 1inch/minute to 1 foot/minute and it went from hard to easy. The insert still snaps in and is not easy to pull out .I used a 1" chisel to push the lip down and in , I blunted the edge ,grounding down the chisel on a belt sander.
If I were to order these inserts again ,I would have the lower lip reduced by half. 
I just wanted to put this out for those that purchased the inserts,and have yet to tackle the job. My boat is on the hard so I moved onto scaffolding ,which also made it easier on the knees and back. The new white insert fit very well and look much better that the old brown ones, a good upgrade !
Hope this helps,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Michael Brusch

Hi Patrick,

Where did you order the rub rail inserts? I have been planning on renewing mine as well :)

Thanks

Michael

Patrick McAneny

Michael, This past summer I organized a group purchase in which appox. 11 owners participated , I am sorry you missed out on it. Are you a new owner ,because I posted several times encouraging members to join in the group buy. You would need at least six others to make a purchase  practical ,if you can arrange that ,I have the die and contact to have more produced. When you post ,include your boat's name .
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, May 25, 2021 7:07 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Installing rub rail inserts

Hi Patrick,

Where did you order the rub rail inserts? I have been planning on renewing mine as well :)

Thanks

Michael

Craig Briggs

Hi Michael,
 The new rub rail inserts, in an off-white, are fantastic. Frankly, they look better than the original brown (imho). As Pat notes, installing them does seem a bit more difficult than the originals, but totally manageable. (I removed my old ones every few years and it took about 2-3 hours to reinstall - new ones took about 8 hours over two days.)
Pat -  didn't the original 11 orders cover the cost of the die such that you were totally reimbursed? I don't understand why Michael would need six others to make it practical?
Cheers,
Craig
--
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Patrick McAneny

Craig, Its not the die ,it is that the manufacturer would not be interested in gearing up to make one insert,certainly not for near the price we paid. I think you would need more than a few buyers to make it practical and bring down the cost of production per unit. I remember they had to make a special purchase of materials to produce the inserts ,I doubt they would want to do that for one unit ,unless one owner was willing to cover all the associated costs , at that point it would be cheaper I would think to purchase the insert directly from Amel.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Tue, May 25, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi Michael,
 The new rub rail inserts, in an off-white, are fantastic. Frankly, they look better than the original brown (imho). As Pat notes, installing them does seem a bit more difficult than the originals, but totally manageable. (I removed my old ones every few years and it took about 2-3 hours to reinstall - new ones took about 8 hours over two days.)
Pat -  didn't the original 11 orders cover the cost of the die such that you were totally reimbursed? I don't understand why Michael would need six others to make it practical?
Cheers,
Craig
--

Michael Brusch

Thank you Patrick and Craig! I just recently joined this blog so I was not aware of your recent post. I've owned my Angel Maramu for 5 years now and she is in need of a few cosmetic touchups :)

Cheers,

Michael
SV Kailani

On Wed, May 26, 2021, 7:50 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Craig, Its not the die ,it is that the manufacturer would not be interested in gearing up to make one insert,certainly not for near the price we paid. I think you would need more than a few buyers to make it practical and bring down the cost of production per unit. I remember they had to make a special purchase of materials to produce the inserts ,I doubt they would want to do that for one unit ,unless one owner was willing to cover all the associated costs , at that point it would be cheaper I would think to purchase the insert directly from Amel.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

From: Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io>

Hi Michael,
Cheers,
Craig
--

Patrick McAneny

Michael, 
You will find useful info on this site and answers to most any question you may have about an Amel. Once again ,I am sorry you missed out on the group buy of the inserts ,it worked out very good for everyone,the inserts produced were as original equipment and we each saved a lot of money on shipping and taxes. Perhaps down the road there may be others interested in a group buy , if that occurs,I will make sure that the die is made available .
Pat
SM Shenanigans

To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, May 26, 2021 2:18 pm

Thank you Patrick and Craig! I just recently joined this blog so I was not aware of your recent post. I've owned my Angel Maramu for 5 years now and she is in need of a few cosmetic touchups :)

Cheers,

Michael
SV Kailani

On Wed, May 26, 2021, 7:50 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pat
SM Shenanigans

From: Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io>

Hi Michael,
Cheers,
Craig
--

David Kurtz

Pat, I just installed my new inserts.  The soapy water spray is definitely the way to go, but I did not have all the trouble it sounds like you had.  Definitely a slow process, but I used a large flat blade screwdriver and it probably took six hours to get all of the rail installed.  Really quite happy with the results and I would not change a thing.  And thanks again for arranging the group purchase!

Dave
--
Dave Kurtz
SM2 #380
S/V Celtic Cross

Detroit, Michigan

Patrick McAneny

Dave, I am going down today to install the other side and before I start I will cut off about half of the lower lip. With that I expect to be able to install it in two or three hours , there is no reason that the lower lip needs to be as wide as the upper lip and it makes it so much easier to install. I too am very happy with the insert/gutter and the white looks very good against my freshly painted forest green rub rails. 
We have always had a huge problem with spiders living under and in the rub rails , so before I installed the inserts ,I placed a piece of plastic gutter guard material inside over the drain holes ,(typically installed in gutters to leave water pass thru ,but to keep leaves out sold at Lowes) ,this should prevent spiders from hiding inside the rails and yet leave water out. Just thought I would pass that along ,in case others have a spider problem like me.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Wed, May 26, 2021 10:23 pm

Pat, I just installed my new inserts.  The soapy water spray is definitely the way to go, but I did not have all the trouble it sounds like you had.  Definitely a slow process, but I used a large flat blade screwdriver and it probably took six hours to get all of the rail installed.  Really quite happy with the results and I would not change a thing.  And thanks again for arranging the group purchase!

Dave
--
Dave Kurtz
SM2 #380
S/V Celtic Cross
Detroit, Michigan

Craig Briggs

All,
Here's an email from the manufacturer. Anyone interested can contact them directly.
Craig

"Hi Craig,

Great to hear from you! We can definitely manufacture more rub rail inserts – we still have the die (#30117)

The cost does have to change a little bit due to inflation on raw materials this past year. Do you happen to have quantities on how many orders? Remember, it would be best to run all orders together so we do not have major loss on material.  

I can provide you a new quote with this information. 😊

Thanks!

Paula Murador

Director, Account Manager

9401 NW 106th ST # 111 | Medley, FL 33178
Office: (305)888-6324

Fax:(305)888-6325
www.technorubberindustries.com    

--

Darren Moore

Hi Craig,

I am new to the SM and are wondering what these rub rail inserts are? and what costs are involved

I looked in the photo's section under rub rail and found some Stainless rub rails, but I don't think that is what you are talking about

--
Darren & Karen
SM171
Tradewinds III
Tasmania, Australia

Craig Briggs

Hi Darren & Karen (how alliterative ;-) and any others interested in replacement rubber rub rail inserts. 
You're right - these are not Stainless rub rails. These are replacements for the original brown rubber inserts that go the full length of the FRP Rub Rails and which over the years take on a nasty chalky brown that cannot be restored effectively. 
Pat McEnery on Shenanigans found a Miami, FL manufacturer of extruded rubber products (like dinghy rub rails and dock bumpers) and sent them a section of his old insert from which they made an extrusion die and several of us ordered our replacements, sharing the cost of the die. 
The product was excellent and was an off-white instead of the original brown. So far it seems not to be prone to UV deterioration and looks great.
See my previous posts for the direct contact with the company - they do ship internationally, although I do not know the cost. Mine were $890US (no shipping charge as I picked them up at the factory) and I only needed 88 feet, being a SN not a SM. Your cost would be somewhat more, of course.
This is a small family business which I found very creditable after visiting the factory.  The contact person, Paula Murador (the owners daughter)  is most helpful and can certainly walk you through a purchase. I think she would like to get several orders together and then offer a group discount, but you need to contact her directly. Here's her contact info:

Paula Murador

Director, Account Manager

9401 NW 106th ST # 111 | Medley, FL 33178
Office: (305)888-6324

Fax:(305)888-6325
www.technorubberindustries.com  

Here's a picture of a sample section installed on my boat.

--
Cheers, Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL